What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

playstation network down

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Wonder if Sony will actually deal with all it's security vulnerabilities now or just go back to pretending like they didn't exist...

Lawsuits to follow

these hackers arent going to get nothing . watch and see like stated its called VPN's and proxys . how can u track someone down whos got a false ip addy.ill bet my life the attacks were launched from non USA servers on mIRC .which were used for control and command centers. thus to make all the botnets attack sony. if it was ran this way nothing will happen at all .the mirc servers are all over the world its not like the attacks come from the ip's attacking the victim . a command is gave which triggers all the bots in a chat room aka channel to attack a given ip with a packet or DOS attack aka floods . more inlikely the network hosting the attacks was hacked also and the person who has all the bots on the network/pc has no clue they been hacked and have a full botnet being controled by someone outside the network on the pc via internet.ive stuck to this story since it hit the public . anyone who knows a lil C/C++ can write one of these progs its not hard when u have google .sucks for the users who paid for the psn network to go threw such things .hope sony makes it right with u guys .

Neo 420

Veteran
these hackers arent going to get nothing . watch and see like stated its called VPN's and proxys . how can u track someone down whos got a false ip addy.ill bet my life the attacks were launched from non USA servers on mIRC .which were used for control and command centers. thus to make all the botnets attack sony. if it was ran this way nothing will happen at all .the mirc servers are all over the world its not like the attacks come from the ip's attacking the victim . a command is gave which triggers all the bots in a chat room aka channel to attack a given ip with a packet or DOS attack aka floods . more inlikely the network hosting the attacks was hacked also and the person who has all the bots on the network/pc has no clue they been hacked and have a full botnet being controled by someone outside the network on the pc via internet.ive stuck to this story since it hit the public . anyone who knows a lil C/C++ can write one of these progs its not hard when u have google .sucks for the users who paid for the psn network to go threw such things .hope sony makes it right with u guys .

What your are describing is a DDOS (disturbed denial of service) attack. The attack on Sony may have included a DDOS attack but the entry and execution was far more complex than a standard DDOS attack. (Sony not releasing to much info on this) The entry into the double firewall meant the attackers had a footprint (through scanning or other means) of the type of firewalls Sony used. Could have been a buffer exploit, injection or even some part of social engineering. But this was no script kiddie hack for sure....

What your are describing is a DDOS (disturbed denial of service) attack. The attack on Sony may have included a DDOS attack but the entry and execution was far more complex than a standard DDOS attack. (Sony not releasing to much info on this) The entry into the double firewall meant the attackers had a footprint (through scanning or other means) of the type of firewalls Sony used. Could have been a buffer exploit, injection or even some part of social engineering. But this was no script kiddie hack for sure....

if u own a botnet, u obviously already got the scanning tools . but i agree with u .....scanning tools are easy to find if u know the right terms to search for .its not hard to also find botnet sources out on the nets programming/hacker forums . but yes i wouldnt doubt scanned and slammed . this is what happens folks when u dont keep security up to date or be cheap about it . windows updates , AVirus updates and all hardware and software should always be up to date as possible to keep up on security

slackx

Veteran
Yep, a cheap winsocket C++ program is all it takes to open 50,000 concurrent connections.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Well if they are gonna have a welcome back package like everytime somthing like this happens i'm all for it.

I got four games in total, Zombie Nation, Wipeout HD, Littlebig planet (PSP) and Modnation (PSP).

well chuffed.

Eggy

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im playing with it so far its sucks. I just checked and it does not renew the PS3+ After the 30 days it drops off. I went in to cancel it and it says cancellation date 7/9/11

Last edited:

Justin_Credible

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary....
Veteran
I know that i'll forget to cancel the subscription to PS plus.. so have passed on that.

loving WipeOut-HD though even the Mrs is playing it with me :eek:

wish i would have dl'd wipeout instead of dead nation. :faint:

im playing with it so far its sucks. I just checked and it does not renew the PS3+ After the 30 days it drops off. I went in to cancel it and it says cancellation date 7/9/11

so what is the big deal with playstation plus? why pay for something that is already free? j.c. dl'd playstation plus but do not see any big difference in it? i was told i could get another free game for subscribing to ps3 plus.
:dunno:

:wave:

:joint:

I downloaded little big planet because the wife has wanted it for a while and then went to download infamous for me and I didn't have enough room. I don't have any cash right now to buy a new hd or an external hd. Do I have any other options? I wish sony would just send out a hard copy of it. lol

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
JC I dont know about the free game. I do know that you get games at discount prices online game play crap some other things. I dont like it not worth the money imo.

Justin_Credible

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary....
Veteran
I downloaded little big planet because the wife has wanted it for a while and then went to download infamous for me and I didn't have enough room. I don't have any cash right now to buy a new hd or an external hd. Do I have any other options? I wish sony would just send out a hard copy of it. lol

So, everytime you play a new game there is an install. Even i fyou rent a game there is a small/large install that takes all your hdd space from you. Go into the icon that says game (the controller icon) and scroll up. You will see two folders...one folder called game data and another that have every install of every game you have ever played. Some of these can be as big as 4 gigs in space they are taking up on ur hdd.
Delete the ones you do not need and you will have plenty of space.
Oh BTW...infamous kicks ass! Great choice, little big planet made me feel like i was in kindergarten again tho.
:laughing:
:wave:

JC I dont know about the free game. I do know that you get games at discount prices online game play crap some other things. I dont like it not worth the money imo.

:yeahthats

That was why j.c. was asking you. Just wanted to make sure nothing was being missed by j.c. on this. Cannot see spending money on something that is already free and makes me happy.
:dunno: