What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How I Dry Weed In A Paper Bag

NeDank

This is how I dry weed

Wet trim buds

picture.php

Put a light layer in paper bag

picture.php

Like so

picture.php

Mix buds every day or so

Bag or jar up after 7 days. Buds may need to air out for a day or so after bagging.

When it's done drying start the cure
picture.php

Big Eggy

Veteran
Cheers for this... Always used to do small samples in bags years ago but was never sure if it would be ok in bigger batches. This will be more covert come my main harvest as I'm likely to have to use my greenhouse as a place to store them while drying.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
cool to see this. good friend (since deceased) used to dry his in paper bags lying in the sun on the seat of his truck. tasted pretty good for such a short "cure'...:tiphat:

This is how I dry weed

Wet trim buds

View Image

Put a light layer in paper bag

View Image

Like so

View Image

Mix buds every day or so

Bag or jar up after 7 days. Buds may need to air out for a day or so after bagging.

When it's done drying start the cure
View Image

Hi. I'm about to finish a grow and harvest. I'm thinking of trying this only I want to hang dry for a few days first...then into paper bags....then into plastic bags when dry.

How is the flavour after using paper bag method? I've heard bags can make it taste kinda weird....

Thanks for the info!

Do whatever you folks wanna do. It's your weed. IMHO curing is best accomplished in Jars, not plastic bags!

I don't like jars. On at least two occasions I forgot to burp and it turned moldy ruining my weed. I don't even want to take a chance that that will happen this time.

I just dried some weed out in the sun...after 3 or 4 days it wasn't bad. Paper bags seem like a safety net against mold.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to cure in paper bags after drying. Did a blind taste test with a few friends and it was almost unanimous that the stuff that hadent seen a paper bag tasted better. Shocked me. Tbh i also cant stand putting product in ziplocks. They have their own smell and i feel it makes lots if herb seem blander. I hang on the line, buck it into turkey bags and call it a day. I burp em once. Thats it.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I don't like jars. On at least two occasions I forgot to burp and it turned moldy ruining my weed. I don't even want to take a chance that that will happen this time.

I just dried some weed out in the sun...after 3 or 4 days it wasn't bad. Paper bags seem like a safety net against mold.
Paying attention to what we are doing, prevents mold.

mexweed

Veteran
I hang until the smaller leaves are getting dry usually 3-4 days, then bag for 2 days, I roll the bag up and gently compress the buds, after 12 hours I break the clump apart and let them sit with some air in the bag with just the top folded over stirring them periodically, then another night rolled up, the next day the clump is easier to break apart and the edges of the buds have a dryer feel, they sit with the top folded over again and get jarred that night

MindEater

Tbh i also cant stand putting product in ziplocks. They have their own smell and i feel it makes lots if herb seem blander.

Lies.

Things that stink: Rubbermaid containers, single use canning lids with that orange silicone, grocery bags that have been stored in a meat locker, the old jewelry box from your chain smoker grandma's estate sale, that you've soaked in vinegar now all your rolling papers smell like musty vinegary velvet.

Things that don't stink: polyethylene sandwich bags, canning jars with quality reusable lids, nylon oven bags. Lock-n-locks, glasslocks.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lies.

Things that stink: Rubbermaid containers, single use canning lids with that orange silicone, grocery bags that have been stored in a meat locker, the old jewelry box from your chain smoker grandma's estate sale, that you've soaked in vinegar now all your rolling papers smell like musty vinegary velvet.

Things that don't stink: polyethylene sandwich bags, canning jars with quality reusable lids, nylon oven bags. Lock-n-locks, glasslocks.

Ok, you can call it a lie if you want. I appreciate your examples of things that smell to you vs things that dont. I have several colleagues that agree with me regarding one gallon ziplock bags having a scent that makes the nose less loud. Thinner sandwich bags, not so much, but its still inferior to a turkey bag or a jar. Been doing this a long time. Ziplock bags are inferior for storing cannabis. Thats why most people use turkey bags or jars. :tiphat:

Veggia farmer

Paying attention to what we are doing, prevents mold.

absolutt, but sometimes also lack of attention brings suprises too! Sort of forgott a crop in a barn after the chop in the autumn (outdoor grown) on year. Came back in the spring to find the smoothes smoke I have ever tasted before and after that. Well, thats over 10 years ago. The winter here is with a lot of temp below freezing, in the country thats on the way to the northe pole.

Maybe try it again :biglaugh:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
absolutt, but sometimes also lack of attention brings suprises too! Sort of forgott a crop in a barn after the chop in the autumn (outdoor grown) on year. Came back in the spring to find the smoothes smoke I have ever tasted before and after that. Well, thats over 10 years ago. The winter here is with a lot of temp below freezing, in the country thats on the way to the northe pole.

Maybe try it again :biglaugh:
Those are known as happy accidents :)

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
Best tip on curing/drying i ve ever got : When in doubt with drying/ curing, invest in a good hygrometer (not your cheap weather one but rather cigars box hygrometer which are very accurate in our desired range)

You want your buds in a jar/bag around 62% (+/-2%). Leave the hygrometer in there at least 24h for a good reading.

Higher then 65% and you re going to get mold, lower than 55% and you have over dried your buds and destroyed a bunch of terps. 62% or so after 24 hours, and it s ready to be sealed for curing.

Once you get used to it you won't need that hygrometer anymore.

By the way, whatever the method, do not forget that how it will dry highly depends on the room humidity / temperature. So same techniques may lead to different results ...

PiterDest

I know this thread is a few years old, but I wanted to drop in and say thanks for sharing your drying method for weed in a paper bag. It's always cool to hear different techniques! If you're still into exploring other options for drying and storing your buds, you should definitely check out interplas.com. They have some rad containers and bags that can come in handy. Mixing the buds daily is a smart move to ensure an even drying process. And don't forget about the curing step for that top-notch flavor and potency. Happy experimenting, even if it's a little late to the thread!

Last edited:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I use them as an intermediate step between hanging and jarring... after I buck the branches and before I trim.

They help regulate the moisture from the stem to the trim while not encouraging mold like jars.

After I trim I jar and burp cure... but the paper bag step is one I don't like to skip.

acespicoli

1695302956667.png

Bentonite clay in the bottom of the paper bag covered with a few paper towels
and a electronic humidity sensor for the very humid areas. Some RH% to target
Then jar cure, UV degrades product the sun can give your canna a nice gold color in a very short time
>>>Best>ibes :huggg: