What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How When & Why do you apply Epsom Salt

MobbDeep

owl mirrow..you will not be dissapointed..and NO the cal-mag bottles will NOT make a noticable difference..people who buy this are the same one spending all there money on entire nute line-ups,when all that is needed is a good n-p-k base nutes,some flower boosters..and thats it..the rest you can buy on your own,such as grandmas mollases,.which these same luxurious growers are spending 30+$ on a bottle of what is essentially diluted mollases with a fancy label!

Owl Mirror

Veteran
owl mirrow..you will not be dissapointed..and NO the cal-mag bottles will NOT make a noticable difference..people who buy this are the same one spending all there money on entire nute line-ups,when all that is needed is a good n-p-k base nutes,some flower boosters..and thats it..the rest you can buy on your own,such as grandmas mollases,.which these same luxurious growers are spending 30+$ on a bottle of what is essentially diluted mollases with a fancy label!

Yeah, that is what I've come to believe too. I'm not adverse to learning but, I am not such a talented grower that I have money growing on trees ;>}

E

EvilTwin

Splurge and buy some CalMag Plus instead. Works much better.

epsom SALT and plants don't get along as well.

I know you have no proof or source for this, since none exist. Epsom Salts are used by the ton by farmers all over the country. I't the mainstay of MG supplementation...and is applied directly to the soil.

Calmag is fine...more expensive. But what if you don't need the extra calcium?

Then better to use magsulphate (epsom salts)
Cheers,
ET

L

LolaGal

OK, I tried to help answer the questions you asked Owl Mirror, and give you my opinion.

that is what you asked for right? When you opened this thread?

I think what you really want is a pat on the head and somebody to agree with you that this product is good. OK, here ya go,.

Epsom salts is such a great idea, what a money saver.

Buy a bag of weed for $40, but only spend $3 on your grow.

That's the way to do it.

I hear human urine is way better than fertilizer too! Think of all the money you will save.!!!!! :)

Poop in a bucket and save that for bloom ferts... :biglaugh: That's what they fert rice with in Viet Nam! There's another $5 saved.

:biglaugh:

E

EvilTwin

OK, I tried to help answer the questions you asked Owl Mirror, and give you my opinion.

that is what you asked for right? When you opened this thread?

I think what you really want is a pat on the head and somebody to agree with you that this product is good. OK, here ya go,.

Epsom salts is such a great idea, what a money saver.

Buy a bag of weed for $40, but only spend $3 on your grow.

That's the way to do it.

I hear human urine is way better than fertilizer too! Think of all the money you will save.!!!!! :)

Poop in a bucket and save that for bloom ferts... :biglaugh: That's what they fert rice with in Viet Nam! There's another $5 saved.

:biglaugh:

Lola,
No you weren't answering his question. He wasn't asking "should" he use Epsom Salts...he wanted to know how.

And since when is the quality of a horticultural product based directly on cost? Cheaper isn't necessarily worse, or the opposite: expensive doesn't mean best.
ET

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Well I certainly didn't expect a pissing match to come out of this discussion.
My original question was: How When & Why do you apply Epsom Salt
Not is it the best overall product in the world to use.
Then again, I wonder why Lola doesn't buy those commercially available bubble bags?
I noticed where she wanted to save as much money as possible, where she felt another method would be just as good but, cheaper. Now all of a sudden, people need to spend high dollar amounts on CalMag or else they might as well shit in a bucket.

I just don't understand how we have arrived at such a place in this conversation.

So sorry I seemed to have upset you Lola, didn't intend to.

E

EvilTwin

Hi Owl,
I could have let her comments slide, but I think it's doing a dis-service to other readers to leave such inaccurate statements unchallenged. I noticed her response was merely attack and sarcasm and not defending her claims.

So back on topic...I use Epsom Salts routinely with certain strains. White Widow is notorious for Mg deficiency and any hybrid that contains WW genetics. So those get 1/4 tsp/gallon maintenance.

If I'm negligent and allow a plant to develop a full blown deficiency, then I go with 1 tsp/gallon. I'm talking hydro here. I've never used it as a foliar spray.
ET

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Sure, go ahead and use cheap Epsom Salts on yer grow!

I was trying to help ya! Put those salts dirrectly into the soil like you have been told and you will have trouble.

I can only speak from personal experience, but since I started growing organically I've used Epsom salts as a soil amendment for every grow and never had "trouble." And I've never had a magnesium deficiency (i.e., need to use it in a foliar spray).

And I think you've got it backwards about price. You're not necessarily paying for quality with these additives. You're paying mostly for labor. If you had the time and resources, you could make your own rich organic soil and teas from a variety of waste and other household products quite inexpensively. They would work as well or better than what is commercially available. But most of us can't do that, so we pay for others to create the soil and additives for us. Doesn't necessarily make them better, just more convenient.

N

noyd666

lol that was fuckin funny, nothing like a pissing match out of no where,lol.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
On what? Concentration?

0.5ml/g per litre will give roughly 100ppm Mg, if I understand correctly. Many recommendations call for 5-30 times this amount, probably accounting for many problems cropping up down the road.

Last edited:

ISM2

On what? Concentration?

0.5ml/g per litre will give roughly 100ppm Mg, if I understand correctly. Many recommendations call for 5-30 times this amount, probably accounting for many problems cropping up down the road.

I'm looking at how much liquid epsom salt to add per gallon of water during veg and flower.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ why do you think you need it

second, I have never seen a liquid epsom salt product ???

just grow, and your bound to cross a Mg def.. then start playing around.. it's all about tweak this and that.. hands on experience makes so you know instead of just copying someone else, not knowing what it's doing or not.. true knowledge is gained, not passed on

if you want a lazy answer, throw in a pinch every couple waterings, then you'll have no clue what it's doing or not

ISM2

^ why do you think you need it

I'm using MG ferts which are lacking in magnesium sulfate. I thought I had a mg deficiency but think it may be just a nutrient deficiency and the ladies just need more. I've since upped the nutes at last watering. We'll see. I keep a journal.

I have experience in hydro but new to the soil method.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cal/Mag is not an essential ingredient.
Ca is an essential ingredient
&
Mg is an essential ingredient.

If you've got a bottle of Cal/Mag, however, I bet there are foliar instructions right on it.

Latest posts

Latest posts