What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lung Room Help

Americangrower

Veteran
So I have decided I need to make a lung room. Right now I draw air from the other side of cellar and its damp,dirty and prob filled with mildew/mold spores. Anyhow I am going to strip down grow area, clean it then paint floor to ceiling (everywhere).

My design (in my head) is to duct flower/veg (seeled) with 2 x 8" 800cfm fans, that will be pushed thru carbon filter in lung room. I'm going to use 2 tiny inline fans (100 cfm) or less to help intake air.
I am also going to install a tiny inlet (with car filter) for cold outside air and AC for warm months. I guess I have no choice but to add some Co2 as well.

Now my question has anyone added UV lights in their lung room?

I plan on putting 2 of these in there,https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XKZKKK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A1JFPHGOM4BC6O&psc=1
was going to run them 24hr, except for when I have to enter.

Any thoughts? open to all suggestions

troutman

Seed Whore
I think anything that doesn't add lots of heat to a lung room is fine. :tiphat:

I can't imagine 2 of those small UV bulbs hurting anything.

Americangrower

Veteran
Yeah I think the combined 30w of cfl shouldn't be to much heat. I am a lil worried about light coming thru inlet line so I may have to run 12/12 with lights on.

Americangrower

Veteran
Thats exactly what I was thinking, but I'm not sure it will work.
Right now my main concern is C02 I'm a lil concerned about how much a system cost. Trying to figure out a way to do it without tank/system.

DunHav`nFun

Exchange your room`s air twice per minute and there`s no CO2 supplements needed...…..Ran multiple locations with 2 flip rooms in each basement for well over 20 yrs with dialed results utilizing lungrooms equal in sq ftg to the size of the grow areas.....

Setups I ran had homes with upper crawlspaces and foundation vents where fresh air was pulled in 24/7 that then stepped down to full basements.....I built walls across the width of the basements 12' out and then framed up 2 bloom rooms back to back then used the rest for lungroom and clone pre-veg cabs then a large scrubber on a timer dumping stale stank air every few hrs depending on time of yr......also....

90 degree elbows sprayed black inside and turned down for intakes work well for lightproofing grow areas…..anyways.....Good luck and holler if I can help.....

Peace.....DHF...…:ying:

Americangrower

Veteran
Exchange your room`s air twice per minute and there`s no CO2 supplements needed...…..Ran multiple locations with 2 flip rooms in each basement for well over 20 yrs with dialed results utilizing lungrooms equal in sq ftg to the size of the grow areas.....

Setups I ran had homes with upper crawlspaces and foundation vents where fresh air was pulled in 24/7 that then stepped down to full basements.....I built walls across the width of the basements 12' out and then framed up 2 bloom rooms back to back then used the rest for lungroom and clone pre-veg cabs then a large scrubber on a timer dumping stale stank air every few hrs depending on time of yr......also....

90 degree elbows sprayed black inside and turned down for intakes work well for lightproofing grow areas…..anyways.....Good luck and holler if I can help.....

Peace.....DHF...…:ying:

This is how my grow room is setup now, but my problem is air quality. The basement on the other side is bad and I can't draw outside air in summer. So it is running on just basement air. I think I'm going to reconfigure rooms so that I have crawl space instead of using the entire space between rooms. I may be able to still use outside air and ac if I reduce lung area.

Americangrower

Veteran
Well hopefully the 15w uv bulbs I listed in 1st post truely are UVc as they say they are. My hope is they will kill any mildew/mold that enters lung area via the basement or outside air. I figure they are worth a shot for that price.

DunHav`nFun

Believe it or not , I went a solid decade usin pantyhose stretched over HVAC fittings tied to inline fans with never a problem.....then....

My F-350 started actin up so my mechanic ordered a tune up kit and burnt out the injectors....I came to pick it up and there was a new air filter by KLM if I remember right that was a perfect match for all my vortex inline fans so I had him order me a couple to try em out and they were awesome....Hepa and guaranteed to handle the needed cfms to not bog the fans down...…and.....pullin crawlspace air from the basement side will allow cooler air coming in instead of pulling directly from outside.....that`s how it worked for me but your setup may be different...
.anyways.....many ways ta skin a mule so good luck with the upgrades...…

Peace.....DHF.....:ying:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Believe it or not , I went a solid decade usin pantyhose stretched over HVAC fittings tied to inline fans with never a problem.....then....

My F-350 started actin up so my mechanic ordered a tune up kit and burnt out the injectors....I came to pick it up and there was a new air filter by KLM if I remember right that was a perfect match for all my vortex inline fans so I had him order me a couple to try em out and they were awesome....Hepa and guaranteed to handle the needed cfms to not bog the fans down...…and.....pullin crawlspace air from the basement side will allow cooler air coming in instead of pulling directly from outside.....that`s how it worked for me but your setup may be different...
.anyways.....many ways ta skin a mule so good luck with the upgrades...…

Peace.....DHF.....:ying:

So a KLM air filter for a for f350 fits your in take? What size fan are you running? What year Ford? How much were they?

I'm researching options, and a few routes I could take involve an intake filter over 6" round duct that is connected to 440 cfm 6" inline.

DunHav`nFun

So a KLM air filter for a for f350 fits your in take? What size fan are you running? What year Ford? How much were they?

I'm researching options, and a few routes I could take involve an intake filter over 6" round duct that is connected to 440 cfm 6" inline.

Hey bro......this was yrs ago , I`ve been retired for awhile......but....yes KLM hepa air filters for all big engine trucks nowadays that I know of.....Mine fit perfect to 6" vortex 450 cfm inline fans and handled the flow no problem.....

Awesome product just a lil pricey.....plus I`m in the Hell of the dirty south illegal state so ordering from hydro stores was a pet peeve of my paranoia as in not unless unable to find elsewhere.....

Good luck....DHF...…:ying:…..

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
If you are going to use a lung room try splitting your flower into two separate rooms with similar wattages that are flipped opposite so your humidity never spikes and your plants see similar day/night temps and humidity without running dehumidifiers and heaters during lights out.

Put your veg operation and trim area in the lung room with the two flower rooms exchanging with the lung.

Use filtered intake/exhaust or AC to cool the lung room enough to keep the flower rooms where you want them with the lights on.

I have 2- 8 in filtered fans that circulate my 2 light room with my lung room one fan filter combo in each room.

I pull hot air off the ceiling, duct it down to the floor then enter the adjacent room at floor level so the rooms have a nice even temp and odor is small.

I'm using a 12" fan and filter to cool the lung room, the intake is passive rectangular hole with fancy furnace filter and simple light trap baffle.

Lung room exchanges air with the garage in the winter to cool then switch to window banger to cool lung room once it gets warm outside.

You have to run the lung room about 5 degrees cooler than target flower room lights on temp, maybe more if you have really low ceilings. You have to have enough air exchange between the rooms.

Buying a used furnace blower to exchange air with lung rooms fast is a cheap DIY trick but you need to scrubb the air separately.

Those lights are supposed to be great for killing PM spores and mold but they have to be mounted inside ducts or a plenum where they won't be seen and the intake air or scrubbing air is always going by while they are on.

I want to try this unit after I can make certain it doesn't produce enough ozone to mess up my flowers.
https://www.amazon.com/REKO-Lightin...=B078MMJZ74&psc=1&refRID=E7BR2QK272MKKN4WPJ9D

I built the wall between my flower and lung with 2 x 6 on 24 inch centers and on one side at the top there's a 8 inch hole with the fan and filter, the air blows down between the studs and exits at the floor level in the other room. These circulate and filter 24/7 and I thought about sticking the UV lights inside just below the fan so the light would be trapped and the air prefiltered.

Those lights are not as effective if the air isn't well filtered.

CrushnYuba

I don't understand the whole thing. Why do you need a lung room? To share a single ac in summer? Only reason i have ever found to use lung rooms. That and to share light heat in winter.
Why do u need to intake from the basement? Why not just from outside? And where does the fresh air come from if you are intaking from the basement? It must leak in from somewhere.
It's incredibly cheap and easy to frame out walls in basements using steel studs if you want to divide part of your basement.. But I'm confused to where it's all leading