What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Several issues? Maybe? #FirstTimeGrowing

Ha7riD

So I went on vacation and my friend was coming over to check on the plants all the time. I came home this last Saturday to the big plants soil being completely dry. I watered it a little bit then, then the next day it dried out again so I watered it a little more then the first time. But now the top leaves started turning redish/brown and its a 50/50 on what the leaves are doing.

Humidity is at 60-75% and Temps are at 65-75 at all times.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20200806_182325.jpg
    20200806_182325.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 15967532077058720019620690036785.jpg
    15967532077058720019620690036785.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 22

Fixer

I'd drench the soil and then let it dry again. You're growing in soil not coco right? Are you feeding it any fertilizer?

Ha7riD

I'd drench the soil and then let it dry again. You're growing in soil not coco right? Are you feeding it any fertilizer?

It started in coco originally, I transplanted it into "roots organic" and every other watering I am using botanicare

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Funnily enough I just wrote a whole post saying I thought your plants looked over watered. Then I read your post and see you mention that the pot was dry a couple of times..

When you’re checking whether the plant needs liquid, do you lift the pot and see how heavy it is? Sometimes the top of the soil might seem dry but there’s in fact a lot of moisture locked up in the soil. Different soil mixes definitely behave differently.

Other than thinking your plant looks over watered you may also have a ph issue. Are you checking the ph of your run off water?

Ha7riD

I normally only water it when the top inch is dry, but when I got home from vacation it was extremely dry and pot was extremely light. I watered it a tiny bit to introduce water again, but this is where we are at this point. I can also tell you that 3 inches from the bottom of the pot is completely dry too,even after watering.

Ha7riD

Also to answer your question about ph...when the water goes into the plant it measures 6.0, but i never have any run off at all. I have been looking all around to find anything as to how much water to actually use...ie 16oz half gallon etc etc but can't find anything at all.

buzzmobile

Veteran
When you water, use enough to completely soak the rootball. If the bottom 3" of the pot is still dry after watering, water more.

Ha7riD

When you water, use enough to completely soak the rootball. If the bottom 3" of the pot is still dry after watering, water more.

Okay, the next question is how to get to this point. Anytime I water more then 2 water bottles full it always droops.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
I’ve got some questions..

The pot you’re using, is it a fabric pot? Plastic? I’m not too sure looking at the picture. If plastic, do you have holes in the bottom?

You say you’re feeding with Botanicare; is that their grow formula? Are you feeding full strength?

What’s your light source?
What kind of ventilation and air moving system do you have?

Have you checked for disease or pests?

Ha7riD

I’ve got some questions..

The pot you’re using, is it a fabric pot? Plastic? I’m not too sure looking at the picture. If plastic, do you have holes in the bottom?

You say you’re feeding with Botanicare; is that their grow formula? Are you feeding full strength?

What’s your light source?
What kind of ventilation and air moving system do you have?

Have you checked for disease or pests?

The pots are fabric.

I am watering with botanicare every other time and I cut it in half from what it says (per store I bought it from)

The light source im using is:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015FLSOCE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fGRlFb32HYT6X

For ventilation I have a 4" inline fan

I have checked for pests/bugs but haven't seen anything around but being a newb I might have missed them.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Okay, the next question is how to get to this point. Anytime I water more then 2 water bottles full it always droops.
Dry medium is like a dry sponge. Water will roll off a dry sponge and flow through dry medium leaving the bottom 3" dry. A plant saucer under the fabric pot will help make sure the entire rootball is moist.

Ha7riD

Dry medium is like a dry sponge. Water will roll off a dry sponge and flow through dry medium leaving the bottom 3" dry. A plant saucer under the fabric pot will help make sure the entire rootball is moist.

There is a saucer underneath each one already.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Are you saying that no matter how much solution you give the plant(s), you still don’t get any runoff from the bottom?

Here’s another hypothesis.
I use cloth pots also. Sometimes I water and a great deal comes out the bottom only to be soaked right back up. Is this what’s happening to you when you water?

Ha7riD

Are you saying that no matter how much solution you give the plant(s), you still don’t get any runoff from the bottom?

Here’s another hypothesis.
I use cloth pots also. Sometimes I water and a great deal comes out the bottom only to be soaked right back up. Is this what’s happening to you when you water?

Correct. I think I've seen maybe 5 drops underneath in total over the last 3 weeks underneath, but
from what I can tell that isn't was happens at all.

Fixer

I'd set you pot on a plant elevator in a saucer. Water the plant until it flows through and fills the saucer a couple of times. You definitely want to rinse your medium to make sure your not getting salt (fertilizer) build up which happens if you never achieve runoff. You don't want the plant in its fabric pot to sit in the run off and reabsorb the nutrients, more salt build up. I'm not a soil guy but they all say water, water, feed. You may want to feed every third time. :tiphat:

Ha7riD

Okay. My question and issue is that every time I water more then 2 16 oz bottles of water to a plant they always droop. So how do i make it so they dont droop when adding more water to make run off?

If i was to flush all the salts out with it still drooping and having issues cant that cause further issues?

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
So you’re feeding 32 flu. oz for one plant? That’s just under a litre in my mind. I water 7 litres for 4 plants; 1.75 litres per plant. That gets me good run off..

I suspect that you’re not watering enough and the feed you’ve been giving the plant might of built up. Like Fixer has mentioned, you need the run off when feeding.

My plants also droop when I water, usually when they’re not warm enough or the lights have come on. Plants can sometimes droop if the water is too cold or hot, it’s a sign that something is happening in the root system.

How long has the plant been in that pot? Did you transplant recently? If the plant isn’t established then that might be the reason it’s dropping every time you water.

I would follow the advice of Fixer above. That’s sound advice when watering in soil.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Oh, and when you get some run off, check the ph to see if your medium is out. You might need to rebalance which will definitely help get you back on track.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Flushing with a very very light solution (a solution with very light fert strength) won’t harm your plant.

Flushing is a great means of flushing toxicity out of soil. If you haven’t been getting any runoff then your ph might seriously be off. When the ph is out then your plant can’t take up nutrients efficiently.