What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BTU confusion

Cork144

So I have a 220litre water drum I can store outside full of water in the winter, I can use this drum as a outside water chiller, I need some help from some other stoners to help me muddle through all this calculation mess, As i am far too high and baffled

so one watt = 3.4 BTU, and a btu is a energy measurement for what it takes to raise 1lb of water by 1 farenheight, so a 220litre drum of water would require 1500BTU to raise the temperature,

so my question, how long in the BTU calculation are they giving for 1 watt of energy to heat 1lb of water, is it in an hour, ten minutes, i havent been able to find an answer,

I'd use questionmarks but my shift keys broken lol, thanks in advance

Cork144

its a btu/h, sorry guys silly question lol, anyway, sharing my thoughts,

1000litre IBC tank, thats 2200pounds of water, and would require 7500BTU to raise the water temp 1F in one hour, if pumping cold water through car radiators with fans, to use as a sort of AC effect, using my calculations, it would take 1200w of light, 12 hours to raise to temperature of 1000 litres of water by 6 degrees F, and thats if i dont take into acount any cooling from the winter air, realistically it would be far less i imagine

or this tank could be used to water cool DIY led set ups

Cork144

could even create copper pipe coils to stuff inside of outlet pipes, cooling the air down over a long distance to pump heat out with little to no IR

Drop That Sound

I think the best way would be to bury the water container, below the frost line at the least.

Have a constant temperature, as well as some geothermal action going on, and save on insulation costs.

eebbnflow

I was going to try this . I was going to have stainless steel coils submerged in ice cold 250L of water , being in Canada I figured it would work .

If you do this please check back in when you do and let us know how it worked .

I am trying out a dry chiller Aka air to water heat exchanger this coming fall and winte season

Drop That Sound

I was just thinking of lobbing some antifreeze in there with it

That's what I was going to do, it will work, as far as keeping it from freezing up.

Insulation will help buffer the temps so your not all over the place with the weather.

The best part about storing the heat is being able to release it back into the room when the lights shut off.

Cork144

That's what I was going to do, it will work, as far as keeping it from freezing up.

Insulation will help buffer the temps so your not all over the place with the weather.

The best part about storing the heat is being able to release it back into the room when the lights shut off.

defo on a smaller tank storing the heat will be good, but on a 1000litre IBC atleast for 2 600w the temperature of the water wouldnt have really budged much