Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > What voltage does a ballast put out?

Thread Title Search
What voltage does a ballast put out? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2008, 12:22 AM #11
yamaha_1fan

hydro you may be right. I was told to read the voltage inside the socket. Then I figured I could just check outside the socket forgetting the lamp will cause a voltage drop. DOH!!!

At the 300 Volt I am seeing no voltage drop from the ballast to the hood. I get that reading at the hood and at the ballast. Tonight when lights come on I will check on the hoods with no lights and see what I get

Old 03-08-2008, 12:54 PM #12
yamaha_1fan

well that didnt work out. I pulled a bulb out and tried to measure the voltage from the socket and toasted the meter.

I guess I will just have to wait and see. I have 5 bulbs that are not of the original brand so if they blow, then I know the problem lies elsewhere

Old 03-08-2008, 06:37 PM #13
Wait...What?

Wait...What? has a spectacular aura aboutWait...What? has a spectacular aura aboutWait...What? has a spectacular aura aboutWait...What? has a spectacular aura about
Are they actually blowing, or do you just not have enough current to ignite them? Did you test the bulbs in a known-to-be-good lamp setup?
Wait...What? is offline Quote

Old 03-08-2008, 06:47 PM #14
cocktail frank
Ubiquitous

cocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant future
yamaha.
how long is the wire run from your ignitor to the socket?
lets try the obvious.
too long of a run and the ignitor wont be able to light the bulb.
“Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do,
every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.
And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish,
where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money!
He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!”

R.I.P. George Carlin
the funniest man to ever walk god's green earth.
R.I.P. Buckeye
cocktail frank is offline Quote

Old 03-08-2008, 07:07 PM #15
yamaha_1fan

remember I have 9 lights running, not just one or two. I have had bulbs go bad in just about every hood. A couple have gone all white inside from some type of powder. Most have gone black at the base though indicating some type of failure. When I put another bulb in, then it works. I dont have any other ballasts except the ones setup here

The run from the ignitor to the bulb is probably from 20-50 feet depending on the hood

Old 03-08-2008, 07:49 PM #16
PurplePotion
Purple Enthusiast

PurplePotion will become famous soon enough
20-50ft. is too far for any standard ignitor.

Most Venture pulse start ballasts have distance limitations of 2 to 15 ft with standard ignitors. Longer ballast-to-lamp (BTL) distances can be attained with higher energy ignitors. These should not be used for short range as they may damage ballast insulation and shorten ballast life. Contact Venture for availability and technical support.
https://www.venturelighting.com/TechCenter/Ignitors.html

Hopefully that might help you out. Good luck mate

Old 03-09-2008, 01:42 PM #17
yamaha_1fan

I am thinking the quickest and easiest solution is to move the ignitor to the hood. I am thinking it will be a bitch to match the right ignitor to the ballast. I am going to contact TDS Power Monday as they seem to be the manufacturer of this ballast.

Why would the bulbs fail though? If the ignitor couldnt get them started, wouldnt they just not light up? I have seen a bulb fail in mid cycle. I was in the room, the light was on for several hours I assume before I came in, and after about 10 minutes the lamp just shut off. Took it out, put it back in, nothing. Put another bulb in and it worked fine

If I move the ignitor, I only need to run one wire back to the hood as I already have 12-2 romex going to the hoods right? I am only extending X3? What gauge wire should I run? 16 gauge?