What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Turning shatter into something for edibles.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
While trying all sorts of concentrates and different sources I have about half p of bs shatter. It is nice stuff but I guess I don't like shatter /shrug and neither does anyone I know so far cuz the smell is just boring and light on most.

I need to decarb it right? Was thinking melt it down cut it with coconut oil or butter and dose 100mg worth of thc in cookies or something. Or melt it down and blend it into some melted caramel...Have no idea how potency will be measured but I guess it will be fun testing...or not lol. Gonna start with very small pieces.

troutman

Seed Whore
If you have high grade 90%+ ethanol you could dissolve some shatter into it and use that in your recipes.
The alcohol would evaporate as you cook. Just pay attention how much grams goes into each mL of alcohol
so you can apply the right amount with maybe a plastic syringe to whatever your cooking. Syringes have
graduated numbers on them so you know how much mL(s) to use.

:tiphat:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shatter will dissolve in vegetable oils and animal fats, which can be used for cooking. To decarboxylate, I wild set a container of the concentrate in a 250F oil bath and when the CO2 bubble production suddenly falls off, I would add the oil and stir it together. You can then use the oil for cooking.

As TM noted, you can also mix it with ethanol and use it in cooking.

Mr. J

.Have no idea how potency will be measured but I guess it will be fun testing...or not lol. Gonna start with very small pieces.
I don't know why you're so hung up about dosing each individual piece with exactly 100mg of stuff. You just have to mix it all together well, make whatever you're making, and do a bit of math to figure out what's what. As long as you weigh it before you start all you need to do is some simple arithmetic.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I always measure my potency the old fashioned way. I am approximately this high and the next day it took this long to figure why everything is so slow. Once you established how high they can get you. Just scale back until you feel you are not doing the bad thing to anyone you are sharing with.

Or do the math

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys solid advice. I am sure these first few replies will answer a ton of questions for others. I am going to make vegetable oil and dose it with syringe. Reason I want to be exact is everyone is on those doses now and I am taking someones business from them so my product needs to be better. If no competition I probably would not care and would dosem all at 50 or just testem my self.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're doing production, measuring each dose individually will shut the entire operation down at scale.

Better to know your starting potency and mix well during the production process. You can always test the resulting product and advertise with the mean value.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
If you are going to make edibles for sale, good luck. better be able to get a handle on how potent that shatter is, and go from there. People react so very differently to edibles, you should at least be able to have consistant dosages. Like my cookies... I have only an estimate of the potency of the ABV I make butter from, as I dump all the AVB from different strains together. Plus, how much of the goodies vaped off? I assume 10% left.

Then when making butter, even though I use the same 75gr of ABV, the amount of butter remaining after the cooking process is completed changes from batch to batch, so I have more or less of the butter it is dissolved in, making the concentration change. The amount of the butter that goes into a batch remains the same (1/2 cup), but how strong is that butter?

IMO, another key aspect is taste and texture of the product. You need to work at it until your product is just really yummy to eat.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well the shatter is simply because I have half p I dont want bother selling anymore because my crumble is fuckin insane and I have most every strain I wanted in it. I will be moving to 240 ml jars of distillate and cutting it with something probably vegetable oil on to straight oreoes. I am selling dist oreos 5 per pack at 25 a pack 100 mg a oreo lol....He is selling them like hot cakes at 50 a bag.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Explain the oreos thing please. Cookies from a package and you put the distilate on them? They are bringing $5 each @ 100 mg in qtys of 5 or 50?

I get about 50 cookies in a batch from 1/2 cup of butter. IMO $5 is a good price for a cookie, and that would be $250 a batch. Trying to sell a 1/2 cup of butter even @$100, would be a stretch around here. They are broke. I give away cookies to friends instead, one broke friend in particular, who comes by in the evenings when I am down at the ponds feeding the fish, as he is on his last strands.

I only thought about the math because a woman who is absolutely dead set against pot, asked me for a cookie the other day. It was for a friend of hers that is going through chemo and has nausea, and couldn't smoke for some reason. I had one that I gave her, but what if it worked and the person wanted more?

LOL. Cookie eaters... mmmpff, mmpfffh, mmmm LOL. https://youtu.be/xFYJ4nSvDB0?t=128 :D

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are making meds for others, may I suggest that you have your shatter analyzed so you know your starting point. The dosage is typically based on THC, because that is the one that you can over indulge on.

Locally they consider one THC dose 10 mg and you can have 10 doses per package or 100 mg. If your shatter measures 85% THC, then a 10 mg dose is 10 divided by .85, or about 11.76 mg shatter required per dose.

As noted, meds are typically made in batches and well blended into the medible recipe, so as to be uniform. It is then broken down into individual portions using weight, so it is also important that you weigh the rest of the components so you know how many doses your batch makes.

Not important how big or small the cookie itself is, as long as the batch divides into the correct number of 11.76 mg doses. If you weigh the total batch after mixing and divide by the number of doses you added, you can calculate individual cookie weight by simply division and not have to be so precise mixing the rest of the ingredients.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PS: Tolerance for THC varies considerably, which is why the individual dosage is only 10 mg. Titrate to find your individual dosage. On average we found that to be closer to 100 mg, but have seen 25 mg OD's by low tolerance individuals, with some high tolerance users closer to 200 mg, and it is common to build tolerance above 300 mg for cancer treatment.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
300mg caps have to come on like a freight train, especially on an empty stomach.

Some people need Lechithin to help the goodies get into their heads, others don't.

GW, I may never get cancer, due to eating 6-10, 75 (guess) mg cookies a day now.