What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need help with gel caps

Hi all,

I am having major problems making gel caps. I have been using coconut oil/cannabis mixture, but they are just a pain to pack into the gel caps. This last batch, I tried to replicate the cannabrex tech, but I must be using too much coco-oil.

They state that you are to use 7 droppers with 6.5 grams of powdered cannabis. It then states that the mixture might be a little oily. The best I can tell is that is not even 1/2 ml, and put into 6.5 grams cannabis- it is nowhere near oily! Anyone know if a cannabrex eye dropper is a standard eye dropper? If I didn't have employment problems, I would order cannabrex, but right now it is not possible.

I have a nice 1.25 gram chunk of bho that I want to use, but I am scared of wasting! I have already used up about 30 grams of cannabis, and I have another 6.5 grams mixed with coconut oil/corn starch right now, and no matter how much corn starch I add, it is still paste like. I want it to be dry!!

Anybody have any good ideas on filling gel caps with coconut oil/cannabis? I wouldn't mind doing it while it is liquid or even paste like, but you get a huge air pocket (you then have to use a tooth pick and pack individually each one-ugghh!!) I have used a big syringe/needle, but still get the air pocket. Toothpick, card, etc.

Any help with the caps would be greatly apreciated!!!

kind regards,
as

P

Paranoid one

Do you know how cooks use the decorating icing bags?

Take a ziplock bag, fill it up with the mix, cut a tiny hole on the corner of the bag and squeeze the mix into the cap.

Hope i helped.

Thanks PO, I really wanted to get the oil into a powder consistency, but may try a paste again sometime. That sounds like a great idea (my needle would get clogged when using a syringe, and so would the syringe w/o the needle).
I did, however, finally achieve my goal. I used bho mixed with coconut oil and corn starch. I mixed at these proportions: 2ml coconut oil, .5gram bho, 7.25grams corn starch. Decarbed the oil/bho mix, added the corn starch, and mixed the best I could. I then put it in a coffee grinder and mixed. The results were a powder that was easily carded into gel caps and packed nicely....with no MESS!! Hope it helps anyone else looking for an exact recipe for this. Not paste, but more powder like.
regards,
as

Hey JRace, I thank you very much for the info!! That was just what I was looking for, and I think I was pretty close with my mixture. I will tweak the next batch slightly (looks like a little more bho).
Peace bro,
as

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all,

I am having major problems making gel caps. I have been using coconut oil/cannabis mixture, but they are just a pain to pack into the gel caps. This last batch, I tried to replicate the cannabrex tech, but I must be using too much coco-oil.

They state that you are to use 7 droppers with 6.5 grams of powdered cannabis. It then states that the mixture might be a little oily. The best I can tell is that is not even 1/2 ml, and put into 6.5 grams cannabis- it is nowhere near oily! Anyone know if a cannabrex eye dropper is a standard eye dropper? If I didn't have employment problems, I would order cannabrex, but right now it is not possible.

I have a nice 1.25 gram chunk of bho that I want to use, but I am scared of wasting! I have already used up about 30 grams of cannabis, and I have another 6.5 grams mixed with coconut oil/corn starch right now, and no matter how much corn starch I add, it is still paste like. I want it to be dry!!

Anybody have any good ideas on filling gel caps with coconut oil/cannabis? I wouldn't mind doing it while it is liquid or even paste like, but you get a huge air pocket (you then have to use a tooth pick and pack individually each one-ugghh!!) I have used a big syringe/needle, but still get the air pocket. Toothpick, card, etc.

Any help with the caps would be greatly apreciated!!!

kind regards,
as

I mix straight BHO with coconut oil and cornstarch to a consistency of silly putty and squirt it through a plastic syringe I picked up in an art store and shortened the tapered tip on to make the opening larger.

A modeling clay extruder will also work. The ones that some folks use to make a hash press out of.

GW

T

theJointedOne

dam gray wolf your a master of this stuff. thanks for the great info

Metatron

I mix straight BHO with coconut oil and cornstarch to a consistency of silly putty and squirt it through a plastic syringe I picked up in an art store and shortened the tapered tip on to make the opening larger.

A modeling clay extruder will also work. The ones that some folks use to make a hash press out of.

GW

How much BHO do you work with at a time? Is it something you do with a whole extraction or can you do it in smaller batches say... 1-2 grams at a time?

TIA

M-

Thanks PO, I really wanted to get the oil into a powder consistency, but may try a paste again sometime. That sounds like a great idea (my needle would get clogged when using a syringe, and so would the syringe w/o the needle).
I did, however, finally achieve my goal. I used bho mixed with coconut oil and corn starch. I mixed at these proportions: 2ml coconut oil, .5gram bho, 7.25grams corn starch. Decarbed the oil/bho mix, added the corn starch, and mixed the best I could. I then put it in a coffee grinder and mixed. The results were a powder that was easily carded into gel caps and packed nicely....with no MESS!! Hope it helps anyone else looking for an exact recipe for this. Not paste, but more powder like.
regards,
as

How many caps produced? And which size? Thx

regards,
as

Instead of waiting for answer I decided to try the recipe myself and report back. I ended up having to add another 1g of corn starch. For a total of 8.5 g to make a nice powder. The recipe yielded 20.5 "00" gel caps at .5powder /cap. Around there a 1x dose of an bho edible is 1g to 90 doses. So these are about 2x.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How much BHO do you work with at a time? Is it something you do with a whole extraction or can you do it in smaller batches say... 1-2 grams at a time?

TIA

M-

Sorry to just notice this bro!

I usually work with ten grams or more making meds.

I however often play with a couple of grams at a time researching new territory in the lab, because sometimes the experiment doesn't work out well and I hate to see a grown man cry, especially when it is me.

cravin morehead

Veteran
don't mean to but in...

don't mean to but in...

hey argyle- i've been making canna-capsules for a while now. never used bho though, have used bubble hash/bud mix though.i'll show my process, maybe it will help you. ( if u don't like it, show me the door, no hard feelings )

first, i grind all the bud and mix in the hash, kief or whatever is going in the mix. then i decarb it in the oven.

next, after decarbing, i add it to my coconut oil in a double-boiler set-up. i usually cook the mixture for an hour or so. then i strain it through a fine-mesh tea filter, while its still warm and liquid. leaving me with this:

then i set up my capsules in the capsule making machine. i then wait for the mixture to cool to around 115*f. i've found this is a safe temp to fill the capsules and won't melt them:

then i use a 5ml pippette with the end cut a little bigger to suck up the warm liquid and fill the capsules. i fill them to the first ring towards the top. and add 4 drops to the capsule tops also:

then i put the liquid filled capsules ( both tops and bottoms ) in the fridge to cool down and solidify slightly. until they look like this:

then i use the machine to close them up. i then store them in an opaque container in the fridge. i've found by doing it this way, i have a relatively small amount of air inside the capsules. be careful not to overfill or they won't close right and make a mess.

hope this helps you and/or someone out there...

CM :headbange