What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pros of legalization, go!

W

We Wait

I guess when it comes to legalization everyone has a different idea of what it is or what it should be. Some feel if they can have a small home grow and possess a personal amount of bud it's legal. Others don't consider it legal unless there are absolutely no restrictions...

This is where I see a dilemma within the legalization movement. Most of us agree it should be legal but can't agree what legal is or where we should go with it. How many of you in a prohibition state would gladly accept a law that would allow up to an ounce or two in possession and a home grow with no more than 6 flowering plants? Personally, I'd take it in a heartbeat. It would be such a relief not having to always be on the lookout just to get relief from nightly pain and insomnia. Not to mention, I wouldn't have to hear people I know piss and moan about how pot is an illegal drug.

I feel all the pros greatly outweigh the cons, at least on a personal level. As for the concern about big companies and govt. taking over I really have no worries. Supply and demand will sort all that out. Good luck getting stoners to buy corporate weed vs what mom and pops grow. The biggest difference today compared to the past has been that people are now becoming much more educated about pot compared to yesteryear. Legalization, even on a small scale, has opened many eyes to the bullshit known as reefer madness and prohibition.

That's the problem! Your post like a lot of others in the past flat out exposes who you all are.

Who in the hell are all of you people to tell me what to do in life? It's already long over due as is. It's salt in a wound now.
What gives men (this goes for everyone) like you, the right to determine and over rule men like me? Tell me how many plants I should grow and tell me if I can sell my crop off or not. I say fuck off to all of you, just about every single last one of you, undeserving.

Fact is, that none of you have the right to tell me but you do it anyway just like the cops and their fake drug war careers. They are all flat out assholes and humanity needs to be taught a serious lesson is the bottom line.

Like an electrical hemp car in the 1940's, none of you will get nothing.

Last edited:

mushroombrew

Veteran
The main potential pro is large scale medical research so that we can finally take full advantage. There are a lot of desperate folks gambling on RSO or something similar when they got few other options and all options suck. I'd rather that a little bit more is known for sure before I'm in those shoes, I might even never get to those shoes if we're lucky and pot really does have potential as a cancer cure-all.
Some shit like that would be the ultimate hippie vindication. If pot really did cure cancer then we could say anything and they'd have to buy it if it were true or not. Psilocibin probably does cure migraines but there would be no hurt in making up stories about everything on the schedule 1 list and freeing all the drugs. Angel dust might be good for a sprained ankle or maybe not, ride the boat and find out for yourself.

I have been doing research on cannabinoids and their effect on tumor cells.

Like you said it's on the schedule so human trials are impossible in the states... I am looking to Europe/Israel.

You got to realize who we are up against. Big pharma is $515B annually in the US. That's half of the planets drug profit?!!

Cancer treatment will reach $50B per year in 2020. Are they curing cancer? No way. They would be out of business. Far more likely to give us cancer. FDA? haha! They protect consumers right? Sure.

The Cannabis industry is tiny in comparison.

Oh and did you know they influence all networks? Pharma provides 70% of TV network advertising funds. So the networks never air stories of drugs making people sick. Unless it happens to be Marijuana related lol.

They are in all the politicians pockets.

They are in control of the FDA.

As such I highly doubt it will ever be descheduled. And if it does the FDA will put more red tape than you thought existed on Cannabis.

So only the very biggest players(Pharma, Phillip Morris, Monsanto, Syngenta) can afford to operate. Philip M. spent $20M on CBD research in 2016. They are getting into the game. You will see.

Cannabis is NOT legal. It is regulated. Big difference gents.

And the whole not going to jail thing? Haha you sure about that guys?

Many "Legal" guys can't sell their product. I see one per week getting clipped doing BM moves.

Cali wants to release loads of prisoners. Great. Do you realize there are no halfway houses available. People already stay in past their release date; as there is no room to process them back into the society. What a mess.

As for PCP. Your ankle will feel fine. You will be able to walk perfect. But the hallucinations...not so much.

soil margin

Veteran
gotta start somewhere.

I've been calling politicans.

Wot should I say?

I know what I'm going to say is that there is something fundamentally corrupt, wrong, etc. with voters legalizing something, yet those voters have absolutely no say in writing the laws. The regulations get decided by special interest groups, corporations, corrupt govt officials and there is absolutely zero input from real voters and taxpayers.

All of the laws were seeing so far are anti small business, anti home grower, anti consumer. It's very clear who is getting their interests represented and it's definitely not people like myself.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I know what I'm going to say is that there is something fundamentally corrupt, wrong, etc. with voters legalizing something, yet those voters have absolutely no say in writing the laws. The regulations get decided by special interest groups, corporations, corrupt govt officials and there is absolutely zero input from real voters and taxpayers.

All of the laws were seeing so far are anti small business, anti home grower, anti consumer. It's very clear who is getting their interests represented and it's definitely not people like myself.

Well said!

angelgoob

Called the White House today and left a message to the President's office.

One sentence.

"There are alcohol people, and there are cannabis people, now can we enjoy the freedom they have?"

The lady on the phone said it was very well-spoken!

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
That's the problem! Your post like a lot of others in the past flat out exposes who you all are.

Who in the hell are all of you people to tell me what to do in life? It's already long over due as is. It's salt in a wound now.
What gives men (this goes for everyone) like you, the right to determine and over rule men like me? Tell me how many plants I should grow and tell me if I can sell my crop off or not. I say fuck off to all of you, just about every single last one of you, undeserving.

Fact is, that none of you have the right to tell me but you do it anyway just like the cops and their fake drug war careers. They are all flat out assholes and humanity needs to be taught a serious lesson is the bottom line.

Like an electrical hemp car in the 1940's, none of you will get nothing.

Hey, I agree that it is not my place to put rules and regulations upon anyone and by all means live life the way you feel fit as long as it doesn't endanger the lives of others. If you want to grow a field of plants and sell every single one than go for it.

I know not everyone agrees, and that's the point I'm trying to make, that people who use/grow cannabis are not all on the same page in terms of where cannabis law should stand in the future. Pro-drug war politicians, DEA and most police can all agree where they stand on the issue and will propose legislation or vote accordingly.

If you think cannabis should remain illegal or it should be completely legal with no restrictions than more power to you. Cannabis legalization is a not a new idea at all but it being put into law certainly is. To go from a prohibition state to one with absolutely no restrictions is not going to happen just yet. Believe me, I would love to have absolute freedom more than anyone and would gladly support it. As much as I agree with you that police and other people should have no say in what I do, they very much affect what I do. Being able to even have a little bit of freedom is the difference between being able to grow for my needs stress and risk free or being a criminal.

I know there are many with an all or nothing mentality but it is equally frustrating for me to know that someone would turn away a law that would give me and others that freedom simply because it's not legal enough for their tastes. What's the alternative? Continue prohibition and keep putting people behind bars? I know not all will agree, but some freedom is better than none and it opens the door for more freedom in the future. Just look at what is happening because two states said screw the federal govt. and went legal. Legalization is now a very realistic dream for other states with the potential for the Federal govt. in the U.S. to have to change it's policies to accommodate. This change would open the door for more countries to go legal. Not to mention the overall public opinion on pot has softened since states have gone medical or legal which is a game changer in itself.

A question to all of you in the green states, would you rather go back to how it was before or keep what you have now and try to move forward?

I know some will say if there are restrictions than it's not even legal, But cannabis has psychoactive properties and no drug or alcohol is without regulation. The difference is you wouldn't be a criminal to have or use it.

Feel free to disagree with or criticize my opinion.

St. Phatty

gotta start somewhere.

I've been calling politicans.

Wot should I say?

ask them to send me the organic horse manure that psychologist in LA (Robby Strong) sent to Greedy Asshole of the Treasury, Steve Mnuchin, at his Bel Air AND Beverly Hills homes.

I wonder what Mnuchin's gardeners think about the horse manure. "Don't throw it away, that stuff's good !"

soil margin

Veteran
"There are alcohol people, and there are cannabis people, now can we enjoy the freedom they have?"

Great point. Where I live there are breweries and bars on pretty much every block, which doesn't seem to bother a soul. Yet if I want to try and open a growroom or dispensary, the attitude changes to: "WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!"

The treatment of cannabis needs to be equitable with any other regulated substance like alcohol, tobacco, etc. or else it's not really legal in my opinion. The word "legal" inherently implies freedom which cannabis clearly doesn't have under most of these states laws.

soil margin

Veteran
But cannabis has psychoactive properties

Some cannabis has psychoactive properties. Hemp is cannabis, it's not psychoactive. Pure CBD strains are cannabis, but not psychoactive.

The fact that SOME cannabis is psychoactive is not a legitimate reason for unreasonable regulation of the plant in all it's forms.

In reality, the fact that something is psychoactive at all should be irrelevant to it's legality or regulation. That should be determined entirely by it's safety profile. If it's dangerous, let the govt regulate it to inform people that it's dangerous, and if it's not, the govt should keep its hands away from the pie. Right now were seeing the government "legalize" it while still trying to pretend that it's dangerous and claim they have a legitimate reason for draconian laws and regulation.

Betterhaff

Veteran
The powers that be want their cut of the $’s. Just like when alcohol prohibition ended…the taxes on booze came to be.

The problem with cannabis, they fear not being able to control the plant. It can be grown all over with little difficulty. Probably easier than brewing your on beer or wine. And better quality cannabis is easier to grow than what quality you might produce with your home brew. And it’s just easier to run to the corner market and buy a six-pack or bottle, taxes included. (I’m not bashing homebrewers, I’ve had some fine homebrewed product, just generally speaking).

W

We Wait

Hey, I agree that it is not my place to put rules and regulations upon anyone and by all means live life the way you feel fit as long as it doesn't endanger the lives of others. If you want to grow a field of plants and sell every single one than go for it.

I know not everyone agrees, and that's the point I'm trying to make, that people who use/grow cannabis are not all on the same page in terms of where cannabis law should stand in the future. Pro-drug war politicians, DEA and most police can all agree where they stand on the issue and will propose legislation or vote accordingly.

If you think cannabis should remain illegal or it should be completely legal with no restrictions than more power to you. Cannabis legalization is a not a new idea at all but it being put into law certainly is. To go from a prohibition state to one with absolutely no restrictions is not going to happen just yet. Believe me, I would love to have absolute freedom more than anyone and would gladly support it. As much as I agree with you that police and other people should have no say in what I do, they very much affect what I do. Being able to even have a little bit of freedom is the difference between being able to grow for my needs stress and risk free or being a criminal.

I know there are many with an all or nothing mentality but it is equally frustrating for me to know that someone would turn away a law that would give me and others that freedom simply because it's not legal enough for their tastes. What's the alternative? Continue prohibition and keep putting people behind bars? I know not all will agree, but some freedom is better than none and it opens the door for more freedom in the future. Just look at what is happening because two states said screw the federal govt. and went legal. Legalization is now a very realistic dream for other states with the potential for the Federal govt. in the U.S. to have to change it's policies to accommodate. This change would open the door for more countries to go legal. Not to mention the overall public opinion on pot has softened since states have gone medical or legal which is a game changer in itself.

A question to all of you in the green states, would you rather go back to how it was before or keep what you have now and try to move forward?

I know some will say if there are restrictions than it's not even legal, But cannabis has psychoactive properties and no drug or alcohol is without regulation. The difference is you wouldn't be a criminal to have or use it.

Feel free to disagree with or criticize my opinion.

You say its not your place while making it your place in the same post. Contradiction.

I'm on my 150th grow or something so what do you know. Yea you all stand together cops/black market so you can both have your side money and fake law enforcement careers. It takes two to tango.

Turn away your bogus plant limit law? Yes why I do.

Poop on you and your bogus laws. How about they just leave people alone and quit making up bullshit laws that harm people but they gonna do it anyway, of course.

I never said it should remain illegal. Yes it should be completely legal with no restrictions and if you have a problem with that, then you are the problem. Little bit of freedom my ass. It's just a ploy like soil margin described above to keep the dirty money game going. 6 plants, I eat that for breakfast and like I said who are all of you, to tell me. The cops are the criminals.

Continue prohibition and keep putting people behind bars?

It's the cops and all of them (state) who want to continue prohibition with (your world was built on it). Your stupid rules and regulations that you spout and your desires for money is involved some way, otherwise none of you would even give a fuck at all about any of this.

opens the door for more freedom in the future for assholes that is.

Just look at what is happening because two states said screw the federal govt. and went legal. Legalization is now a very realistic dream for other states with the potential for the Federal govt. in the U.S. to have to change it's policies to accommodate. This change would open the door for more countries to go legal. Not to mention the overall public opinion on pot has softened since states have gone medical or legal which is a game changer in itself.

Legalization is not the proper definition that you apply to it. That's rude capitalization while prohibition continues in the form of oppression for special interest groups that now represent the STATES new cash cow. Like soil margin said again.

That's not what this is about though. You factor in the last 45 years prohibition, then on top of that the new, prolonged prohibition from 2012 in the name of greed stores, phony careers and side games,on top of that.

So as you can see, it's people that are the problem.

The single biggest positive I can think of will be that older folks who avoided getting med cards because of financial reasons, or old taboos will easily be able to procure meds. Shoot, not even all young people know how easy it was (not anymore, read MMRSA) to get your med card, so imagine how many older folks avoided getting one because they didn't know all the ins and outs.

Before you call me crazy on the 'harder to get your med card' comment, know that I just renewed mine two weeks ago in the bay area, and the doc there told me that the majority of the clinics in town will be closing after New Years. I don't know whether places are closing because they are scared of MMRSA, or they just foresee a drop in business, but regardless, if a bunch of script clinics close that's already making it more difficult to go medical. Plus, the few clinics that remain will probably start charging a premium for scripts because of the point of sale discount you get with a script.

I suggest avoiding getting med cards in any state that requires registration with the state government.

That's true if you're a BIGTIME grower, I'd say. Gotta fly under the radar in that case.

Lots of cities have already banned recreational growing outdoors though, so you need to be medical to play outside. For hobby growers, med cards are a good defense in court for minor infractions/ small amounts.

Pros = Age limits on who can buy, no more prison for non-violent pot possession, higher quality standards (in terms of contaminants like mold as well as potency, etc). Mexican brick weed has virtually disappeared even in places like TX & OK where it was once the standard. Big tax revenue for states. Reduction in opiate overdoses in legal states. Normalization of marijuana as a recreational substance rather than the stigma of it being an illegal "counterculture" drug.

Cons = Black market drug dealers lose $$$. Cartels, gangsters & smugglers have to switch products. That's really it. And unless you're one of those shady characters, those should count as pros.

(I'm for full legalization of every drug, btw. Nobody should lose their freedom, assets, job or reputation because of what they choose to put into their OWN bodies. When substances are banned, the risk of adulteration goes way up, as does the violence associated with gangs & cartels who now control it. And decent people go to prison. That's the unacceptable part. The fentanyl crisis that's happening now is 100% a result of the ban on heroin & other safer opiates).

But that's another topic for another day :)