What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Warning, cannabis & anesthesia

Easy7

Veteran
There has been articles recently that led me to investigate more.

Point being, people have not reported they use cannabis and have worken up during surgery.

If you are due for surgery, stop using cannabis as soon as possible and be certain you tell the team about your cannabis usage.

Cannabis users require more anethesia

B

Bongi

Very interesting. I wonder how cannabis causes more tolerance to anesthetics?

Edit. Fuck I am too high to operate internet. First I message people in past and now I am in old fart area. I am still too young and stubid to be here. Bye!

MrBungle

My first gues is any type of medication that affects the REM Sleep will affect how you react to anesthetics during surgery...

but the fact that people will be up front with what type of "legal" medications they are taking with doctors, and be hesitant to mention they are taking something "illegal" makes it a little more complicated

Easy7

Veteran
Google 'cannabis anetheisa' on google or yahoo or whatever.

There were also facebook comments under articles of people with real accounts of waking up. One dude was having ear surgery and woke up with the side of his head open. He said if the team didn't notice the tears running down his face, they never would of. It's a very scary reality to be aware of. NOT FAKE NEWS

J

jaded1

Maybe that is why I woke up during nerve re-attachment surgery!Really didn't bother me though,just laid there and watched the surgeon do his work

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Explains why the dentist gets pissed off with me saying it still hurts after a local and needing a second shot every time.

G

ganjygav

Explains why the dentist gets pissed off with me saying it still hurts after a local and needing a second shot every time.

Amen to that.
My dentist has to give me loads of injections sometimes. He looks at me like I'm either crazy or I'm playing games.
One time within 10 mins of leaving the dentist I hurled violently and had a pins and needles sensation in my stomach for hours.

Other times like my last visit I only needed one injection for a root canal.
Maybe he knows and that's what the funny looks are about lol.

I never suspected cannabis having this affect. Interesting. Maybe I shouldn't smoke to settle my nerves before going to the dentist lol.

DemonTrich

Veteran
I've been under 3x with "twilight" anesthesia for surgeries. I have a huge tolerance. I made sure to tell them.im.a heavy smoker, and was asked to refrain the day before surgery.

I did not wake up. Or I don't remwmber.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I call bullshit.

I talked to a friend of mine who is an anesthesiologist and he said the amount of medication you give a patient is dependent on his vital signs (among other things) and changes all the time. There is no set dose or standard amount that's used to keep a person out. The medication amounts are monitored and adjusted constantly during surgery.

So, if a person woke up when he wasn't supposed to, it's because the anesthesiologist fucked up.

I'm not saying that a person who smokes pot might not need more medicine to keep him out. Just that the anesthesiologist would know based upon the vital signs and it would have nothing to do with whether the patient smoked pot or not.

I would like to hear a second opinion from another anesthesiologist. Do we have one here?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Physician anesthesiologists use a combination of anesthesia medications for surgery, including one – most commonly propofol – to render the patient unconscious. In the study, researchers determined that the amount of propofol required to produce unconsciousness varied widely between patients and was independent of age, gender, weight or height. Close monitoring of the patient’s neurological signs and brainwaves was used to determine when the correct dosage was achieved.

https://www.asahq.org/about-asa/new...d-for-general-anesthesia-varies-widely?page=4

Chappi

I had to have emergency surgery and I had been smoking weed for a whole week straight, I sometimes think it’s what sVed me. Anyway I didn’t wake up until the next day.

bigbadbiddy

I second Ringodoggie.

Have acquaintances who are anesthesiologists and asked them back when I had to have surgery and heard about this for the first time.

They told me the same thing as my doc when I asked him about it:
"Well BBB uhhhm... any DAILY substance abuse is not recommendable and that includes cannabis but as far as the surgery goes, no, it doesn't affect it".

The doc didn't explain it to me but I later asked an anesthesiologist acquaintance and she explained what Ringodoggie said:
General anesthesia does consider factors such as height/weight for their initial dose or "starting point" (and this could be affected by regular cannabis use). But your levels are constantly monitored along with vital signs and the whole job of the anesthesiologist throughout the entire surgery is to make sure these levels are "correct" meaning you neither wake up nor do you die.

It's why they are paid so highly. If they fuck it up they can cause the hospital to become liable to getting sued by patients if they wake up or remember/feel their surgery. If they fuck up too much in the other direction, they can kill them or cause permanent damage.

Walking that border requires constant alertness, attentiveness and professionalism and that is why they are paid so much.

What OP mentioned is armchair science, fear mongering and anecdotal bullshit.

Or as Mr. President elect would call it: FAKE NEWS, SAD!

Dangerous to spread misinformation like that...

What ever happened to not rely on anecdotal facebook posts but talking to an actual professional in the field, a scientist etc. before "sharing" your "findings" with the rest of the world?

Whatever happened to due diligence and checking your sources???

St. Phatty

That's not cannabis, that's "accessory innervation". It means you have extra nerves that were not put to sleep by the original injection.

It's the dentist's job to stop whining & deal with it.

There is a device called a "Ligmaject" which takes some force and pushes novacaine etc. into the bone tissue around the tooth they are operating on.

I've had it used a few times. It's sort of scary, because it takes a lot of force to push the needle in. One time they used it, the ampule with the novacaine exploded (2 inches from my face).

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Dentists have not used Novocaine for decades. I believe what they use now is called Lidocaine.

And, yes, MJ died from Propofol (among other things).

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
During a difficult wisdom tooth extraction (horizontal growth) I woke up and had not smoked within weeks. I remember the doctor reaching down and pushing the plunger on the valium hypodermic taped to my arm ready for the possibility. It must happen a lot or the extra medication would not have been made so available.

Many times during the early years I needed to stop the procedures and call for another shot.
Finally a nurse explained that I had a 'long buckle' holding the cluster of nerves the novacaine infused. If I would tell the doctor before treatment then this problem would not reoccur.
I do and the problem no longer happens. Information saved further pain.

Latest posts

Latest posts