What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question, 6" duct fan to 4" carbon filter

budsnblunts

Veteran
Hey everybody I'm just wondering if anyone has used a 6/150 mm inline fan/duct fan on a 4"/100 mm carbon filter? From what i can figure out the duct fans are no good to pull through a 6" carbon filter. But would a 6" duct fan have enough power to pull efficiently through a 4" filter?
My room is about 4.9 m3, the fan i have moves 530m3/h. Would a 4" carbon filter that is 350m3/h or even 480m3/h work? I would like to use it as an exhaust but could just run it strait in the room circulating. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time stay safe everyone :tiphat:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hey everybody I'm just wondering if anyone has used a 6/150 mm inline fan/duct fan on a 4"/100 mm carbon filter? From what i can figure out the duct fans are no good to pull through a 6" carbon filter. But would a 6" duct fan have enough power to pull efficiently through a 4" filter?
My room is about 4.9 m3, the fan i have moves 530m3/h. Would a 4" carbon filter that is 350m3/h or even 480m3/h work? I would like to use it as an exhaust but could just run it strait in the room circulating. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time stay safe everyone :tiphat:
Please don't eat that Elmer!
If properly sized e.g fan/filter, a 6" fan has more than enough power to do the job. Choking the fans capacity by reducing its capable volume is never a good thing. A larger capacity filter would be a better choice IMHO :)

Cantharellus

Well I use the exact opposite. A 4 inch ultra quiet bathroom fan extracting the room and blowing into a 6 inch can filter. Hook it up and you will know. Does your fan have a controller ? If not you will probably need one to adjust your flow.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Better to have an oversized filter than vice versa. You want to maximize the time the air is passing over carbon.

budsnblunts

Veteran
Thanks for the replies. All i have heard is that the duct fan/inline fan/booster fan do not have enough power to run through a carbon filter. I'll post a picture. It isn't a centrifuge which is why i bought up the idea of a smaller filter to pull through.
picture.php

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Thanks for the replies. All i have heard is that the duct fan/inline fan/booster fan do not have enough power to run through a carbon filter. I'll post a picture. It isn't a centrifuge which is why i bought up the idea of a smaller filter to pull through.
View Image
You bought a "booster" fan not an exhaust fan! Soory :( I know it sucks, but it is what it is!

budsnblunts

Veteran
Yeah man.. i am lucky that this was just givin to me so i want to try make the most of it and try run it as a circulating scrubber insude the room. Reckon there isn't much point trying?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Yeah man.. i am lucky that this was just givin to me so i want to try make the most of it and try run it as a circulating scrubber insude the room. Reckon there isn't much point trying?
Not all is lost :) Use it as an intake fan with a HEPA fliter on the suction (low, opposite side of ehaust) :) Winner winner chicken dinner! It was free right?

budsnblunts

Veteran
Yip i will do something like that man. I'll keep my eye out for a centrifugal fan next time. Thank you aye

Cork144

never undersize the fan to filter, if the air flow rate is too high not all substances will be scrubbed, I have always used 5inch fans to 6inch filters, its far better for your safety to have more scrubbing than less, plus the larger filters greater surface area can help reduce some of the static pressure required to pull the air through the layer of carbon, within reason ofcourse,

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry I missed that.

You want to find a resistance chart similar to the ones provided by Can Fan if possible. Not all fans carry load the same and I suspect that does not.

Latest posts

Latest posts