What's new

Woodworkers of IC

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys! Glad to see this thread! I'm an amateur /self taught woodworker here (which will be evident in my work :) ). Mostly I just really like the idea of building my own furniture instead of buying that mdf vennered crap that you see nowadays. Here's a few things I've done in the past, and currently I'm working on a solid walnut butcherblock coffee table.

Red Oak Shaker style bench:
picture.php

Old Growth yellow pine side table w/ cherry inlay. I got the wood from a friend who was remodeling and old farm house. The pine was actually tongue and groove flooring circa the 1920's or so.

picture.php

picture.php

And a dvd cabinet, made from poplar. I really like the grain and colors in poplar.

picture.php

Antique brass I picked up at.

picture.php

picture.php

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow fishstick, respect from me man, that shit looks great! I'm not a good carver, and I've got the scars to prove it :D

I made my desk in this picture from found wood,some from the Gulf of Mexico and some parts from around town.Almost all of our furnishings are homemade.
Yeah man I love it, reduce, reuse, recycle! There's something about making your own furniture.

Calimed

Veteran
i have a couple of custom made blades i use a lot,made by an old japanese guy...

ever been to Hardwick's in Seattle? i'm getting a little 'wood' thinking about it,some many shiny tools!! heck,i would be happy with a craftsman bandsaw,i'm sure i would destroy it quickly,but i charge a crapload for the carvings...

Love Hardwicks :). Used to get all my wood there. Unfortunately I don't have the space to do much work where I am at now, but as soon as I get the space again...I'm busting out the craftsman!

L

lid

beautiful work guys. I'm a old finish carpenter here myself. i'll try to dig up some pics.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Y'all.I'm kind of a hack but I favor working with wood over any other material.I made my desk in this picture from found wood,some from the Gulf of Mexico and some parts from around town.Almost all of our furnishings are homemade.

UncleF.S....Those carvings are incredibly cool.I like them alot.
So, you guys still have all your digits ?hahaha

Wow fishstick, respect from me man, that shit looks great! I'm not a good carver, and I've got the scars to prove it :D

Yeah man I love it, reduce, reuse, recycle! There's something about making your own furniture.

Wow gang,major props to all!! cobcoop,pineboy,nice stuff!! yeah,i have all my digits,quite a bit of scar tissue,but I almost never use power tools of any sort,its pretty hard to cut your hand off with a hand saw!!

I'm just getting started with furniture,or more just tarting up already existing furniture,I seem to be incapable of cutting straight lines!! I swear i can cut a curved line with a table saw!!:whistling:

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
beautiful work guys. I'm a old finish carpenter here myself. i'll try to dig up some pics.
Bring it, love to see what you got.

unclefishstick said:
I swear i can cut a curved line with a table saw!!
Ha, my taper jig + table saw will be the death of me, I swear.

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
awesome work guys, I love seeing shit like that.

Cobcoop, are those spline joints or something on the legs of that small table?

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ha!! I'll be the death of myself!! after working on this dish for 70 hours or so I managed to crack the lip while i was sanding it!!! F*&K!!

no one else can even see it,but I know its there,thats what i get for making it eggshell thin in places:biggrin:
picture.php

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice bowl fish..with a spout for the seeded weed? Some great work in this thread..DD

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks doobie,no just hauled it outside for pics,old camera,have spot to shoot pics in the growroom now!!

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
awesome work guys, I love seeing shit like that.

Cobcoop, are those spline joints or something on the legs of that small table?
Nope, just routed and inlay for decoration.

Fishstick, man that bowl is nice, that's a lot of work man, what kind of wood is that?

Weird Jimmy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nope, just routed and inlay for decoration.

Fishstick, man that bowl is nice, that's a lot of work man, what kind of wood is that?

nice touch. I thought you pulled off some sort of crazy japanese joint or something, lol.

JapJoint4.jpg

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I have a full woodshop. My pride and joy is my 10" 52inch rip cabinet saw. 3hp motor running and can put a nickle on edge and it stays that way. :D

I've been thinking of making some exotic sifting screens. Hey CC you ever been to Gilmer woods out on St Helens Rd? For my money the most amazing place. Check out gilmerwoods and be amazed at 25' long slabs of bubinga. I have access to the screen material..... Feels like time to fire up the dovetail jig and make something.

I spent the last 3 years setting up my shop then moved and it's still packed. Liked making shelves, cabinets, boxes. Ohh yeah, apprenticed making high dollar poolcues but that's metal working machines.

Weird Jimmy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a full woodshop. My pride and joy is my 10" 52inch rip cabinet saw. 3hp motor running and can put a nickle on edge and it stays that way. :D

I've been thinking of making some exotic sifting screens. Hey CC you ever been to Gilmer woods out on St Helens Rd? For my money the most amazing place. Check out gilmerwoods and be amazed at 25' long slabs of bubinga. I have access to the screen material..... Feels like time to fire up the dovetail jig and make something.

I spent the last 3 years setting up my shop then moved and it's still packed. Liked making shelves, cabinets, boxes. Ohh yeah, apprenticed making high dollar poolcues but that's metal working machines.

have you ever cut dovetails by hand? Takes a little practice, but unless you're doing a batch cuts or something with a ton of dovetails, it can actually be faster than a jig.

Weird Jimmy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
unclefish, if you like japanese joinery somewhere on the web there's an awesome video of a guy making a birds mouth joint all by hand. It may be worth a look if you can find it.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
have you ever cut dovetails by hand? Takes a little practice, but unless you're doing a batch cuts or something with a ton of dovetails, it can actually be faster than a jig.

Oh yeah I cut by hand as well..... when it's something for me. My specialty is sharpening. With my chisels and planes I can cut end grain of QSWO and read a newspaper through the shavings. :) I use Japanese saws for hand cut. My jig and router turn out a nicer product and anything more than 8 tails I will use the jig.

I have a sample of some dovetails in cherry and box joints I hand cut. I'll search through the test bin and snap a pic.

Cheers

Edit, also looking for pics of a kitchen I did all the cabinets in hickory.

Latest posts

Latest posts