What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how much weight loss from wet to dry?

Y

yamaha_1fan

I already have some dried and it seems like 75% is about right.

THC•20

Lmfao TGT I'm sorry that was truly a mis fortunate event but it was funny at the same time because I can't imagine how I'd react if I asked a friend to dry out my first harvest and came back and saw what was left after drying. It does suck how much buds shrink, that's why I always have such a hard time deciding when to harvest. I always want to give them more time to hope for more bud mass even though I know they'll still shrink to miniature colas and buds compared to what they used to be. Well I guess for those that don't pull 1-3 lb a grow(dry), that's why it's good to grow as much as possible/perpetually :joint:

JohnnyToke

Ive weighed wet, then dry, then again @ 45 days cured on my last 3 harvest and the number is 22-23% when finished.

my end formula is wet weight multiplied by 22.5%.... :smoweed:

regards,
JT

afghanica

Depends on how dry it is to start out. Usually it'll be 75%, but if you don't water for a few days before harvest, they will already be more dry, and the loss is more like 60%. Doing this also means drying time is reduced.

Ganico

Veteran
Are we talking about pre-trim, or after trim?

And I assume most people in this thread are talking about indicas or indica doms?

swampy_nz

just reweighed mine.started at 750gms from fresh cut and manicure and ended up with 184 gms.thats pretty much 75% bang on from 4 plants.

Sweet Inc.

Did a test...

Did a test...

Upon a harvest some years back I separated big nuggz from smaller ones, weighed them in batches and took notes. Not surprisingly, the less dense material lost some 5-10% more weight than the biggest buds.
All combined the weight left after a 7-day dry was 27,5% With a grand total of around 200g's. (Off 10 plants in soil, lol we all gotta learn, right?)

I´m sure that the last watering can have an impact of up to 10%.
Gonna unplug my ebb&flow pump for the last two days this time. Two weeks to chop :jump: 600 watts, 7 AK-48 and one Skunk Special, both from Nirvana seeds. (Cheapo seeds 'cos I blew all my money in better equipment)

Check my post count :D Had to start someplace :bashhead:

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Yep, sounds right. Standard air dry and cure is going to return approx. 25% of wet weight, and water cure will return about 15%.

petemoss

I was estimating 25% but actual dry weight turned out to be closer to 19% of wet weight (incl stems).

The Bling

now we should ask ourselves what is the ideal weight to air dry to before moving to glass jars to cure the most unadulterated taste comes from slowly cured buds what is the ideal buds would be 5% of the wet weight but would not crumble to dust because there is just enough moisture retained to keep the cell walls from loosing cohesion to each other so dry sticky stinky buds that hold together how much moisture can you allow in the glass jars before risking mold I have a friend who cures for a year but none of his buds ever turn to dust when you break them up but an oz fills a half gallon bag wtfffffff

Verdi99

Drying at 3.5 to 1 will make the stem just bearly break when you bend it.Drying at 4 to 1 will make the stem break like a dry twig which is great for long term storage but actually too dry for a good smoke.If it is being smoked at a reasonable rate 3.5 to 1 is best.It will keep for a couple of weeks like that without molding.

M

moses224

I use 90% and it it cums in 80-85% im pleasantly surprised ill take another couple bows anyday

Latest posts

Latest posts