What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Watering smart pots, damn smart pots...

w3rds

Hey all,

In week 8 of my current grow, first grow using smart pots. In the 3 gallon smart pots ATM and I have no idea if I'm watering enough when I water. I water once every 3-4 days, but have only been feeding 3 cups of water. Usually will see under-watering droop on day 4(pushing 5), but have upturned leaves the other 3 days. I've never watered this little without some sad looking plants, but the 3 seem to be doing just fine(maybe a little short, but new strain so hard to tell). I see run off even when I just pour a cup, so the old "20% run off" doesn't really work..

Any smart pots users have tips on this?

Attachments

• IMG_20170326_133601333_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170326_133601333_HDR.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 20

petert

Im assuming you are in soil? I have fabric pots ranging from 3 gallons - 100 gallons.
I also use coco coir in some soil in others.
Coco I water daily and soil depending on the size, but my 3 gallon its ever third day.
In both I aim for zero run off unless I'm flushing.

B

back_woods

10% of volume. that is how i do it. i use amended soil. what medium you using? if promix or peat then use the weight test. water till run off and lift the pot. once it is feeling like half that weight water again.

if your getting run off from 1 cup than your medium is way to dry as in bone dry. need to water a little at a time so the medium can absorb it.

w3rds

Im using FFOF with a few amendments added and 20% perlite. Ive only actually seen the underwater droop on the 1 day i let them go 5 days to see how the pot held water.

w3rds

Or am I just bring stupid and runoff only references water that comes through the bottom of the pot and not the bottom 1/3 of the pot, like most of my run off.

jwm

Veteran
I'm in 10 gl smartpots on a windy bluff and water 2 gls of water daily otherwise i get droop bigtime.
I like smartpots but plan on watering a lot more often if outdoors.

Latest posts

Latest posts