What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CLEAREX=$30gal SUGAR WATER

calstar

Read the label on Clearex: 3.5% glucose, 1.5% sucrose, 95.5% inert ingredients! What am I missing, except the $ out my pocket if I buy this stuff. Whether the % are weight or volume per gal it would only cost pennies to mix your own sugars into a gal of water for use.

Another sugar water product, this time from FoxFarm(I don't recall the name, but easy enough to check their flush products): 10% Saponin, derived from yucca shidigera , 90% inert ingredients. Wow, saponin, must be some exotic something! Not really, yucca shidegera is merely a very common yucca plant(cactus), saponin is the name of the sugar extracted from the yucca. If you drink tequilla you're drinking another sugar extracted and fermented(changes the sugar into alcohol) from the very common agave cactus. Agave "nectar" (the sugar extract in pure syrup form) is commonly sold in "health food" stores for about $6 a pint. At 10% you could make a lot of gallons.

Nothing special or exotic about any of these sugars. Unless I'm missing something(please let me know) really basic and important about these products, they're both sugar water easily duplicated DIY. I'm assuming the inert ingredient stated on the label is water, but since whatever it is its inert, water would work fine(although you may want to use RO and ph'ed water, not really sure if that's even necessary).

Do yourself a favor, be informed and read the labels on all garden products you buy.

cheers,

B

Homebrewer

Veteran
I did a side-by-side test and clearex was no better at leaching salts than my normal tap water. The nice thing about clearex is that it's safe to dump down the drain.

growshopfrank

Veteran
FWIW yucca extracts are commonly used as a surfactant something that would be a nice addition to a DIY flush

Rukind

did none of you learn anything from spur? It doesn't "leach" anything. Using plain ro water to flush will shock the roots and actually causes them to lock up.

if you want to use tap water thats fine to, since it isn't 0 ppm. Clearex is made for ro water. Sugar adds to the ppm of the water but isn't a nutrient so you can match the ppm of your fertigated water so flushing will not shock the roots. it is pointless to add clearex to tap water in my opinion.

Since I use ro water, I also use about 7.5ml of clearex per gallon of ro water in between fertigations (I use sunshine mix, so I cannot give nutrients every time).

growshopfrank

Veteran
did none of you learn anything from spur? It doesn't "leach" anything. Using plain ro water to flush will shock the roots and actually causes them to lock up.

if you want to use tap water thats fine to, since it isn't 0 ppm. Clearex is made for ro water. Sugar adds to the ppm of the water but isn't a nutrient so you can match the ppm of your fertigated water so flushing will not shock the roots. it is pointless to add clearex to tap water in my opinion.

Since I use ro water, I also use about 7.5ml of clearex per gallon of ro water in between fertigations (I use sunshine mix, so I cannot give nutrients every time).

I heard that he is the guy that big mike uses to reverse engineer other company's products simply by taste....

Homebrewer

Veteran
did none of you learn anything from spur? It doesn't "leach" anything.

According to Botanicare's site, it's supposed to leach salts.

http://www.botanicare.com/Clearex-P50C3.aspx

Use Clearex to correct the most common cause of crop failure - the buildup of nutrient salt deposits in soils or soilless grow media. High salt concentrations in media can cause the shrinkage and death of plant cells due to the excess draw of water through cell walls, and eventually lead to the irreversible wilting of plant leaves and stems. Periodic flushs with Clearex will remove excess nutrient salts and safely leach them from your crops media.
Sugar adds to the ppm of the water but isn't a nutrient so you can match the ppm of your fertigated water so flushing will not shock the roots.
Sugar does NOT increase the ppm/EC of your water. It does add specific gravity points, about 46 points per pound per gallon which will change osmotic pressure. Maybe that's what you meant.

it is pointless to add clearex to tap water in my opinion.

If you have RO water, it took tap water to make that and you said yourself it doesn't make any sense to use Clearex if you have tap water. It also makes a lot more sense to use 1ml/gal of calmag on 'water' days (if your tap water is not balanced and/or you're using RO water) as opposed to wasting gallons of RO water mixed with an overpriced sugar solution. Heck, you could even dilute your tap water with RO and use that instead of what you're doing now.

It doesn't matter how you slice it, there is no need for Clearex.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Long before clearex and similar were invented , we flushed with quarter strength flower nutes , with sucess.

Useing a sugar based agent in compost , had a mad flush of new pistills and leaves greened up , guessing that the sugars caused an explosion in soil flora freeing up ferts , it seemed to do the job in an ebb and flow , but no better than weak nutes.

another pot head wakes up, fert comps are big agra big business, they all sell very expensive tap water for the most part, stick to the basics always, ferts really are great but there is a limit.

nothing like a tiny touch of raw salt, a tinkle of piss, a touch of molasses or tad of some sugar ocassionaly, them are my boosters folks, perhaps ill try spirulina as ive seen some companies putting it in there plant food also and i personaly eat it, am as we speak. look at Kool bloom, what is cool bloom u ask, its the flora series micro thats it. u take your usually 16ml feeding of flora series micro and u up it to 30ml and u know have da da dun Kool bloom, people just cant read labels.

to think folks buy r.o water for weed but drink tap water has to make u think.

mrwat

another pot head wakes up, fert comps are big agra big business, they all sell very expensive tap water for the most part, stick to the basics always, ferts really are great but there is a limit.

nothing like a tiny touch of raw salt, a tinkle of piss, a touch of molasses or tad of some sugar ocassionaly, them are my boosters folks, perhaps ill try spirulina as ive seen some companies putting it in there plant food also and i personaly eat it, am as we speak. look at Kool bloom, what is cool bloom u ask, its the flora series micro thats it. u take your usually 16ml feeding of flora series micro and u up it to 30ml and u know have da da dun Kool bloom, people just cant read labels.

to think folks buy r.o water for weed but drink tap water has to make u think.

Have you even read the labels? I have personally never used them but it's pretty obvious it's not the same thing. As for you pissing on your plants? Good luck with that.

Kool Bloom: http://generalhydroponics.com/site/gh/docs/prod_labels/koolbloom.pdf

Flora Micro: http://generalhydroponics.com/site/gh/docs/prod_labels/floramicro.pdf

Galactic

i believe kb contains much more than listed npk wise...

most bottled nutes and additives do... the label is the minimum... dont be ignorant and pretend companies dont put extra ingred (for our spposed benefit) and omit it label-wise

have some consistency in your thoughts

i drive an f250 when a fuckin focus could get me A to B... can even haul wood on the roof! not convenient (nor is mixing nutes) but it will work (A to B). focus owners boasting that they are more fuel efficient is kaput

G

Guest 18340

most bottled nutes and additives do... the label is the minimum... dont be ignorant and pretend companies dont put extra ingred (for our spposed benefit) and omit it label-wise

have some consistency in your thoughts

i drive an f250 when a fuckin focus could get me A to B... can even haul wood on the roof! not convenient (nor is mixing nutes) but it will work (A to B). focus owners boasting that they are more fuel efficient is kaput
:laughing:
Wow.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran

while your conclusion is correct, your path to arrival was not (your examples were terrible).

All fert companies use the same base ingredients.

The main ingredient in every liquid fertilizer is WATER, and whether it GH, Technaflora, Botanicare, or whomever, they are all adding the same basic ingredients (Calcium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate, Magnesium Sulfate, etc...)

But they do use different ratios, and combine them in different ways (for instance Technaflora puts their 'micros' in their 'second bottle'; most fert companies put the micros with the Calicium Nitrate and Iron in the 'first bottle'. I use Technaflora at the end of my flowering cycle so i can cut the N, but keep the micros)

Homebrewer

Veteran

Just out of curiosity, what else would be contained in Koolbloom that isn't listed on the label and what are said missing ingredients supposed to do for plants that the listed ones are not?