What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Orleans and Katria

The Bling

Yo I've been takin a break from work lately to help out the world a bit If you've never been down here take some time one day and come lend a hand to the people of the 9th ward. I have never seen anything so sad nor that gave me so much hope for humanity. If your from the area pm me lets gut a house together or some such what happened here wasn't right our oh so great country ignored a population If not see you at the rainbow- LOVE and jah bless

trouble

Veteran
It was Hurricane Katrina, you need to buy an "N".

........................................................................................................

Last edited:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Props to you for helping out. Unfortunately some of us in the surrounding states got the less scrupulous refugees that have tripled our crime rate. Anything to send them back asap is cool by me

varriform

Hey bud, I've been down there a couple times since Katrina and it really is sad what has happened to these people. Props for lending a hand.

The "crime" has nothing to do with them being from New Orleans. Any time people are forced out of their homes and into refugee status there will be crime. Blame the goverment not people from New Orleans

trouble

Veteran
varriform said:
The "crime" has nothing to do with them being from New Orleans. Any time people are forced out of their homes and into refugee status there will be crime. Blame the goverment not people from New Orleans

Your obviously not from New Orleans and most likely have never spent any amount of time there? Orleans Parish has had one of the highest crime rates in the country for many years before Katrina.

New Orleans didnt earn the nick name "The Murder Capital" because of their good Gumbo. :wave:

........................................................................................................

Last edited:

varriform

Nah I was not born in NO but I lived in NOrleans for a couple years, a couple of times. I'm aware of NOs crime level but I don't think saying refugees have tripled the crime rate of surrounding states is accurate in the slightest.

No disrespect of course

trouble

Veteran
varriform said:
I don't think saying refugees have tripled the crime rate of surrounding states is accurate in the slightest.

ChiefSmokingbud saying that it tripled crime in surrounding states is just an exaggeration, however, he is correct that it has caused a great increase in crime where refugees were taken. Just ask the people of Houston that took-in 200,000 Katrina evacuees, their crime rate went-up 32% in the first year and its not slowing down. If you take a murderer, rapist, robber, or thief from New Orleans or anywhere eles, and place him in a different location, they are still murderer's, rapist, robbers, and thieves.

:wave:

Last edited:

varriform

Yeah, agreed

That is where I am right now, Houston.

I do think the crime has slowed since its peak after Katrina. AP and IndyHouston reported that all three major tv-stations in Houston had, on several occasions, made false claims about crimes, linking them to people from NO. I don't know much about these reports though.

But I agree that there is no denying that there is a noticable increase in crime since Katrina. If you really look at alot of the reports you will find that they usually invlove people from Houston, as well.

Peace

EDIT: About 2 months ago one of my friends from NO, who know is in Houston, got shot in the face with a 22 by a Houston thug while driving down one of the main strips in Houston. Point being, alot of the crime can be traced back to Houstonians acting violently towards people from NO. There has been alot of reports of this kind of thing happening lately.

Last edited:

trouble

Veteran
varriform said:
Yeah, agreed

That is where I am right now, Houston.

I do think the crime has slowed since its peak after Katrina. AP and IndyHouston reported that all three major tv-stations in Houston had, on several occasions, made false claims about crimes, linking them to people from NO. I don't know much about these reports though.

But I agree that there is no denying that there is a noticable increase in crime since Katrina. If you really look at alot of the reports you will find that they usually invlove people from Houston, as well.

Peace

I certainly understand what your saying about how the media can dupe a story to make it more intriguing. I have been to Houston many times and know many good people there, however, like any large city Houston has it's share of problems and has never been mistaken for the City of Peace & Love before or after Katrina. Its still a great city! It's like the Hong Kong of the south, if you cant find it in Houston, you cant find it anywhere.

:wave:

Last edited:
if you pay my airplane ticket, i'll work for the whole summer :-D

unfortunately, i'm broke and can't help :-(

Is it true jobs are plentiful and apartments cheap right now? if so, i may consider transferring universities... i was planning to go there back whne i had money to pay for tuition...

med_breeder

Man is constantly searching for redemption.
It may be found this monday.
It appears hurricaine Gustov will be slamming into New Orleans this monday.
It's been three years.
many promises made.
were they followed through with?
I really don't what to hear a peep out of Kanye.

peace.

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
i used to live in the city and wished the damn hurricane would blow it into the Gulf. It almost happened. ask anyone else who's lived as a homeless person in NOLA and they would agree. most corrupt fucking cops i have ever dealt with. and there only a small reason as to why i hate the city. its actually a whole combination of things.

looks like another hurricane is headed right for the damn city. i say good riddance. if you have a house there get the hell out and move. you shouldn't be living below sea level anyway.

Last edited:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
I don't want this to come out wrong but seriously IN MY OPINION Katrina was like a cleansing for NO, too bad it washed all the bad to other places. I have many Pre NO neighbors now and THEY love it where they are now and say had they known life would be different outside NO, they would have moved a long time ago.
The one major thing I have noticed that has tripled more than any other crime since Katrina is Scrap metal theft. We used to never hear about it and now post Katrina it's on the news every night. They can't even finish new development now because the theives keep stealing the copper and aluminum. They tried to build some new projects (for lack of a better term) but they kept stealing the wiring and plumbing. I one time heard of a mobile home that blew out the tires and had to be left on the side of the road overnight. They came back the next morning to find all the wiring, all the plumbing, and ALL THE SIDING STRIPPED BARE LOL. SO I HAVE NO SYMPATHY FOR THE TRASH THAT GOT WASHED OUT BY KATRINA

VictoryGardener

holy hell
enter Gustav.....

Anyway, a couple years back I spent over a week in Waveland and Bay St. Louis helping out.... I really hope this new hurricane misses New Orleans and Bay St. Louis and goes further west, towards Houston.... New Orleans deserves a break... (although the great city of New Orleans wouldn't need a fucking break if it was well planned, if its developers didn't develop over the protective marshes, and if the city management had spent more money for better flood protection. This city has fallen under a looooong list of mistakes made by the city, state, and federal government. The first mistake was made by the residents. They knew the city was in a precarious place yet they ignored the very real threat of a large hurricane... until they were actually staring down the barrel of a category 5 monster storm. I'm sorry, but I just can't have a whole lot of sympathy with this in mind.

trouble

Veteran
VictoryGardener said:
Bay St. Louis

St. Stanislaus High School.

Rock on Rock-A-Chaws!

Last edited:

VictoryGardener

holy hell
man, there wasn't much there when we were there... I saw a fridge on top of a tree... and two (or more) tugboats.... pushed onshore by the surge.... a ways a way from water, too!.... I saw a picture of the storm surge wave coming ashore in Waveland... man... ya'll got it bad.

Although there wasn't much, you could still tell it was a neat little town... I really hope it weathers this next storm.

Last edited:

trouble

Veteran
VictoryGardener said:
man, there wasn't much there when we were there... I saw a fridge on top of a tree... and two (or more) tugboats.... on there side.... a ways a way from water, too!.... I saw a picture of the storm surge wave coming ashore in Waveland... man... ya'll got it bad.

Although there wasn't much, you could still tell it was a neat little town... I really hope it weathers this next storm.

Bay St. Louis is a neat little town. Hurricane Camille in 1969.

Last edited:

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
The one major thing I have noticed that has tripled more than any other crime since Katrina is Scrap metal theft. We used to never hear about it and now post Katrina it's on the news every night. They can't even finish new development now because the theives keep stealing the copper and aluminum. They tried to build some new projects (for lack of a better term) but they kept stealing the wiring and plumbing. I one time heard of a mobile home that blew out the tires and had to be left on the side of the road overnight. They came back the next morning to find all the wiring, all the plumbing, and ALL THE SIDING STRIPPED BARE LOL. SO I HAVE NO SYMPATHY FOR THE TRASH THAT GOT WASHED OUT BY KATRINA
yup, this is true. i actually know a builder down there and he said after they wire a place or put in the piping the next day its gone and its a huge problem.