What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SA company cleared to grow cannabis for use in Lesotho

DjKinetics

In recent weeks alot has happened in South Africa concerning cannabis business. Allegedly a Canadian company Cannameds has signed a deal in SA,while a battle within South Africa is taking shape over the future industry. What could be seen as an attempt to monopolise the business BGFoundation have purposed a five year plan of so called industry viability studies which many including myself have many concerns over the purposal relating to permits and the evident nepotism and corruption that is surely in play.
On a more positive note also this past Friday...

"SA company cleared to grow cannabis for use in Lesotho

The granting of a licence to a South African company to begin the cultivation of cannabis for medical use in Lesotho may bode well for its availability - and legalisation - in South Africa.

South African company Verve Dynamics - which describes itself as a “vegan-friendly manufacturer of highly purified botanical extracts” - became the first company in Africa to have been granted regulatory approval to begin the process of “growing and producing high-quality cannabis extracts commercially”.

The licence relates to the cultivation, processing, and sale of cannabis for medical and scientific

The company’s representative, Richard Davies, said in a statement that the Lesotho government’s decision to move forward with the “historic decision” meant that the country would play a significant role in developing the industry, both locally and internationally, as well as establishing itself as a pioneer on the African continent with regards to state-of-the-art extraction equipment.

He said they would make all the equipment and services used in South *Africa available to their partners in Africa, as long as both the legal and regulatory approvals had been met."
Full article:
https://www.africanindy.com/news/sa-company-cleared-to-grow-cannabis-for-use-in-lesotho-11211874

SmellyFlorist

Why is the ANC anti cannabis?

More than likely because they are a bunch of illiterate wannabe terrorists that are hell bent on enriching themselves and implementing their interpretation of an ideology thats out dated... :gaga:

@Mikell... go savoury and have a bunny chow...

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My knowledge of SA is skin deep.

Ah I just Googled that. I might have to fire up the stove. Friggin' love curry and I am an old hand at putting soup into bread.

DjKinetics

More than likely because they are a bunch of illiterate wannabe terrorists that are hell bent on enriching themselves and implementing their interpretation of an ideology thats out dated... :gaga:

@Mikell... go savoury and have a bunny chow...

Yip that pretty much sums it up.
I'm more of a Spatlo man myself rather then bunny chow.
Spatlo = a sandwich of thick slices of bread filled with chips (fries), Cheese, ham or anything else you can think of jamming in there :)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
11226625_400403313475275_773456646_n.jpg

Looks delicious but from my Google search I am left wondering who taught ya'll how to cut up bread.

W

Water-

In recent weeks alot has happened in South Africa concerning cannabis business. Allegedly a Canadian company Cannameds has signed a deal in SA,while a battle within South Africa is taking shape over the future industry. What could be seen as an attempt to monopolise the business BGFoundation have purposed a five year plan of so called industry viability studies which many including myself have many concerns over the purposal relating to permits and the evident nepotism and corruption that is surely in play.
On a more positive note also this past Friday...

"SA company cleared to grow cannabis for use in Lesotho

The granting of a licence to a South African company to begin the cultivation of cannabis for medical use in Lesotho may bode well for its availability - and legalisation - in South Africa.

South African company Verve Dynamics - which describes itself as a “vegan-friendly manufacturer of highly purified botanical extracts” - became the first company in Africa to have been granted regulatory approval to begin the process of “growing and producing high-quality cannabis extracts commercially”.

The licence relates to the cultivation, processing, and sale of cannabis for medical and scientific

The company’s representative, Richard Davies, said in a statement that the Lesotho government’s decision to move forward with the “historic decision” meant that the country would play a significant role in developing the industry, both locally and internationally, as well as establishing itself as a pioneer on the African continent with regards to state-of-the-art extraction equipment.

He said they would make all the equipment and services used in South *Africa available to their partners in Africa, as long as both the legal and regulatory approvals had been met."
Full article:
https://www.africanindy.com/news/sa-company-cleared-to-grow-cannabis-for-use-in-lesotho-11211874

how far off do you think medical legalization or even full legalization is in SA?

sounds like its getting closer, with lesotho being an experiment.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Lesotho could use the jobs and whatever money trickles their way. I was there in 2009 and I've never seen such poverty. And I've been around.. Only guys did good business were the undertakers, and of course Chinese merchants. Not to mention the HIV/Aids numbers there.. Sad stuff. Still, worth a visit. Beautiful hiking spots and scenery to be experienced. Mostly friendly people there. One guy in the mountains got mad at me cause his bumming of stuff didn't work. 1st he asked for change, didn't have any, then cigarettes, didn't have any either. And lastly he wanted candy :D I don't usually eat candy, so no go there either. Kinda weird to have a 40 sumtin year old dude asking for candy, but to each his own. And yea, they do like their sugar there :)

And if u go to Lesotho, stay out of Maseru, the capital city. Pretty much nothing to see there, some dude tried to break in our car in the middle of the day with us watching like 50 meters away.
I ordered a club sandwich from a restaurant, figured it wouldn't take long cause we had to get to Johannesburg and Pretoria before sundown.. Took 40 minutes for them to whip up the order. Sure it was a lazy sunday. Still, it was cool, would go again, just not to Maseru :tiphat:

DjKinetics

Lesotho could use the jobs and whatever money trickles their way. I was there in 2009 and I've never seen such poverty. And I've been around.. Only guys did good business were the undertakers, and of course Chinese merchants. Not to mention the HIV/Aids numbers there.. Sad stuff. Still, worth a visit. Beautiful hiking spots and scenery to be experienced. Mostly friendly people there. One guy in the mountains got mad at me cause his bumming of stuff didn't work. 1st he asked for change, didn't have any, then cigarettes, didn't have any either. And lastly he wanted candy :D I don't usually eat candy, so no go there either. Kinda weird to have a 40 sumtin year old dude asking for candy, but to each his own. And yea, they do like their sugar there :)

And if u go to Lesotho, stay out of Maseru, the capital city. Pretty much nothing to see there, some dude tried to break in our car in the middle of the day with us watching like 50 meters away.
I ordered a club sandwich from a restaurant, figured it wouldn't take long cause we had to get to Johannesburg and Pretoria before sundown.. Took 40 minutes for them to whip up the order. Sure it was a lazy sunday. Still, it was cool, would go again, just not to Maseru :tiphat:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=4874&pictureid=75133&t]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=4874&pictureid=76324&]View Image[/url]

Agreed. This is a huge opportunity for Lesotho. Even the illegal market has been identified already as the third largest export income for Lesotho.

DjKinetics

how far off do you think medical legalization or even full legalization is in SA?

sounds like its getting closer, with lesotho being an experiment.

I think soon S.A. will have medical in the form of pills etc. not dried flower.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think soon S.A. will have medical in the form of pills etc. not dried flower.

This is exactly what legalization is about.
Pharma companies, the world over, are watching the US A & will be following suit.

Ain't it great to be a trend setter?

DjKinetics

A update for anyone interested...

Zimbabwe a few months or so ago have also stated their intent to legalise cultivation but made it very clear possession would remain illegal,doesn't surprise me this is Zim we talking about, any case the Govt. has already backtracked on the first announcement.

Similar things have already happen with the Lesotho "legalization"

"Heralded as the first country to have officially legalized cannabis in Africa, word on the street in Lesotho though is that 7 licences have already been issued to foreign investors only."

"While there is certainly progress being made on the medical dynamics of cannabis in the Lesotho, the plant otherwise remains strictly illegal for any other purpose. This was recently well highlighted when a large bust took place at their border. Interestingly the family of Lesotho’s deputy minister of health, ’Manthabiseng Phohleli, became embroiled in the drug-smuggling scandal after police found more than three-and-a-half tonnes of cannabis worth R5-million in a truck belonging to her husband as it crossed into South Africa."

Welcome to Africa

Welcome to corruption.

Sounds similar to Florida with a Canadian company getting a license to grow. South Africa seems worse though with no local licenses.

Why is there no checks and balances to the massive amounts of corruption everywhere in our world?!

DjKinetics

Welcome to corruption.

Sounds similar to Florida with a Canadian company getting a license to grow. South Africa seems worse though with no local licenses.

Why is there no checks and balances to the massive amounts of corruption everywhere in our world?!

true man. Your last "question" is a rhetorical one that i been "asking" myself for years
:tiphat:

DjKinetics

The plot sickens in the South African context i could go on about it for days but its mostly my own suspicisions and speculations, would only be able to know for certain after the fact which is obvouisly problematic when it comes to raising awareness locally.
But to sum up my theory :
We not even legal yet and the cannabis industrty has already been captured by groups claiming to be fighting for the intrests of all and legalization.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
I don't think medical decriminalization will help the job market. Considering how much cannabis they already grow there for the export market it may reduce the number of jobs. If they crack down on illegal growers at the same time as supplying a domestic medical market. Of course some of the medical legal crop will be diverted to the black market but it will be peanuts compared to the large scale export market. I'm sure the local medical demand is much smaller then the export and local recreational demand.
As we've seen in the US the profits will shift from small scale marginalized poor people in rural areas to rich business owners who can buy all the licenses and facilities for large scale indoor medical growing. They may hire a few of the growers to tend their warehouses and farms but I doubt the pay will be better and it could be worse.
As marijuana shifts from a small scale labor intensive crop to a large scale mechanized mass produced product I'm not sure we'll see a big increase in employment opportunities except for migrant trimmers who get paid minimum wage or less. No one talks about all the jobs growing corn creates.

Latest posts

Latest posts