What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What did it feel like to Grow back then ???

M

moose eater

Evolution of awareness

Evolution of awareness

In the mid-70s, it was a big ego boost. Made you someone.

Less than a half-dozen years later, it became a serious matter, coming into awareness of the stakes, the reality of human behavior, and the job, once a joy, became a necessary burden.

From 'fun and games,' to 'don't screw up.'

Then, ultimately, 'Be careful who you associate with, as they hold your life in their hands.'

Lemonhoko

My hydro kit from the early 80's.

Yes it was dangerous to grow back then...thieves and cops always hunting us.
I got my fair share of bumps and bruises..., 4 felonies for growing or delivery...and still at it!
Pic was taken with a poleroid...no way I would send pics in to be developed.

~Lem

hamstring

Veteran
I was a teenager in late 70s early 80s was exposed to weed but new nothing about growing it.
I grew up as a hunter and trapper and outdoorsman in the midwest and one thing I could tell you is if I had any growing skills I could have grown fields of weed without detection.

There was no LEO looking outdoors and most people couldn't tell a pot plant from ragweed. Goes without saying there was zero growing info to be had in small town USA.

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
Shocks

Russian was "Reaper"

His signature said DEA Can't Touch This! His grows were massive just mind blowing back then.

Bought my first 400 hps hi boy from an electrical supply company in 1991? We got busted a year later and they still seized the light even though it wasn't even firing.

peace
Jip

Mr.Miner

Really awesome stories- thanks everyone for sharing...I am young by comparison, for sure but I have many memories of strange days indeed...I'll never forget knowing exactly the day that the new HT would be hitting the shelves at my local spot. They would barely have the plastic band off of the pile and my greedy hands would be grabbing the top issue and then paying for it at the counter, sheepishly...That was the only info. I could ever find and I worshiped those fucking magazines...The THMQ made me salivate and I would read it over and over and over and daydream about having access to such kind, kind sounding bud and imported hash. (which I didn't).

I was a small, very late bloomer and I remember being in bikers houses and apartments nervously waiting to score something. I swear I was always just waiting to get the shit kicked out of me, but for some reason they never did. God bless 'em.

It was a scary 'Just Say No' time and people were getting their houses (and even their grandparents houses), cars, etc., fucking confiscated all the time! The stories were endless and they just tore your fucking heart out. And all for growing a plant. A beautiful, sensual, loving, peaceful, giving plant.

But, it was probably passion mixed in with insanity and being less-than-brilliant that led us to be self-sufficient. Playing the waiting game and seeing $65 eighths eat up our measly paychecks led to that, too...There were many nights in those pre-cell phone days where we would be waiting, and waiting and waiting on the man to show and he just didn't...And no one in their right fucking mind would ever talk on the phone so it was even more maddening and elusive...When the phone would finally ring, though, you were already high from delight.

Sweating our asses off with tape sticking against packs of NL, Blueberry, Durban Poison, etc., to the insides of our legs while coming in from Schiphol was just about enough to make my heart explode. But it didn't. And those Dutch seeds took to the outdoors of the North East pretty damned well, considering.

These days, hearing kids talk so flippantly and nonchalantly about growing and smoking and having so many choices makes me want to puke- right on them. But, in my heart I am glad that they have an easier time.

I just think it means a lot more when it isn't just handed to you on a silver platter. There's a richness and honor in experience when it wasn't so easy. And I have a hard time relating to anyone who didn't go through it.

Wolfshadoe

SHOCKS!!

SHOCKS!!

AS Shocks said,,,

It was really something special back in the OG days:comfort:
Hell after MANY years,i just NOW stumbled on my old friend .fellow MENTOR...I'm still just as excited today as I was at 15 going out into the swamp and seeing my plants..Only difference now is,I no longer grow them BIG plants..7 month wait,and back then hell! If you could get 2 lbs from a plant,that was almost unheard of!!.I did it a few times,but not many.,,I get 5 outdoor harvest NOW per year,and been doing since overgrow days..Good seeing a old friend.Yall stay safe..
Peace!! <ws>

Seeded..I can RELATE.So true..Wolfshadow had a decade absence from here,so long I forgot my password,lol..Hell I still have a active thread!! Spring Harvest crew. I found that girl,have a home,no longer a outlaw. Yet I HAVE not changed.Its always BEEN yeah,,I grow some hooch.. I'm not getting rich,and believe me if you go out and find it in that swamp then your gonna have to work for it..NOW? >>>METH!!! In most small town USA this poison has taken LEO's resource's ..I'm well known by LEO in my small chunk of earth. They know how I feel about chemicals,drugs ect and pretty much leave me the fuck alone..They know I will go toe to toe in a court room if needed,but unlike MOST normal ppl it COST me alot by 35 years of being a outlaw/fugitive or in prison..Today I'm a HUMBLED man,and just thankful to be alive {old} and seeing my offspring thrive.But,still have that same passion for MJ..I feel for all you that has been strapped by indoor city life.. Very well stated seeded..

Last edited:

Cadfael

We all wore brown, because that was the only color of clothing available. We were mostly covered in fertilizer and men on horses would ride by proclaiming they were king of us because some water tart threw them a sword.

Shocks2

Great to see you Wolf!!! When I think about the OG crew from back in the day, you always pop into my head. Had a blast that one night we got together with Jeast and drank, toked, and talked shop. I believe OG Nathan was there too if I'm not mistaken. Great times indeed. :)
Keep in touch my man.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Before legalization started sweeping the country it seemed like the growers I met were alot cooler people. Most of them more concerned with quality over quantity. Most of them had a hippy vibe about them. Now it seem money is the primary goal of most growers.
Probably why I am taking up beekeeping and going back to popping seeds and hobby breeding. Getting back to the loving my favorite plant!

Wolfshadoe

Time on my hands..

Time on my hands..

Well I'm back in the tokers den..Been chilling and catching up..

Shocks will tell yall..What ?prolly 03/04?..By then I had been growing 20 + years>>>>But when I found OG my whole game changed:dance013:..I personally met>>Shocks and MANY others!

I mean ,,HTF do you trust someone you never met?..For those that missed those days.Just imagine meeting someone for the first time when nothing was legal?..Hell. we did boys!!..Not once did I ever meet a single person from OG days that was nothing more than what they said they were..

Night Shocks is talking about, is he came to my swamp and we had a lil "shin dig" 4 mentors that came together from a damn website!!
Friends were made..Hell >>Nathan prolly around here somewhere..

my first good weed came from a bail of pot I helped my uncle unload in 78,The seeds were real tiny..I grew those plants and had my first good harvest that fall..My 3 older brothers use to get pissed because all their friends wanted "me" to tag along.:biggrin:
I had the "killer"..

I'm 54 now,and 2 of them gone..Thing is, I have lived a "very" crazy life.Some said I would never make it out of my 20s.Never would I make it through my 30s!!.I guess doing time through most of my 40s prolly saved me..

Funny story comes to mind about OG days.We had A fellow OG'er
his name/handle:"icopewithsmoke".Grew some Race horse sativa..
He had about a 12lb harvest that year..He had come to my swamp and spent some time with me in the swamp..I actually lived in the swamp in a tent.Or I should say,several tents at my grows.

He would take pictures.Take them home and then DL them on his PC and do a thread on my GG's. People often wonderd how I was able to take ppl to my grows like that..It was easy. I normally lived 24/7 in the swamp..The only thing I looked foreword to was getting back into town to down load my pics and see my friends at overgrow.They were the only ones I could trust with what I was doing..

We would get in a van about 2 in the morning and go for a ride. I would say stop! We opened the doors and got out into blackness..The van would go on and I would turn on my headlight for the walk to the closest camp.Anyway>>Cope went and got religious on me and felt in some way he had to rid his self of his IGG
Ill gotten Gains..I would like to say he gave me that 12 lbs.Oh but hell no! He went and burnt it!!!

There is A brighter note to this story. Cope went on to become a "professer" in Tallahassee college ..No BS!! Infact I have money orders where he sent me money as I went through my own "college":biggrin:...That's what it felt like back then...Folks I been knowing for years here on this site as well as the site that first brought us together..Shocks..PM me!!!:huggg:
Peace!! <ws>

Latest posts

Latest posts