What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dust Mask

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
Does anybody have a recommendation for a kind of mask to wear when mixing soil amended with stuff like micronized azomite, dolomite lime etc? I have disposable dust masks and use them, but I don't think they're up to the task. I mixed some dolomite lime into some seedling soil, I ground it myself, all while wearing a dust mask, and felt a little weird when I was done and suspected maybe I inhaled some of the lime.

I'd hope not to break the bank, I ain't even got a bank to break ya dig? But I'll coin out for quality if I must, can't put a price on health.

mad librettist

Veteran
any mask that seals to you face will only work if you shave or put vaseline on. FYI bearded fellas. I imagine a regular dust mask is just fine, but it has to be worn properly.

the other type is definitely an arm and a leg.

one way to keep dust down is by wetting things. You can always dry them later if you have time.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
If I do not wear a mask I am always feeling it for a couple days.
I prefer the $50 dollar masks. The ones with cartridges, soil has some fine particles best to protect yourself. It is a one time investment.
The Home Depot has tones of masks with cartridges.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
picture.php

Check!........I make sure it's tight when I'm working,and try not to make a bunch of dust anyway. I got a beard.

gdbud

What you are looking for is a half mask respirator and you can get different types of filters for them. The filter you will need is a particulate filter HEPA type and it is magenta in color.
The masks comes in three different sizes, So you might have to try on a couple masks before you find the right size.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
any mask that seals to you face will only work if you shave or put vaseline on. FYI bearded fellas. I imagine a regular dust mask is just fine, but it has to be worn properly.

the other type is definitely an arm and a leg.

one way to keep dust down is by wetting things. You can always dry them later if you have time.
From a "bearded fella. That is bunk. Vaseline does not work. If you need to wear protective masks for what ever you do, shave! No if's and or buts. :tiphat:

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
For bearded fellows a "positive air" full head piece is what you want, like those hazmat suits or foundry workers. Where the face and head are pressurized for the lack of a better word, via ahose attached to a fan on the back of the wearer, via a belt at his/her waist, keeping all the creepy crawlies out! :tiphat:

MindEater

Nose hair is nature's dust filter, stop plucking them you metrosexuals!

Get a soviet gas mask from the surplus outlet if you can't leave natures dust mask alone

Latest posts

Latest posts