What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I love the hottest peppers!

B

bonecarver_OG

Third Coast - thats how my garden is going to look like in a few weeks. i started late this season :D

i use canes for giving suport to the pepper plants.

what i find anoying with raised beds in my very dry climate is, it drys up so much it turns into a thick hard crust just in 2 days. i should put on muching soon....

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
lol your plants are huge guys..
Here are mine Habbaneros:

picture.php

picture.php

There are like 1 month old :X
Hope to see some explosive grow soon :dance013:

B

bonecarver_OG

i think peppers speed up a bit after they get about 4 leaves. then it gets faster by the day depending on soil mix and sun :D

D

dramamine

damn..third coast is killin it with that giant pepper garden. bonecarver's I can only imagine...awesome info and links, thanks BC!

Cascabella...beautiful colours and great flavor...hot, but not killer.
picture.php

and the datils are ready to pick...I love these, unique flavor and real hot..
picture.php

keep it fiery, dudes

supermanlives

Veteran
looks good to me^^^^ i plan on putting 2 bhuts on the edge of my property by the street. i wanna see people steal them and laugh

B

bonecarver_OG

dramamine - :) i wish mine were that big and had chilis to pick!

i got lots of plants, and thanks to the good climate i should get a nice yield if nothing strange happens :)

i dunno exactly how many chili plants i got. its many :) in most mounds i have left 2-3 plants, and in some 4 - i admit there is some single plant mounds too. i know got 30 exotic chilis (the last plants i took out), mostly baccatums, the cayenne i guess is around 30-50x, and the local chilis is 10. sweet peppers i got maybe up to 70.

in the mounds where i got 3 i braided them :) hehe inspired by the pic from earlier on in the thread. anyway, none of my plants are too big yet :)

man that datil looks tasty! if u only growing those two chilis, u should keep seeds!

the other day i got my hands on some african or mexican tiny dried chilis, that were full of seeds :) so while preparing a chili sauce i saved lots of seeds. gonna be fun to see the coming year how they go :)

rigth now my cayennes are most of them starting to get proper flowering size, and im letting them flower.. now i got some time over so i been crawling almost around the bushes hand polinating all flowers i could. my method might be brute, but i grab the flowers from the outside of the petals, and give a light squeze to force contact with the male and female flowers. :) it works well - :) you can hand polinated 20+ flowers in a few minutes. there is no need to use a cotton swab or such if the male and female flowes are on same height as they are in most cultivars.

im left to see closer on the exotic ones later if this also aplies to the baccatums and chinense.

i hope to have some pics to share soon.

M

michael68

Cool stuff guys. I think next year I will just use 3 gallon pots with a nice soil mix and maybe put a few in the ground. Not the best soil here, it's alright with some compost worked in and fertilizer. I heard the plants can produce more fruits in the pots because it stresses them out a bit or something.

I'm also about to buy some dried Bhut Jolokias to sample. Trying to sample different peppers, love em.

B

bonecarver_OG

test lab as far as i know and read was some non profesional lab.

as far as i know its regarded a bit as a hoax.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/4081/

but you cant really argue with New Mexico State University. they dedicate a lot of work to chili breeding and are VERY serious.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071026162420.htm

and since all of the "new" strong chilis are only inbreeding av allready established genetics, atleast talking about the bhut jolokia. basicly i agree with botanists that say its not possible to create a new strain on this basis. its just a selection work. so in the end the record holder is still the bhut jolokia. unless its hybrids like the 7 pots or such.

i dunno i can be wrong. i just smoked a fat spliff.

anybody heard about this one?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070709104115.htm

D

dramamine

Those nematode resistant habaneros are interesting, Bone. Lots of those nematodes around here...that's why everything has to be in containers outside. Maybe I can get ahold of those seeds and try some in amended holes or raised beds. Another great link...thanks dude!

B

bonecarver_OG

wooot!! that there makes my mouth water! awesome harvest dramamine!

M

michael68

Nice harvest, my cayenne has some flowers on it.

My dried bhut jolokias came in the mail today along with the dried powder. Any advice for trying one?

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
what type would you grow if you wanted to make your own pepper spray? and how would i extract it? i want the most potent eye burning pepper there is lol

B

bonecarver_OG

michael 68 - yeah man my cayennes are also all flowering and some are allready pushing out chilis hehe :D

i would use the bhut jolokia to make a chilisauce...

aero guerilla - hehe :) try to use any really potent chili and try extracting the capsaicine. i dunno maybe a butane extraction should work? hehe but sounds scetchy.

because once the capsaicine is in cristaline form i think it seems very scary to work with. as far as i know its handled in laboratories with whole body and breathing protection. one tiny cristal in ur eye or ur lung can propably be too much...

peace

M

michael68

Just had my first whole Bhut Jolokia (from bhut-jolokia.net, pretty sure it's a legit bhut, oven-dried from India).

Lasted about 5 minutes which is actually quite short but it definitely had me pacing back and forth and drinking milk as I'm not used to hot stuff lol. Could feel it in my ears, it hits you so fast. I expected more but it's still really hot.

Latest posts

Latest posts