What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Violeta

Bleiweis

Veteran
So...im getting these brown spots all over the leaves. First i spotted them on the lower leaves but now they're beginning to spread all over the plant. Today i noticed them on the young, new leaves. The plant is flowering.

Is it a Cal deficinecny? None of my other plants show the same signs...all are ok. Should i act or just let it be? Otherwise the plant looks ok.

Koondense

Veteran
It doesn't look like a deficiency to me, more like a fungus infection, maybe septoria.
Try to research as much as you can to properly recognize the cause. If it's fungus, you could use peroxide up to 5% conc. after first removing all affected leaves.
But before anything, wait for another opinion, hopefully mine is wrong :)

The English Cut

Brown spots on leaves

Brown spots on leaves

So...im getting these brown spots all over the leaves. First i spotted them on the lower leaves but now they're beginning to spread all over the plant. Today i noticed them on the young, new leaves. The plant is flowering.

Is it a Cal deficinecny? None of my other plants show the same signs...all are ok. Should i act or just let it be? Otherwise the plant looks ok.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74562&pictureid=1782384&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Hey Bleiweis, I've had the same problem and it's got me a bit stumped too. I've seen these brown spots both on the Violeta clones from my mother, and also on the Violeta Bx1 plants I've made. I'm also getting a bit of it on some Sour Diesel plants from seed.

At first I thought it might have been a magnesium or calcium deficiency, and it's possible that some kind to a deficiency weakened the plants but now I'm convinced it's some kind of fungus, possibly Leaf Septoria.

Looking closely at the spots i can see rings and what look like spores. It all makes sense, here we've had the wettest summer in over ten years, rain upon rain, so the conditions are right for it. I'm seeing similar leaf spots on other plants too, eg. the fig tree and a chestnut tree. I've been spraying with potassium bicarbonate to see if that slows it down a bit, so far it's only lower leaves, hopefully i can keep it in check, but it's raining so much that spraying is kinda futile!

Sorry i can't be more help, I've been meaning to ask Dubi but we've both been too busy! Let's see if he chips in. Peace, TEC.

Bleiweis

Veteran
@The English Cut

First of all thanks for the response! Our summer was one of the hottest but the last 3 weeks its been raining constantly so i guess we have the same situation. I removed some of the leaves that were damaged the most and sprayed the rest with neem oil. Maybe it will help. Otherwise mother nature will take her course i guess :)

Keeping my fingers crossed your situation turns for the best!

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Its definitely a fungus. I've had it several times worse than the pictures above. Never had it really KO a grow, though.

Bleiweis

Veteran
Positive side of violeta! i wanted to avoid the malawi pheno because i didn't want the long flowering but now it seems i got a very PCK dominant pheno which is ofcourse nice (colours, smell and resistancy to elements) but i wanted a hybrid! maybe i'll have better luck next year :)

Here is a short glimpse of whats going on. 3 weeks into flowering. Buds are a bit small due to heavy rain in the past 4 weeks+very low temperatures.

Stinkhorn123

Bleiweis I would recommend reading up on the leaf spot disease threads on this and other sites. This shit can 100% destroy your plants. Some plants seem to resist it quite well and others die off in a matter of weeks. Im hoping Dubi see's this and can recommend resistant varieties. Best of luck and hopefully this doesn't amount to any problems for you.

lolos

Positive side of violeta! i wanted to avoid the malawi pheno because i didn't want the long flowering but now it seems i got a very PCK dominant pheno which is ofcourse nice (colours, smell and resistancy to elements) but i wanted a hybrid! maybe i'll have better luck next year :)

Here is a short glimpse of whats going on. 3 weeks into flowering. Buds are a bit small due to heavy rain in the past 4 weeks+very low temperatures.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74658&pictureid=1784514&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74658&pictureid=1784513&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74658&pictureid=1784515&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74658&pictureid=1784516&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

How come did they flower so late outdoors?

Mine are already 8 weeks of flowering oudoors.

Nice buds

Bleiweis

Veteran
Well...i dont know exactly. PCK was usually also really late here at N47. Yours are at 8 weeks already? Which lattitude? Grown in pots or soil?

lolos

My first lady was chopped today...

They all started flowering late july or early August.

This is my first lady which was chopped today, 2 weeks ago.

None of my Purple Violetas got purple leaves like the guys before. Only purple buds. Wonder if the leaves go purple with cold temperatures or is it genetic.

Still one of the prettiests plant.

Different colors

Different colors

Here's a couple of my Violeta's in 5 gallon pots.
The first one is the more common (to me) purple color, and the second one is green. Both plants were started at the same time and fed and watered the same. The 3rd pic is of the two together but I'm not sure if you can tell the difference in color, the purple is on the right, green on left.

Last edited:

Bleiweis

Veteran
Rusty/brown patches on my Violeta are spreading. There is more and more of them. I hope she will make it. She's got at least 3 weeks to go if not more. Its going to be a hard one.

Bleiweis

Veteran
Not scales almost certainly. Brown patches have grey spores on them...leaves seem to crumble where the patch is.

Bleiweis

Veteran
My initial question was if i have a 5% peroxide- should i spray the leaves directly. I came to a conclusion- yes (i hope its the right one).

Bleiweis

Veteran
It seems i've caught mycosphaerella brassicicola. Some gardeners use chemical fungocides etc. but it's too late for that because she's already flowering heavily. I will spray with hydrogen peroxide (3% solution) today and remove the more affected leaves. I hope she will survive the next 3 weeks.