What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to increase marijuana scent and flavour?

gmanwho

Veteran
Awesome then it sounds like you got it all dialed in for your environment!

ohhhh hell no. its a constant evolution. all i know is there is more to learn then one can ever imagine. beware when you think u got it under control.

whats your current regime ?

gmanwho

Veteran
I think living soil is the way to achieve the best flavor genetics have to offer.

theres shit that happens beneath the soil that scienetists cant explain nor begin to understand. its so much more than we make it out to be. and im not talking down about other methods. i just feel the diverse biology and organics hold all the answers to every secret. the plant knows what it needs, far far better than we do!

absolutely. the beneficial's can do so much work for the plant.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
ohhhh hell no. its a constant evolution. all i know is there is more to learn then one can ever imagine. beware when you think u got it under control.

whats your current regime ?
Dood I'm only on my third grow. I'm still figuring out if I like coco or soil better. Soil is cheaper and it seems pretty "set it and forget it", but it seems to be harder to battle deficiencies once I notice them. The coco seems to be easier to fix things if they go wrong, but I have to keep more of an eye on it it. Running Canna A&B with calimag, and some boost & pk13/14 added during flower. The soil is Stonington Blend's Coasts of Maine with also a little PK13/14 added during flower. Lately I've been trying to get clones to take but having horrible luck. This whole thing is a learning experience.

Absolem

theres shit that happens beneath the soil that scienetists cant explain nor begin to understand. its so much more than we make it out to be. and im not talking down about other methods. i just feel the diverse biology and organics hold all the answers to every secret. the plant knows what it needs, far far better than we do!

This is nothing but a bunch of stoner propaganda bullshit. The idea that plant scientists don't understand how microbes interact with plants is nonsense. This statement is a slap in the face to agricultural universities like Michigan State who study this year round.

It's a strange phenomenon I've seen in the cannabis community where you smoke a joint with a cannabis user and their love of science is over flowing until...................it comes to a weed. Then somehow this weed becomes a magical plant that is so mysterious that not even a plant scientists can figure out whats going on in it.

I live around multi million dollar vineyards and these places have their soil tested regularly. If it rains hard they get it tested to see what kind of leaching may have occurred. You know who doesn't get their growing medium tested???? Cannabis growers. Hell most cannabis growers can't even tell you what's in their nutrient solution let alone how many elemental ppm's they are feeding their magical mystery plant.

For anybody who wants to study plant and soil interaction google "google scholar". Google Scholar has all kinds of peer review university studies on plants.

Here's a few links.
https://www.indiana.edu/~microbes/publications/Lau_Lennon_2011.pdf
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/mauisoil/c_relationship.aspx
https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/departmental/ibers/pdf/innovations/02/02ch6.pdf

Last edited:
Hey guys, I’m currently on my second grow and I was searching for answers as to why my plants don’t smell as much this time around. After reading here and other google searches I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s definitely heat related for me. My room got a little out of control and I didn’t flip at the right time , so my plants are really close to the lights. Anyways I’ve got my problems sorted out for now and I’ve already noticed the smells are much stronger.

beta

Veteran
THANK YOU - I cannot -stand- pseudoscience and the cannabis cultivation community is just dripping with it.

This is nothing but a bunch of stoner propaganda bullshit. The idea that plant scientists don't understand how microbes interact with plants is nonsense. This statement is a slap in the face to agricultural universities like Michigan State who study this year round.

It's a strange phenomenon I've seen in the cannabis community where you smoke a joint with a cannabis user and their love of science is over flowing until...................it comes to a weed. Then somehow this weed becomes a magical plant that is so mysterious that not even a plant scientists can figure out whats going on in it.

I live around multi million dollar vineyards and these places have their soil tested regularly. If it rains hard they get it tested to see what kind of leaching may have occurred. You know who doesn't get their growing medium tested???? Cannabis growers. Hell most cannabis growers can't even tell you what's in their nutrient solution let alone how many elemental ppm's they are feeding their magical mystery plant.

For anybody who wants to study plant and soil interaction google "google scholar". Google Scholar has all kinds of peer review university studies on plants.

Here's a few links.
https://www.indiana.edu/~microbes/publications/Lau_Lennon_2011.pdf
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/mauisoil/c_relationship.aspx
https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/departmental/ibers/pdf/innovations/02/02ch6.pdf

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Absolem is correct.

Though cannabis IS different than most fruits and veggie plants (it's a hyper/dynamic accumulator), all of plant **Science** still applies.

Ignore plant science and your cannabis will always be poorer quality than it should be. ;)

420empire

Veteran
Absolem, isen´t it a path between these twos? A lot of universty studies is in a collab with big argro, I have been working in pesticide trails in europe where a lot of the studies is done in collab with big argro, I think it must the same picure in the states. ? This also holds true when it comes to makeing studies on microlife in soil, and that there is no money in it. Stickybread420 is true to some extent, we know only a fraction what´s going on in the soil, remember the 1940´es ? All the plants need is N,P,K and pow! suddenly a few years later they also need micro nurtients...etc. etc. See this goes on forever, if not our perspective in thinking is changed. Today we see a lot of hybrid crops that cannot make a symbiotic relationsship with mycorrhiza, why? Cause they have been breeding "crack plants" which cannot live without NPK and pesticides. So yes, science a lot of the way, and the sceptical thinking the rest, and keep those big argro out of the experiments Peace :)

beta

Veteran
Absolem, isen´t it a path between these twos? A lot of universty studies is in a collab with big argro, I have been working in pesticide trails in europe where a lot of the studies is done in collab with big argro, I think it must the same picure in the states. ? This also holds true when it comes to makeing studies on microlife in soil, and that there is no money in it. Stickybread420 is true to some extent, we know only a fraction what´s going on in the soil, remember the 1940´es ? All the plants need is N,P,K and pow! suddenly a few years later they also need micro nurtients...etc. etc. See this goes on forever, if not our perspective in thinking is changed. Today we see a lot of hybrid crops that cannot make a symbiotic relationsship with mycorrhiza, why? Cause they have been breeding "crack plants" which cannot live without NPK and pesticides. So yes, science a lot of the way, and the sceptical thinking the rest, and keep those big argro out of the experiments Peace :)

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Science_was_wrong_before

420empire

Veteran
Don´t get your point beta? give me a answer instead of a link to rationelwiki. And (rational)wikipediea isen´t accepted as a trustfull source, when come quoteing facts. It´s one of the first things you learn when u are getting trained in the science discipline ;) Have your ever worked in the argro science community? Cause it seems like yuo misunderstood my rant about the believing in one school of thought. I never said sience was a bad tool, quite the opssite. Be openminded sceptical off all things, and I think that will give u a bunch greate insights :)

Absolem

Absolem, isen´t it a path between these twos?

Yes. It was the agricultural industry that gave us trichoderma and bacillus bacteria. Farmers have been applying these to their for fields for many years now. It's only in the cannabis industry we think these products are ground breaking. For the record I grow in coco and use bacteria and fungi for a micro herd. I also mix my own fertilizer solution from the same salts Canna and House and Garden use.

A lot of universty studies is in a collab with big argro, I have been working in pesticide trails in europe where a lot of the studies is done in collab with big argro, I think it must the same picure in the states. ? This also holds true when it comes to makeing studies on microlife in soil, and that there is no money in it.

Not sure why this is surprising? Agricultural companies are in the business of helping farmers grow a better product. If this can be achieved by having an active micro herd in their soil and give farmers better results why would they not want to study micro's and the benefits they give plants in regards to fighting root rot and overall better plant health? Seems to not study these things would go against what they are in business for.

remember the 1940´es ? All the plants need is N,P,K and pow! suddenly a few years later they also need micro nurtients...etc. etc.

No I don't remember the 40's. Wasn't around then. lol. I do remember reading about it in school and taking history classes at the university. I'm glad you brought this up. Dr. Hoagland was the leading pioneer in micro elements during that time and gave us a micro nutrient profile that hasn't changed much since then. I get the feeling many cannabis growers think farmer are just out there dumping chemicals all over their fields like they did in the 40's. Today's farmers are using bacteria and fungi in their fields for better micro herds and for pest control eliminating the need for heavy pesticides. Cannabis growers are clueless on how today's farms are run and how high tech they are.

As mentioned earlier I live around very prestigious vineyards. These people are in the business of making wine with tremendous aroma and flavor. Cannabis and wine share some of the same terpenes. We could learn a lot from the wine industry and their studies on terpenes. The notion that these vineyards are just a bunch of ignorant farmers who "dump" chemicals all over their soil without any concern for their wine product or land couldn't be further from the truth. It's the cannabis growers out there who buy products and dump it in their nutrient solution because it claims to increase oils. These fools have no clue what they are even adding yet they mock farmers who DO KNOW what they are adding to their fields.

So yes, science a lot of the way, and the sceptical thinking the rest, and keep those big argro out of the experiments Peace :)

Your skepticism should lie in the products catered to cannabis growers and not agricultural companies. All the products used in cannabis growing came from Ag companies. They were messing around with triacontanol back in the mid 70's. Cannabis growers haven't brought anything new to the table in regards to growing plants other then their self righteous attitude towards anybody who grows something other then cannabis.

PS. I do like a good quote. But when it's the same quote by the same poster in every thread they engage in it loses its zest.

DrDee

Absolem wrote: "Agricultural companies are in the business of helping farmers grow a better product."

Well at least you got the business part right. I would suggest that profit and locking the farmers into their products is their higher purpose.
JD

Chappi

When you guys are done comparing your little cocks maybe we can get back to the topic at hand.

I just read that terps are highest after the dark cycle and become volatile and evaporate during the day due to lights and heat. Maybe good to harvest after the dark period.

Anyone here harvest based on the moon cycle?

Gry

You think the produce at dollar store comes from a different field, than what is sold at the local grocery store ?

beta

Veteran
When you guys are done comparing your little cocks maybe we can get back to the topic at hand.

I just read that terps are highest after the dark cycle and become volatile and evaporate during the day due to lights and heat. Maybe good to harvest after the dark period.

Anyone here harvest based on the moon cycle?

Heat and lights cause terpenes to evaporate but it's not like they 'come back' when it gets dark. Harvesting earlier would make more sense if terpene preservation was your goal, doing it at lights out will have no effect.