What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why Hang Them?

BlindDate

Veteran
So being a wet trimmer for the last 10 years I thought that I would give dry a try. I went through all the posts and everyone seems to cut then hang either the whole plant or branches. Some people do mention the difficulty of trimming what with fan leaves and such folded over onto the bud.

So, my question is why not leave the plant in the pot to dry top up? Turn off the water and let it die & dry. My situation is that I don't need to get new clones into the space right away so I can just take my time trimming. Has anyone done this? Do you think it will make it easier to trim??

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Plant dies and turns brown. If too much moisture is present the wet dead buds can then rot. Its not a good plan.

Hookahhead

I have also wondered this myself. I have considered cutting the plant and hanging it or putting it in a container so that it is still upright. I imagine hanging came along to save space and that’s just what feels natural. You can’t hang branches the other way without clips. Please post back if you try it, I’m actually very interested.

Since you have the space, you could try “ringing” the plant. All this means is cutting about a 1/2 inch to inch strip of the cambian (outer) layer off the tree. This will stop the flow of water to the plant. I have read discussions that say this is supposedly how they made “Columbia gold”, by allowing the plant to yellow and dry in the field. This is also commonly used to prepare a tree as fire wood without actually dropping it until you’re ready.

Edit: actually I read a little more about it and understand now that it stops sugars from flowing to the roots, but water can still pass.

Like all vascular plants, trees use two vascular tissues for transportation of water and nutrients: the xylem (also known as the wood) and the phloem (the innermost layer of the bark). Girdling results in the removal of the phloem, and death occurs from the inability of the leaves to transport sugars (primarily sucrose) to the roots. In this process, the xylem is left untouched, and the tree can usually still temporarily transport water and minerals from the roots to the leaves.

Last edited:

BlindDate

Veteran
Why would the plant turn brown? My coco will dry out in one day. How is it different than chopping? Either way = no water.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Don't know, just does. Maybe chlorophyll breaks down quickly, maybe something else.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
If that got rid of the chlorophyl, that should make the bud a lot tastier. So would that be "curing on the trunk" or something like that?

RED 1

So being a wet trimmer for the last 10 years I thought that I would give dry a try. I went through all the posts and everyone seems to cut then hang either the whole plant or branches. Some people do mention the difficulty of trimming what with fan leaves and such folded over onto the bud.

So, my question is why not leave the plant in the pot to dry top up? Turn off the water and let it die & dry. My situation is that I don't need to get new clones into the space right away so I can just take my time trimming. Has anyone done this? Do you think it will make it easier to trim??

Once flushed, and,rooting system was dry(all under lights),I did try with one plant, trimming her in the dark(in her 18ltr pot) and eventually culled her.Took a few days,but,worked just fine
Was going to adopt the same with this run,but,I was transferring a slight "gnat issue" to other areas
Just recently I read that you have to be slightly careful in case it seeds in the dark.That I'm not to sure about, although I got one seed from the plant I tried the technique on
Hope it helps
:)

Lyfespan

for dry trimming i have always chopped entire plant, and dependant on humidity, i either pull fan leaves or not. drying usually takes 7-10 days before its ready to brush leaves off and tote up for cure for 1-2 weeks, then its out the door

letting plants dry on the vine leads to a lot of issues, yeah you can get lucky, but most of the time theres mold and breakage

prune

Veteran
Ya, I've done this, call it the "raisin cure'. As to why we don't do this? The bud opens up with gravity, loses terps faster, and looks larfy and amateurish.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
you can cut the stalk and let dry as its staked up, people hang for ease, and the leaves fold over and protect the buds and help to dry slower, slower the dry, better the quality , there is something with the buds tapped into the stalk that keeps them from overdrying, and ya can do a super slow dry for the best quality

T

Teddybrae

My buds go brown even when I trim green.

If you've got a few plants trimming dry is a pain.

Scissors get sticky as fuck and you've got to keep cleaning them. Everything sticks to your fingers ... like the joint and so you burn your lips ... and if you want a pretty-looking bud the brown leaves stick to the bud and your scissors and fingers get even more sticky!!! And then you rub your eyes and the fucking pain comes and you can't see until you wash your eyelashes with Metho or like that.

I say trimming dry is no good!

hayday

Veteran
Thing is, people hang plants upside down so all the THC runs thru the stems and into the leaves and flowers.
I thought everyone knew this :rolleyes:

P. S.
Old myth for amusement only . Not to be taken seriously

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Imo best to trim wet- easier plus removes the big stores of chlorophyll (leaves) early as possible.
Hanging just gets things conveniently out of the way :biggrin:

Mattbho

I believe it's called drying or dieing on the vine. It's supposed to be the best way to harvest . Kill the water and the lights and let them be.

Scrappy-doo

After switching to dry trimming years ago for better quality smoke, I recently decided to try and trim wet again to speed things up on plants that weren't for personal smoke. I got about 1/2 way through the first branch and said screw this. When you trim wet you do so with the buds still on the branch, which is an obstacle to work around.

Dry trimming is way faster. You can turn and rotate the buds any direction very quickly to get the right angles. Once you get good at it, it's much faster. Plus, you can trim buds when you need them rather than having to do it all at once. Don't think I'll ever trim wet again.

After switching to dry trimming years ago for better quality smoke, I recently decided to try and trim wet again to speed things up on plants that weren't for personal smoke. I got about 1/2 way through the first branch and said screw this. When you trim wet you do so with the buds still on the branch, which is an obstacle to work around.

Dry trimming is way faster. You can turn and rotate the buds any direction very quickly to get the right angles. Once you get good at it, it's much faster. Plus, you can trim buds when you need them rather than having to do it all at once. Don't think I'll ever trim wet again.

When I was first shown/taught how to trim on a large scale, it was wet. Limbs were manually bucked into smalls first then ran through the trimmer. This produces very tight, close cut nugs and is how most of the commercial stuff is done anymore IMO. Hardly any stems left and leaves a bunch of rock hard little buds. Problem is, it’s very easy to over/under dry as there’s no extra material to buffer any moisture. Hanging the whole plant or sections and letting it dry gives you a whole lot more lee way in drying time.

You might try bucking first then trimming wet Scrappy (if ya feel like trying it). You’ll be able to get it all real easy.

BlindDate

Veteran
Lots of differing opinions. Some make sense, some do not. We have all had plants that died during a grow from a clogged dripper. It shrivels up and then turns brown. Perhaps it turned brown because it was left under the full lighting? I would like to try an experiment. What if I cut the water to the plant to dry up the coco and then right before the leaves start to wilt, I cut the lights and let it die & dry in the dark? I worry that if I don't dry out the coco first the plant will hang on forever in the dark.