What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cigar box for buds

Hi smokers,
i live in a new house near the coast, and the air is not as dry as i used to know, and for drying buds it's not that easy.
Most of the drying process is OK, but my buds are never really dry. I mean when it rains, a dry bud can become soft and not brittle enough to grind it with my fingers as i did before this place.
So i'm looking for a solution, and i thought about cigar box with hygrometer, but the cigar box is intended to keep cigars not too dry, isn't it?
So a reverse cigar box, does it exist?
Hygrostat's seem to be big to go in a little box, no?
Thanks

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
A humidor keeps cigars I think in the 70% humidity range, which is too high for marijuana. There are tons of companies who make like "dryer packs" to put with your herb. Boveda & Integra are 2 of the larger companies, but they all basically use a water & salt solution to maintain a humidity. And you are looking for a humidity controlled cabinet, but most of them are made for specialized purposes so you get charged an arm and a leg. I wouldn't think it would be super hard to make one using temperature and humidity sensors.

Lrus007

Veteran
a cigar humidor would work. just do not add water to the water part.
then you could get some silica to put into box. that will keep it dry.
drawback is the cedar in the box will flavor your weed. so you could
get a nice plastic tub and some silica for it. then your pot will be dry.
good luck Lrus007

prune

Veteran
Those humidity bags work much better at adding humidity, they don't work as well at drawing moisture from air, especially if you're drying instead of curing.

The only real solution is a de-humidifier, but that's a whole other can of worms...

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
a cigar humidor would work. just do not add water to the water part.
then you could get some silica to put into box. that will keep it dry.
drawback is the cedar in the box will flavor your weed. so you could
get a nice plastic tub and some silica for it. then your pot will be dry.
good luck Lrus007
Being an ex-cigar Aficionado, that could be interesting, just like I like a touch of oak on the palet with my Cabernet :)

Amynamous

I have the opposite problem.
I recently harvested an auto hindu kush and kept the plant whole for drying purposes. I mis-estimated the drying time and it was bone dry in 2 1/2 days(40%RH). I’m considering placing the jar in the sun for a year and turning the whole thing into CBN.

That being said, i would happily dry your herb for you, but don’t hold me responsible if i overshoot to the dry side. haha

You might want ask the question on the florida thread. They deal with high humidity and might have some useful suggestions.

I live next to a lake and the RH is kinda high here as well. I'm used to having dry weed....I hate humid weed. It's probably less potent too. Was thinking about one of those food dehydrators. You could do a quarter pound at a time! https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hamilton-beach-food-dehydrator/6000196452504

Yes it would certainly work, but too powerfull i guess.
I'm thinking about a wood little box with silicate for dried flowers... Reviews are good and they are re usable. Once wet, in the oven and dry again...ready to use.
Tonight i found a toad in my grow room, with de humidifier :chin:

My blunt box is nice for the job. I put 10 gr of buds, an hygrometer at 70%, and 50gr of silicate, 24h later, the hygro was at 45% and the weed is dry. I can grind it with my fingers. Better smoke, sure. Now it's raining strong, almost 90% in the house, and the hygro is at 47% in the box. How long will last these 50gr of silicate? I don't know, but i can dry them and re use them later...

I used to cure in a great smelling wooden buffet cabinet. It made my stuff smell amazing. I went to a couple goodwill stores until I found one that smelled nice. It wasn't cedar, but something else from the Carolinas.

I did it because of extremely low humidity, hang drying in it, and burping with dry arizona air. It really pulled some flavors out of the wood.

But back to the OP's question, yes I would consider a humidor. It could have a hygrometer which is kinda "good to know".
Silica packs are cheap on eBay, i would buy them in bulk. Useful for all kinds of stuff, like tool boxes, gun safes, file cabinets, vacuum sealed dry foods etc.

Latest posts

Latest posts