What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SMOKE ALARMS & DETECTORS (fyi)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
There are two basic type of smoke detectors:

* Ionization detectors - Ionization detectors contain radioactive material that ionizes the air, making an electrical path. When smoke enters, the smoke molecules attach themselves to the ions. The change in electric current flow triggers the alarm. The radioactive material is called americium. It's a radioactive metallic element produced by bombardment of plutonium with high energy neutrons. The amount is very small and not harmful.

* Photo-electric detectors - These type of detectors contain a light source (usually a bulb) and a photocell, which is activated by light. Light from the bulb reflects off the smoke particles and is directed towards the photocell. The photocell then is activated to trigger the alarm.

Choosing a smoke detector

When choosing a smoke detector, there are several things to consider.
Think about which areas of the house you want to protect, where fire would be most dangerous, how many you will need, etc.

Fire Departments recomends that every home have a smoke detector outside each sleeping area (inside as well if members of the household sleep with the door closed) and on every level of the home, including the basement.

The National Fire Alarm code requires a smoke detector inside each sleeping area for new construction.

On floors without bedrooms, detectors should be installed in or near living areas, such as dens, living rooms or family rooms.

Smoke detectors are not recommended for kitchens.

The safest bet is to have both kinds or a combination detector with a battery back up.

Be sure to check for a testing laboratory label on the detector.
It means that samples of that particular model have been tested under operating conditions.
Check to see if it is easy to maintain and clean...

Installation
The placement of smoke detectors is very important.
Sleeping areas need the most protection.
One detector in a short hallway outside the bedroom area is usually adequate.
Hallways longer than 30 feet should have one at each end.
For maximum protection, install a detector in each bedroom.

Be sure to keep the detector away from fireplaces and wood stoves to avoid false alarms.
Place smoke detectors at the top of each stairwell and at the end of each long hallway. Smoke rises easily through stairwells.
If you should put a smoke detector in your kitchen, be sure to keep it away from cooking fumes or smoking areas.

Proper mounting of a smoke detector also is important.
You can mount many detectors by yourself, but those connected to your household wiring should have their own separate circuit and be installed by a professional electrician.
If you mount your detector on the ceiling, be sure to keep it at least 18 inches away from dead air space near walls and corners.
If you mount it on the wall, place it six to 12 inches below the ceiling and away from corners. Keep them high because smoke rises.

Never place them any closer than three feet from an air register that might recirculate smoke.
Don't place them near doorways or windows where drafts could impair the detector operation.
Don't place them on an uninsulated exterior wall or ceiling as temperature extremes can affect the batteries.

Maintenance
Keeping smoke detectors in good condition is easy.
Be sure to replace the batteries every year or as needed.
Most models will make a chirping, popping or beeping sound when the battery is losing its charge.
When this sound is heard, install a fresh battery, preferably an alkaline type.

Replace bulbs every three years or as needed.
Keep extras handy.
Check the smoke detector every 30 days by releasing smoke or pushing the test button.
Clean the detector face and grillwork to remove dust and grease.
Never paint a smoke detector as it will hamper its function.
Check your detector if you've been away from home.

If you're looking for a novel gift for somebody, consider giving them a smoke detector. It makes for an interesting gift that can save lives and it shows that you care.

FIRE EXTINGUISHER: 101 (fyi)
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=16728
:)

Last edited:

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
MNice one IMBoggled.....Safety is the most imprtantthing... mine has a smoke dtector in the basement where the grow is and up in the house...and a small CO2 extinguisher in the basemnt just in case.... They were added a couple of months ago when the 1000watt power plant ballast blew,frazzled the IEC connection and filled the growroom up with smoke...it took 3 weeks for that horrible smell to go away(the electrical fire smell, u know the one) scared the shit outta me...not least when my partner called me to tell me and he had gone out to the payphone WITHOUT HITTING THE KILL SWITCH man did I shout down the phone GET BACK ROUND THERE AND SWITCH IT OFF YOU STUPID C&*T ( I never hardly say that word...only when very angry or svared shitless!!) then when he did and came back to the phone and described it all to me he scared me again when hesaid there was a lot of smoke....I had a vision of clouds of black smoke pouring out and the firemen turning up=Game over but he admitted exaggerrating the amount of smoke.....so I calmed down in the end lol.
anyway just to say to any1 reading this...GET A SMOKE ALRM I was lucky that day as my grow partner was out and got home in time.... i know the fuse in the plug popped and cut the circuit but thats not the point, it could have been a lot worse and no weed or money if u commercial is worth dying/causing deaths over.
Be lucky now,
AND SAFE,
Harry

Last edited:
F

Father Time

great thred,
ihave smoke dectors in my new room im building as well as a co2 extingsuer,i alos hev smoke alarms in each bedroom and the kicthen and halway :woohoo:

Kindest Regards,FT :wave:

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
The problem with smoke detectors is of course that they make a lot of noise and attract unwanted attention.

I find that the best fire protection is to keep a big, male baboon in your growroom. In case of fire, train him to use a CO2 fire extinguisher, and if that doesn't work, destroy all illegal evidence (ie, thrash and eat the plants) while sacrificing valiantly his life for his master (you).

Also, train him to be nice to firemen, and extremely nasty to cops.

baboon.png

G

I've found grow partners to be more dangerous than fire when it comes to this,the day I got rid of mine was the day I stared growing

iogrow

Is there a way to wire a smoke detector with say an electronic valve on a CO2 tank, so in case of fire and smoke, CO2 will be rapidly released?

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Play it safe everybody!

Play it safe everybody!

Although ionization models are good at detecting high-flame fires, they are less adept at sensing smoky fires, such as those caused by smoldering bedding. That's why ionization smoke detectors are not the best… choice for bedrooms...

Experts prefer models with Dual Sensors, which have both an ionization detector and a photoelectric sensor for detecting slow, smoldering blazes.

Smoke Detectors: Reviews @
http://www.consumersearch.com/smoke-detectors

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Most residential smoke detectors run on 9-volt alkaline or carbon-zinc batteries.
When these batteries run down, the smoke detector becomes inactive.
Most smoke detectors will signal a low-battery condition.

The alarm may chirp at intervals if the battery is low, though if there is more than one unit within earshot, it can be hard to locate.
It is common, however, for houses to have smoke detectors with dead batteries.
It is estimated, in the UK, that over 30% of smoke alarms may have dead or removed batteries.
As a result, public information campaigns have been created to remind people to change smoke detector batteries regularly.
In Australia, for example, it is advertised that all smoke alarm batteries should be replaced on the first day of April every year.
In regions using daylight saving time, these campaigns may suggest that people change their batteries when they change their clocks or on a birthday.

IMB :)

Last edited:

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
Thats you guys. I am going to tag this because it will continuously remind me to keep fire safety a priority. I usually have a fire extinguishers in the grow room but heck, i dont even know the type... and i think it has a little arrow saying its in the yellow, as in, not at full capacity anymore...

and the smoke alarms... got to do that. I am going to buy them tomorrow, and another extinguisher for the closet outside of the grow....

thanks yall!

Vandenberg

Bumping up

Bumping up

This is a smoke alarm reminder, Please go ahead and replace the dang batteries.Today!

Vandenberg :)