What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spinosad is NOT on California's Approved List of Pesticides for Cannabis. Use Anyway?

Hello, I am in southern california and am growing outdoors. I have a small presence of thrips and would usually use Spinosad for thrips because it has always seemed to completely kill them off whenever I have applied it.

However, I have seen "California's approved list of cannabis pesticides" and Spinosad does not appear to be on the list. Furthermore, I have also read about people having their products tested and failing the tests for Spinosad.

Because of the reasons listed above I have tried to refrain from using Spinosad (also because it supposedly kills bees) but am getting tempted to use it again for my new grow outdoors now that the baby thrips are starting to show up more.

I have been spraying neem oil and BT once a week every week and i dont think that is affecting the thrips.

Can someone give me peace of mind with using Spinosad? Or assure me why i SHOULDN'T be using spinosad? I would apreciate it. Thanks in advance

calisun

Hey I've used it for years with great success mainly for bud worms. I've been hearing a lot of talk about spinosad being on the do not use list and spinosad being unhealthy for humans. I've looked into it and cannot find anything bad about spinosad.

If anyone has info on spinosad being tested for or harmful please post it.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
that's the list of organic shit with no residual testing limits, read the text.

Cali allows all the hardcore shit on Canna but there are limits for testing hot.

first box is action level for inhalable and second box limits on edibles measured in ug/gm

picture.php

mexweed

Veteran
it's not approved here in Colorado either because there are federal residue limits for food crops, there is probably a residue limit because it's a non food ingredient that can be used up until harvest while most other options are essentially garlic and rosemary oils, did some googling around about it and when dogs were fed it for a few days only the one that was given the largest dose vomited and no cancer in rats that were fed it over the course of a few years

I recently had some thrips and was told by a hydro shop that spinosad is the only organic thing that actually kills them/works and didn't try to sell me anything else since they were out of it, I went to another shop that had it and got my plants sprayed down, one of the biggest things I noticed was that there was no smell to it vs all the alternative oils

BubbaBear

As far as I know Spinosad is super safe to use, I believe the reason it's on the no no list is because it works extremely fucking well on bees. And we gotta protect our pollenators. So if you use it outdoors use with caution. Weekly root drenches do wonders for gnats in coco.