What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Knobby bumps on cutting where are my roots?!

Hello fellow growing babes :tiphat:
I have some sour bubble b x 3 cuts that have been rooting for two weeks with white knobby bumps where there should be roots but nada in my coco plugs. I use clonex gel and clonex liquid 7 mL/qt. I’ve kept them at 75 but have had it drop down to 69 one night. They have been kept in between 72-78 degrees under a T5 in those two weeks. When they wilt they have been taken out from the light for six to 8 hours, every couple days. I’ve had other cuts that have rooted very well but this is a mystery. :watchplant:

DunHav`nFun

Hello fellow growing babes :tiphat:
I have some sour bubble b x 3 cuts that have been rooting for two weeks with white knobby bumps where there should be roots but nada in my coco plugs. I use clonex gel and clonex liquid 7 mL/qt. I’ve kept them at 75 but have had it drop down to 69 one night. They have been kept in between 72-78 degrees under a T5 in those two weeks. When they wilt they have been taken out from the light for six to 8 hours, every couple days. I’ve had other cuts that have rooted very well but this is a mystery. :watchplant:
Welcome Dandelion......Those "white knobby nubs/bumps" are the beginnings of your root formation.....Some strains take longer to root than others and you`re being impatient with those sour bubble bx`s , so chill and hopefully pullin em out and lookin 2 many times hasn`t stressed em out too much.....also.....ALWAYS use low light for rootin cuts so the plants put more emphasis on makin roots than foliage from there bein too much light above em......now.....

The exact opposite is true with seedlings , and when they pop you should drop the T-5`s right down on top of em so as to increase lateral branch building and shorten internode elongation.....anyways......No worries on the bumps , just wait for the stems to bust open and start roots forming , so.....Good luck and.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …..

DunHav`nFun

Ah thanks! You’re right they do take forever. I forgot to add they are kept a foot and a half from the t5. Will take more cuts soon.
T5`s are too bright and wasted to root cuts , but much better utilized for pre-veg and veg once enough root mass is built for foliage to blast off DR.....

Forever and a day over many many yrs I ran 40 watt T-8 shop lights for low light conditions , but environment is really most important in the rooting end of the game.....Where I lived and cropped , I let high humidity and elevated temps to pretty much put cuts rooting on autopilot.....that said.....

80 degrees F and 80% RH ruled my world with dialed results all my yrs , so if yas gotta use spray mists and or humidifiers plus heat mats and humidomes to accomplish said conditions , then by all means match what you need for where you are geographically......regardless and .....again....Welcome and good luck DR.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …...

nickman

Veteran
T5`s are too bright and wasted to root cuts , but much better utilized for pre-veg and veg once enough root mass is built for foliage to blast off DR.....

Forever and a day over many many yrs I ran 40 watt T-8 shop lights for low light conditions , but environment is really most important in the rooting end of the game.....Where I lived and cropped , I let high humidity and elevated temps to pretty much put cuts rooting on autopilot.....that said.....

80 degrees F and 80% RH ruled my world with dialed results all my yrs , so if yas gotta use spray mists and or humidifiers plus heat mats and humidomes to accomplish said conditions , then by all means match what you need for where you are geographically......regardless and .....again....Welcome and good luck DR.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …...

Great info DHF...!!!...

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I had really good luck with moving the knubbing ones into rapid rooters and keeping them damp but not wet. It seemed to prevent the stall that happened if I let them root and then up potted them. But I found everybody has a perfect way for their environment to clone, so once you find one that works for you, don't change it in big ways, just tweak it.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Pull one out like a week after you put it in the cloner. It will probably have white, knubby growth at the end. That's the callus cells, they are like stem cells in that they can turn into a bunch of different cell types.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your nobbly bits are called calus,, they form before root differentiation happens,, if you tilt the ratio of auxin : cytokinin more to the auxin side you will instigate root differentiation,, try naa or another stim spay to tip the ballance,,, it's possible a kelp extract could work too but technically that a cytokinin,, but it basically enhances whatever the plant is trying to do

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pull one out like a week after you put it in the cloner. It will probably have white, knubby growth at the end. That's the callus cells, they are like stem cells in that they can turn into a bunch of different cell types.

Ahh shit,, didn't read the second page

Snap

palmeezy

how do the ends of the cuts look? whenever i've had nubs that were slow to root there would be no callus and the ends of the cuts were questionable. usually if i kept them long enough to root and harvest i'd find a small dead brown streak encapsulated in the crown.

my moms/plants i clone from are always grown in hydro and for the past few years i always and usually only take cuts from aggressive new growth. so i usually put them in water for 24-72 hours to harden off.

clean, vigorous cuts almost always show the beginning of the formation of the callus within this period. beware of keeping around slow-to-root unknown/new cuts.

Devilmi

Your clones will eventually root at those temperature you mentioned but will take a lot longer which more problems can arise. If you want your cuttings to root faster and more consistently you need to keep the temperatures at a constant mid 80s Fahrenheit. A seedling mat is a good investment. Same goes for sprouting seeds.

Devilmi

As long as you take a clean cut with a sharp razor and keeps those temperatures constant that's all you need. Adding additional stuff like some are suggesting is going to just cause more problems if you don't get the basics down first.

DrDee

That's good, I tossed many cuttings that just nubbed and stalled,
until I potted some nubbed cuttings and they rooted in the coco.

Who knew, lol

Hi guys...very interesting to me. Been growing in a really humid location...and that humidity keeps cuttings so happy that they don't bother growing roots.

I have to transplant (also using coco) and start feeding really light...which seems to finally trigger the roots to grow. Takes forever. I guess SOG is out for me! lol
Cheers,
JD

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Bumps.......

Bumps.......

Welcome Dandelion......Those "white knobby nubs/bumps" are the beginnings of your root formation.....Some strains take longer to root than others and you`re being impatient with those sour bubble bx`s , so chill and hopefully pullin em out and lookin 2 many times hasn`t stressed em out too much.....also.....ALWAYS use low light for rootin cuts so the plants put more emphasis on makin roots than foliage from there bein too much light above em......now.....

The exact opposite is true with seedlings , and when they pop you should drop the T-5`s right down on top of em so as to increase lateral branch building and shorten internode elongation.....anyways......No worries on the bumps , just wait for the stems to bust open and start roots forming , so.....Good luck and.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …..

:yeahthats

RMS

:smoweed:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Naa,, iba,, cytokinin,, rhizopon,, amino nitrogen,,, the blisters are callus,, you need to initiate root differentiation as the callus show that the ratio of auxin to cytokinin is too balanced and needs a heavier cytokinin content to initiate root differentiation

Latest posts

Latest posts