What's new

Woodworkers of IC

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jimmy,I mostly work with big hunks of wood,and the nature of my work means I dont have to worry about my joinery being structural,I do love that style of work,you would be truly appalled watching me abuse my jap saws,heck i put them away and just got a cheap beater to kill. my joints can be thing of cleverness in a tough spot or 75% epoxy!!

philcollins

you guys...much props...i am impressed so much by woodworking...i wanna do it myself...i wonder where to start...anyone got any tips for a rookie?....whats a good lil project i could start on...with limited tools....hmmmm...

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh yeah I cut by hand as well..... when it's something for me. My specialty is sharpening. With my chisels and planes I can cut end grain of QSWO and read a newspaper through the shavings. :) I use Japanese saws for hand cut. My jig and router turn out a nicer product and anything more than 8 tails I will use the jig.

I have a sample of some dovetails in cherry and box joints I hand cut. I'll search through the test bin and snap a pic.

Cheers

Edit, also looking for pics of a kitchen I did all the cabinets in hickory.

awesome man. I do all my own sharpening myself as well. I use norton water stones.

Here's a pic of two more of my favorites. Lie-nielsen bevel edge socket chisels, 1/4" and 3/4". They're modeled after old school stanley socket chisels. These are the best chisels I've ever owned. They hold an edge very well and because of the socket design I can turn my own handles on my lathe. Those are the stock handles though. They're made from ironwood. The steel is A2 but I think they offer them in O1 now.

picture.php

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you guys...much props...i am impressed so much by woodworking...i wanna do it myself...i wonder where to start...anyone got any tips for a rookie?....whats a good lil project i could start on...with limited tools....hmmmm...

when I started I made a birdhouse with a drill, cheap jig saw, and a hammer and nails.... worst looking thing you've ever saw in your life!!!, lol, it still hangs to this day though

where to start is the hardest question to answer. I started by coveting a shop full of great power tools and I ended up with a shop full great hand tools. I still use of my power tools, but I prefer to use 100% hand tools if I can. I would even recommend taking a few local classes first and see what you really enjoy. You might like carving more than cabinet making, or turning on a lathe might be more your speed.

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice touch. I thought you pulled off some sort of crazy japanese joint or something, lol.

JapJoint4.jpg
Ha no I wish I had that kinda skill. Woodfiller is my friend.

GeorgeSmiley can't wait to see your work, I'm just starting to get into dovetailing, dadoing etc. Might take a class at the comm college.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I started with a swiss army knife,but I also learned from two master woodworkers,so that may have helped!!:biggrin:

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran

You just have to start somewhere. When I was 7 my dad gave me an eggbeater drill, a brace and bit set, planes and chisels all 1965ish vintage. ie nothing special. Between those tools and some odds and ends I made bird houses and crafts til about 15 when I started buying my own tools.

Just start with something. Buy a piece of finished wood and start drilling and sawing on it. You don't have to jump right in and start working with rough sawn wood etc etc. Just start, see if you like it and go from there.

awesome man. I do all my own sharpening myself as well. I use norton water stones.

Here's a pic of two more of my favorites. Lie-nielsen bevel edge socket chisels, 1/4" and 3/4". They're modeled after old school stanley socket chisels. These are the best chisels I've ever owned. They hold an edge very well and because of the socket design I can turn my own handles on my lathe. Those are the stock handles though. They're made from ironwood. The steel is A2 but I think they offer them in O1 now.

picture.php

I bought a set of Marbles blue handle chisles about 8-9 years ago and can't say enough about them. I don't know if the quality is the same. You did however have to knock down some seams on the resin handles.

I used some Lie Nielson chisels with handles similar to yours and they were heaven for intricate work.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you dont need much,i built the bench myself if you couldnt tell
picture.php

dont use that many tools,of course theres more!!
picture.php

my bench guardian J... rest in peace friend...the master carver I learned from
picture.php

work in progress
picture.php

picture.php

:tumbleweed:

1Life2Live

Anyone have any projects they are working on this summer?? I am no pro but like to play aorund with some wood and build things. I have built a oak and teak poker table several coffee tables and a handfull of other things. I just dont have the space to have a large shop like I would want. Still it is fun and relaxing. I am a carpenter by trade also.

Latest posts

Latest posts