What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Light Mover 411?

Metatron

I've searched and looked to anything about using a light mover with no avail. Can anyone point me in a direction?

TIA

Metatron

Sorry about vagueness, I want to know how to use one properly, timings and distance to tops of plants. Any information on using one would be helpful even a grow journal.

TIA

JOE CHRONIC

Sorry about vagueness, I want to know how to use one properly, timings and distance to tops of plants. Any information on using one would be helpful even a grow journal.

TIA

It's pretty basic, just mount your light mover, attach your light and make sure you have the power cord with enough slack so when it travels from one side to the other it will not bind and turn your light sideways.
I keep a 1000w light with non-air cooled hood about 12"-15" from canopy, but hang where you feel comfortable where the tops won't get burned...

BigBuck

From my experiences, a light mover almost never helps. If you dont have enough light to fill the space, get another light. All your doing is moving the dark spot around the room.

NedFlanders

From my experiences, a light mover almost never helps. If you dont have enough light to fill the space, get another light. All your doing is moving the dark spot around the room.

I agree in flower, however, I use a 1000w on a light rail in veg and it works well.

I have to disagree that they do nothing, it's just for some reason people seem to believe they can double their yield with one. They work great moving your light around a bit within it's usable range. Can really help fill things out.

when I used one i was running a 1k in a 4 x 4 space and moving the lamp about 1 ft off center.

Cartel530

Veteran
there is an adjustable knob on the motor that controls the delay. the light will spend more time over the middle of the plants so you can use this to even the outer growth by turning the delay up and causing the motor to pause at the end pieces longer. i agree you wont double your yield thats a little crazy it just allows you to fully use the 5x5 space that a 1000 can use. it will cause your outer plants to not lean towards your sweet spot if you get your delay right. ive got six moving :)

I totally disagree with the the light mover not doing much. Case in point heres 2kw over a 8x8

Day 32 of flowering:

Here's some new pics, hope you enjoy :D

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

S

SeaMaiden

I liked using my mover, it helped fill in spots that otherwise wouldn't have received much light with a static fixture. However, once I switched to vertizontal parabolics, I couldn't quite figure out how to keep the mover in the equation.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had posed this question in another thread and didn't get any answers. I am building up a rectangular area (30" x 60") and am interested in lighting it with an arrangement that would provide too much light if the lights were stationary or duplicated side-by-side (660w over a 30" x 30", or 1320w over a 60" x 30" area, for 105w/sq ft). However, moving the 32" wide fixture back and forth over the 30" x 60" area results in 53w/sq ft. It would move approximately 2'. Anybody have an idea how this would work out?

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
Light movers are the shit you can put em as close as you want since they are moving thy don't burn tops IMO I love them. Make sure the roof is straight lol don't make the mistake of trying to over work em.

S

SeaMaiden

I had posed this question in another thread and didn't get any answers. I am building up a rectangular area (30" x 60") and am interested in lighting it with an arrangement that would provide too much light if the lights were stationary or duplicated side-by-side (660w over a 30" x 30", or 1320w over a 60" x 30" area, for 105w/sq ft). However, moving the 32" wide fixture back and forth over the 30" x 60" area results in 53w/sq ft. It would move approximately 2'. Anybody have an idea how this would work out?
I've been told that it's really better to have the lights moving on a shorter piece of track vs longer, and that wattage/'sq doesn't sound too bad to me.

What I experienced the first time I used my mover was some odd bleaching, literally looked as though paint or bleach had been splashed on the leaves. That forced me to shift what's practically dogmatic thinking in those who use, or think to use, movers--you use the mover so you can get the light closer to the plants. I had to shift that paradigm, I moved the lights UP, and the bleaching stopped, girls grew pretty well after that. I may have needed to up the nitrogen, but I've yet to see any other N- take on that appearance. Ever since that event I've always kept any lights on movers a bit higher, even though 'common wisdom' says that I'm supposed to keep the lights lower.

The long and the short of it is this--especially if used on shorter tracks, a mover doesn't eliminate the need for extra light, nor does it substitute for extra light, it allows one to better utilize the area to be lit. It fills in the dark areas. My mover is 3' long, btw.

Pix of the bleaching.

Attachments

• CRW_6567-1200.jpg
    CRW_6567-1200.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 3
  • CRW_6571-1200.jpg
    CRW_6571-1200.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 3
  • CRW_6574-1200.jpg
    CRW_6574-1200.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 4
  • CRW_6578-1200.jpg
    CRW_6578-1200.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 3

Metatron

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I'm going to be using my 600w with a friends hand me down mover. Its got 3 foot of track and my room is 8x13. I'm not expecting to fill up the room but was looking more to see whats the most efficient way to mount and the timings that would work best.

Cartel530

Veteran

lol no such thing as too much light:) as long as you can control the heat. i have 3 1k's over a 4'x8' table and soon as i flip the lights in a week ill have 6 1k's over it. however moving your lights the two feet will def be better than just stationary, your ladies will thank you believe me. nothing worse than seeing your ladies stretching for the sweet spot

JOE CHRONIC

Reasons why a light mover is a good idea:

1) Keeps shadows on plants to a minimum.
2) Dissipates heat from canopy and prevents tops from burning allowing you to move light closer to plants.
3) Running 2 lights on movers, I set them on opposite sides of the room so when one is at one end of the room the other is at the other end lighting up the entire room at all times.

*Light movers do not double your light but I would say 2 lights on movers is equivalent to 3 lights in a fixed position.

*They also are best on "non" air cooled hoods due to vent duct binding...