What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Disability

Smokerman

Veteran
Applied for disability benefits a couple months ago, just got letter from disability office saying I’m approved.
Hardly gonna get rich but it sure helps, few bucks every month and prescriptions paid.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Wow you did good. It took me one app, two protests before I got mine. Like you said, I'm not rich but I get by.

soundman

That was fast. They owed me two years back pay. That was with only one reconsideration.

I now make in a month what I used to in four days of my old gig. Shit!!!

Smokerman

Veteran
That was fast. They owed me two years back pay. That was with only one reconsideration.

I was told it takes a minimum of 3 months.
The letter I got from them was dated September 7 and they said they received my package August 15, so yeah I think that was incredibly fast.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Yep, welcome to the world of disability.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Good Deal...

Good Deal...

Applied for disability benefits a couple months ago, just got letter from disability office saying I’m approved.
Hardly gonna get rich but it sure helps, few bucks every month and prescriptions paid.

I think I got state disability for a year, I now get Social Security Disability. I will get Medicare soon, before 65 because I get SS disability.

Edit: I got a check for more than $15,000 when it came thru.

Good Luck!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, mine took almost 2.75 years because SS lost my file. Grrr! Back payment (for several years, due to chronic problems and loss of file) and have good days/weeks, bad days/weeks. Work part time (adjunct college instructor) and other means (cough, cough) - a sense of purpose and mental stimulation. Did volunteerism when I couldn't work.

Quite different than previous high stress career. Now, it's all about balance.

Good luck everyone.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thinking about it.

Broke my wrist in 02 & haven't worked a steady job since 06.

Haven't seen a doctor since 06, except for once when I needed a couple stitches in a maimed finger.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I really hope the rest of you guys in this thread actually really need to be on disability.Yes, indeed, cannot work full time due to chronic illnesses (and Doctors/ SSDI all AGREE!), and yet I do work (adjunct instructor) part time.
Do not wish this on anyone!

G

I think there are way too many lazy fucks gaming the system. I had a brother who did and thankfully he dropped dead from being a worthless alcoholic that bled his family for years because he was simply lazy.

Having said that people who DESERVE this program should have a easier path and those who game it should have a brick wall they cant get thru.

Without getting far out in the weeds people who work every day with life's aches pains have disdain for the ones who wont. Not those who CANT. And expect me to pay for it. I go to work and work about every other weekend Saturday and Sunday as well. I do so by choice because Im not satisfied with subsistence level living.
I work in a place with several thousand people and they abuse the handicapped parking all the time. I know a couple with "back pain" that walk a couple miles a day and climb ladders and stairs constantly as part of their job and never bat an eye. Myself I have had knee surgery which is always still cranky especially in the winter. I had my neck fused last year after tolerating increasing pain and numbness in my arms for 2 years. I just did my job and got if fixed and didnt feel like I needed to play the handicapped card. Some of the people who do where I work are younger and in better health than me.
I see ONE person where I work who is suffering from partial paralysis in one arm and has a severe limp from an accident years ago. He does have a desk type job but refuses to use handicapped parking and works full time.

Some people deserve all the disability help they can get. Some deserve a kick in the ass and to go hungry till they are motivated to get a JAY OH BEE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I know that this is a passionate subject guys, being disabled is no joke.

But can we please refrain from boring profane invective during your 'civil discourse' on the subject?

Or I will have to play 'The Enforcer!'.

shithawk420

Veteran
Most of this negativity is probably coming from people from both coasts who dont understand howhat bad the economy is in the rural midwest.I know people that are sick and dying that can't get disability but younger people with bipolar and 5 kids get it easier.I don't have disability but I know there are a ton of people that need it arent getting it.so before people complain about 1/10% of your penny you spent on tax look at where tax money is really going.Im sure that extra 1/10 penny you paid for tax didn't even see a person on disability.

rogerw

I hve been on dis since i was 38 yrs old . i was told by asses boy that must be nice . well i am now 61 and am used to the remarks and just reply take a walk in my shoes before you make your judgment . 3 back operations another coming . congrats and yes there are many looking for a free ride but most find out it is not that easy to get or worth the fight unless you need it

Gry

I am inclined to think it can be easy to be much further out in the weeds than it may appear at a glance.

G

Most of this negativity is probably coming from people from both coasts who dont understand howhat bad the economy is in the rural midwest.I know people that are sick and dying that can't get disability but younger people with bipolar and 5 kids get it easier.I don't have disability but I know there are a ton of people that need it arent getting it.so before people complain about 1/10% of your penny you spent on tax look at where tax money is really going.Im sure that extra 1/10 penny you paid for tax didn't even see a person on disability.

I live in the crossroads of America. No ocean in sight. Jobs are going begging.

Gry

Any one used to dealing with the VA knows it can get convoluted. .
The disabled I have been exposed to have been decent people with mostly positive attitudes, as demonstrated by the responses to this thread.

WelderDan

Veteran
I probably qualify (two titanium plates in my neck) but I'm capable of working, so I would feel bad taking disability.

Now my piece of shit neighbor, she's on it and she sure as shit doesn't deserve it. Supposedly she has fibromyalgia, but I see her mowing the grass, loading kayaks into her truck, toting lumber, riding her Harley. If my ass can drive a desk, she sure as shit can too.

It pisses me off when I see that shit, because I know a lot of people that deserve it and played hell getting it, but this worthless bitch somehow got it. And the worst part is, her aunt is mentally handicapped and has a heart condition, and that lazy bitch couldn't be arsed to help her aunt do the paperwork to get it. My wife ended up helping her prepare the paperwork. She was able to get it, and my bitch neighbor tries to take credit for it.

What a peice of shit.