What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to increase marijuana scent and flavour?

THC123

Veteran
Dry trimming is one of the best tips and also watch your climate and plants.

Check if the top buds are sticky and smelly, if they are not, it probably gets too hot in the tent.

And for the best taste maybe other nutrients, but even with crap nutes like that you should get a good smell

Ive used canna for years but thought i would try advanced coco ph perfect big bud b52 overdrive and wow greasy oily buds with no stretch smelling more profound than using canna . Good bye cannna hello advanced same price over a grow schedule .

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Feed the lowest amount you can provide and still have full growth.

Feed a balanced nute profile.

Use a full pH swing.

Cannabis creates wonderful smells and flavors with only NPK and micros. Learn to feed the plant correctly. Look up my book, I explain all the variables involved for quality. ;)

Diverse mineral soil, diverse light spectrum, diverse bacterial strains. Bacteria fuel that matches the bacteria strains and specific root exudates. Dont feed "for the hell of it" in flower. Vine ripen, harvest after a dark period while the roots are using nutrients rather than the buds, and bag whole. Tighten the draw strings a little more every day, not the other way around. Slowly enclose the bud, dont drop the humidity, it should already been dehydrated at harvest. If you're worried about mold try it with paper bags instead of plastic. Trim dry.

Most people who use fish end up with bud that tastes like fish. No idea why anyone uses it. Khalifa Kush I just smoked tastes like garlic onion and fish emulsions, (and landrace reggie kush). Delusional growers think those are all terpenes i guess. Top shelf fish bud..

Skunk cabbage takes a winter swamp to smell like Skunk #1. No bottled tree sap or products required. No sweeteners, no bloom agent or smellomatics. The less bullshit you put in the more natural your plants will smell and Cannabis is naturally loud. Its not an addition to its nature to create loud Cannabis. Its bringing it back to its most natural state by bringing into a setting that mimics what it evolved in. Breeders don't use chemicals or they wouldn't have strains. That synthetic shit homogenizes to say the least. Wipes out the terps and flavor and puts its own "perfumed chemical" taint on the bud
the more you use it to be 100% honest.

The extended answer involves fermentation techniques from beginning to end of the grow and cure, never using scrap ingredients for compost or ferments, use human grade food for everything. Everywhere you heard to use a peel or rind, use the fruit instead. Mix a bit of red clay in every other tea. Dont put any sugars or proteins directly in your pots, cook everything seperate so the bacteria food is consumed before the roots gets clogged by the delayed process. Talking to them bitches might help. Tell them to be sour and loud. At this point all seed stock sucks so you gotta coax them good traits out of diverse lines somehow. Companion planting or transplanting exudates can steer certain expressions hidden in the genes.

I think for flavor, whatever supports the Krebs cycle, the uronic and shikimate pathways, which is probably more of the above. Who knows I'm not a plant scientist just a plant theorist.

mrlucky

A couple things not yet mentioned... Ceramic metal halide will increase resin production and ultimately smell and taste. Or use a 10k finishing bulb the last week to ten days. One could also add something like bud factor x or terpinator. These will help, but as others have said, the biggest factor is the genetics.

SirSmokeABowl

Sulfates..
Calcium Sulfates
Magnesium Sulfates
And Potassium Sulfate instead of flushing

Plenty of SULFUR is what you're wanting, for what you desire.

U WANNA GET BUSTED?

lower temperatures = less oils being released into the air so more left at harvest?
and drying/curing done right

Jonnysact

#1 strain/pheno.

For example, my C99 has the lightest, almost negligible scent. Up close it has a very pineapple/grapefruit smell. When you crack open a well cured nug, it literally smells like Juicy Fruit. But in the jars, there isn't a strong weed odor. No skunk smell whatsoever.

My blueberry and critical Widow strains are much stinker with all other things being the same: growing conditions, light, feed, etc...

#2 drying/curing

This is where people gain or lose all of their flavour. Mostly, the lack of aroma/flavour comes from drying too quickly. This will leave you with a grass/hay smell and there is a good chance that your buds won't burn that smooth. The chlorophyll never broke down during the curing process so you're smelling more plant material than your are the resin/terps.

beta

Veteran
well thats your first problem. jacks. it can grow nice plants, but they are not dense an lack smell and taste. jacks has a trouble creating these added oils we seek. when the oils are created, you will get your taste an smell.

jacks wont. i ran it for 1.5 years an will never run jacks an calnit ratios ever again.

veg bloom hd works, floranova bloom works. botanigaurd. canna.

i had such false flowers with jacks an cal nit. thye would be monsters but lacked density taste an over all oils.....

I call shenaningans on this. I switched from the very expensive Canna line to the simple and cheap Jack's Hydro+Calnit combo and I nor anyone else who smokes my herb noticed even a little difference. I used Canna for about 3 years and have used Jacks for about 2.

Chappi

Apart from all the good info already posted the number one thing that affects flavor and scent imho is DON’T HARVEST TOO EARLY! A lot of the best “oils” terps and such are produced in the last few weeks of flower. Assuming you’re not growing a pure sativa I would go with a minimum 70 days to 80 day window. I also like to flush the second to last week with plain water and the last week I just make them fast and dehydrate(no water) with the lights off. That last part is just me tho, I don’t know of anyone else that does this.

gmanwho

Veteran
I call shenaningans on this. I switched from the very expensive Canna line to the simple and cheap Jack's Hydro+Calnit combo and I nor anyone else who smokes my herb noticed even a little difference. I used Canna for about 3 years and have used Jacks for about 2.

canna additives are pricey fro what they are.

jacks gave me nothing but monster plants with watered down product. i ran better a product with gh 6/9 micro bloom

there maybe something limiting in your environment? dont know an not here to go back an forth. dont care. i know what i witnessed.

an ill take that to the bank...

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
canna additives are pricey fro what they are.

jacks gave me nothing but monster plants with watered down product. i ran better a product with gh 6/9 micro bloom

there maybe something limiting in your environment? dont know an not here to go back an forth. dont care. i know what i witnessed.

an ill take that to the bank...
Were you running the full canna additive line along with A&B? Cause I bet the oils were coming from one of the additives, not the base A&B. If you could get that oil generation on the monster plants of jacks, that would be the best outcome right? Sounds like it might be worth running a few clone withholding some supplements to find out which one is causing the magic.

DrDee

Hi Guys,
I had to chime in...
I grew for years with chemical nutes (GH Maxi line) and a good flush (Final Flush) and had sweet tasting bud. Well some of it was. but my best strain (a WW) had little inherent odor. I always used epsom salts for MG and I suppose the S from that may have helped. Personally I grow for potency.

But there are dudes out there that do experiments using stuff like strawberry, bananas, root beer to add flavors. So there's an avenue for research.
JD

I think living soil is the way to achieve the best flavor genetics have to offer.

theres shit that happens beneath the soil that scienetists cant explain nor begin to understand. its so much more than we make it out to be. and im not talking down about other methods. i just feel the diverse biology and organics hold all the answers to every secret. the plant knows what it needs, far far better than we do!

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
veg longer so the plant is more mature which I think creates better flavour.

The best way is become a better horticulturalist and push the plant just right, but I would say bacterial/fungal teas and foliar feeding with kelp/potassium silicate/fish blood etc to drive an extra level of nutritional health into certain areas of the plant. Worm castings in the soil to begin and used in teas. Get a really healthy biome in the soil to feed the plants what they want and wen they want it.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Scented chloroform is still chloroform. Have a friend who can grow well, run one of your seeds in organic soil. While you try a different product in your hydro system. Compare the two at harvest. I can tell you now which one will smell, taste and burn better. If you are a die hard hydro guy. I wish you the best, happy smoking. Peace

gmanwho

Veteran
Were you running the full canna additive line along with A&B? Cause I bet the oils were coming from one of the additives, not the base A&B. If you could get that oil generation on the monster plants of jacks, that would be the best outcome right? Sounds like it might be worth running a few clone withholding some supplements to find out which one is causing the magic.

the additives are always in rotation, not just all canna product. with 5 separate flower rooms an average 4 harvests per room per year. 20 different harvests in one year, 35 1000w de lights(mostly dialed back to 600-825w), some 315 cmh's mixed in, de cmh till day 20 flower lately, then rest de hps. way more cooling then needed at 180k btus throughout, humidification, De-hummidification, c02 generators, constant slow air exchange. ample air movement. constant environment logging. ro water

hydroton,growstone,coco,perlite,turface,promix,ammended promix

alll rooms are usually 2 weeks off each other. i can try a slightly different approach in each. there's alot of testing that can happen in 6months. granted each room has slight variables.

for instance.. my stardawg corey cut, ive had that plant alone 30-40 different runs!!! atleast

lately the teas an adding a part of soil to my turface an perlite are showing great results. why?? well i believe because the beneficals have something to setup in. an not be flushed out as easily.

canna's bioboost is great, but i foliar with it, goes wayyyyyyyy further. a 5 liter will last me a year with a few foliars each run during the 0-45day flower period.

one thing with jacks i noticed every cola had tons of water weight. colas shrunk so much an where airier throughout. less coverage. i ran it for a long time when i started the ppk's. all that size disappeared on the the drying rack. left with airry buds that smelled more like dried grass. canna, veg bloom, gh where denser. from the VERY FIRST run with veg bloom ro soft, an now i use veg bloom HD, by day 40 it was so apparent at the density an trich staking.

then start comparing formulas, nitrates vs nitrites, phosphate vs phosphite humic fulvic amino . the formulas are very different.

next up i got a 4 part perfectgrower nutes on hand.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
the additives are always in rotation, not just all canna product. with 5 separate flower rooms an average 4 harvests per room per year. 20 different harvests in one year, 35 1000w de lights(mostly dialed back to 600-825w), some 315 cmh's mixed in, de cmh till day 20 flower lately, then rest de hps. way more cooling then needed at 180k btus throughout, humidification, De-hummidification, c02 generators, constant slow air exchange. ample air movement. constant environment logging. ro water

hydroton,growstone,coco,perlite,turface,promix,ammended promix

alll rooms are usually 2 weeks off each other. i can try a slightly different approach in each. there's alot of testing that can happen in 6months. granted each room has slight variables.

for instance.. my stardawg corey cut, ive had that plant alone 30-40 different runs!!! atleast

lately the teas an adding a part of soil to my turface an perlite are showing great results. why?? well i believe because the beneficals have something to setup in. an not be flushed out as easily.

canna's bioboost is great, but i foliar with it, goes wayyyyyyyy further. a 5 liter will last me a year with a few foliars each run during the 0-45day flower period.

one thing with jacks i noticed every cola had tons of water weight. colas shrunk so much an where airier throughout. less coverage. i ran it for a long time when i started the ppk's. all that size disappeared on the the drying rack. left with airry buds that smelled more like dried grass. canna, veg bloom, gh where denser. from the VERY FIRST run with veg bloom ro soft, an now i use veg bloom HD, by day 40 it was so apparent at the density a trich staking.

then start comparing formulas, nitrates vs nitrites, phosphate vs phosphite humic fulvic amino . the formulas are very different.

next up i got a 4 part perfect grower on hand.
Awesome then it sounds like you got it all dialed in for your environment!