What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best strains to relieve nighttime pain

Feefles

This is my first post, and I'm just finding my way back to weed for the first time since my teens. Reason being, I have a frozen shoulder, which for the unfamiliar, involves chronic pain, sometimes reaching childbirth levels when you move the wrong way, and an immobile arm, for several months.

I can deal with it during the day, but at night, when I lie down, my shoulders, neck, and upper back lock up, and it hurts so much it's impossible to sleep through.

I've tried Diamond OG in edible form, and that works well to keep me stupified enough to get back to sleep every time the pain wakes me up. But I'm hoping to find a strain with the stupifying properties of the Diamond OG but that also offers some pain relief so I can sleep for longer periods.

One caveat, I've become very THC sensitive with age, it seems, and any psychoactive effects tend to wake me up more.

Any suggestions for specific strains would be hugely appreciated!

Feefles

I forgot to add, I tried Charlotte's Web, and while it did help with the pain somewhat, even that strain was distractingly psychoactive at night...

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Welcome to Icmag!

Once your tolerance builds up the psychoactive properties won't be as sensitive.

Look into Herijuana, Sour Bubble, Narkush, Northern Lights, or any indica dominant strain.

Hope that shoulder heals soon!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
This is my first post, and I'm just finding my way back to weed for the first time since my teens. Reason being, I have a frozen shoulder, which for the unfamiliar, involves chronic pain, sometimes reaching childbirth levels when you move the wrong way, and an immobile arm, for several months.

I can deal with it during the day, but at night, when I lie down, my shoulders, neck, and upper back lock up, and it hurts so much it's impossible to sleep through.

I've tried Diamond OG in edible form, and that works well to keep me stupified enough to get back to sleep every time the pain wakes me up. But I'm hoping to find a strain with the stupifying properties of the Diamond OG but that also offers some pain relief so I can sleep for longer periods.

One caveat, I've become very THC sensitive with age, it seems, and any psychoactive effects tend to wake me up more.

Any suggestions for specific strains would be hugely appreciated!

I forgot to add, I tried Charlotte's Web, and while it did help with the pain somewhat, even that strain was distractingly psychoactive at night...
IMHO Purple Kush or Harlequin. Harlequin is not a night time strain perse. Northern light might be a good candidate as well, but I have not experienced its pain relieving capabilities.

I highly recommend Karma Genetics's Biker Kush. I suffer from extreme sciatica and lower back pain (when not medicated) and this is my go-to strain when the pain is off the charts. Its like my secret weapon. I can smoke joints all day, but a bowl of this stuff turns reality on its side.

I saw you say the psychoactivity is undesirable to you, so do go with the less psychoactive strains for the majority of your use, but I can't recommend this strain enough as your secret weapon. For those nights where nothing helps and you just wish you could stop existing, this is the shit you need. Its like a sledge hammer. It'll shatter through any pain. It provides relief in minutes, triggers insane euphoria, and take a little too much and its lights out.

Last year, my father was all coked up and thought it would be a good idea to go through my personal stash, and he had the misfortune of grabbing my BK. In his own words, "after two hits in my one hitter, I barely had the energy to make it to my bed." Needless to say, it'll help you sleep through the night. I don't like edibles, but I expect even a small dose in edible form would be devastating. Trust me, I know very well how indicas can keep you awake for some reason, but not this one.

Its super potent, a heavy yielder to boot, and it has that horrendous burnt rubber stank with some phenos having varying degrees of lemon pinesol. I can't speak highly enough of this medicine. I give a tiny jar to all my pain patients, and it lasts them months. All my friends and patients joke whenever we smoke, "hold on, hold on! This isn't Biker Kush right? I got shit to do tonight!"

20171227_164441.jpg

20171219_182843.jpg