What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maui Wowie

zamalito

Veteran
Thanks man. I'm just like you guys. I'm trying to learn and share what I have learned. I know sometimes I may come off as a pompous know-it-all but I try very very hard to admit when I'm wrong or when I have misconveyed a thought. One more thing I think that its more than just volcanic nutrient in the soil. The fact that the ecosystem in hawaii is so strong I'm sure theirs tons of fungi and bacteria in the soil that have symbiosis with plant roots that can't be recreated in any setup indoor or out without creating over thousands of years that can provide for some of the more rare and finnicky beneficial fungi and bacteria. This combined with such an insanely huge amount of uv which is proven to help in the process of thc production and a phenomenal equatorial environment make it a really hard quality of herb to duplicate anywhere else on earth. Another thing worth mentioning is unlike most every breeder dj short only uses true no less than one generation from region of origin landrace as breeder stock. I don't feel that any of the hawaiian varieties are wild enough or have been cultivated in hawaii long enough to be truly landrace. The strains he uses have very large genepools. Along with much knowledge and hard work this is how is capable to make something like blueberry from either a highland thai or a oaxacan/thai and an afghan which are all obviously very different from bleberry.

Last edited:

beancounter

Veteran
great info and discussion King, Doc and zam. It gave me a better understanding of Hawaiin genetics in general.

I'll be getting some Molokai Frost soon and would love to try some other hawaiin stuff.

Last edited:

Safari

You guys have now convinced me to give the Cherry Bomb II a try. It sounds like it has some great genetics.

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
CherryBombII is def a nice specimen if you like sweet smoke ;)
i got it as a cross with DF´s Venomberry and the cherry taste/smell is very present

Fj

TheFlyinHaWyn!

there are people who still claim that the Maui Waui/Wowee is still around, but if it is, i haven't seen anyone here calling it that....i'm sure some crazy hippie (joke guys, just exagerating) kept a clone of it going for all this time (since the 70's/early 80's), although i somtimes doubt that because it would take a lot for me not to try and grow a quicker/shorter plant to crop....which is what the MW was...a crop plant, the good shit was NEVER sold....:)...like i said, it could be out there...but i have significant grower-type contacts on Maui and haven't heard anyone say that they have the MW still....

as for pakalolo introduction to HI...i have heard that pake/chinese people who came to here during the early part of the century probably brought some type of smokeable hemp/type products with them, but that is just heresay....i'm not the most informed person on the bringing of ganja to the islands, but i can tell you that it is so ingrained in our everyday culture that most any adult will be able to notice weed upon smell/sight etc...other than that....i know that the hippies had a lot to do with bringing in some of the more potent strains...and the guys/vets coming back from fighting in Viet Nam...many of whom were local boys sent out to fight and smoking crip over there...so if you think about it...we were getting some unreal quick skunk strains out of the mexico/california areas, while the local veterans were bringing in the Vietnamese/Thailand sativas.....:D....these are the types of stories that i heard during my formative years....:)....all we had to do here was mix them together and grow the shit up in one of the most beautiful, and agriculturally abundant environment pretty much on planet earth ( i know i am biased, but that's just because i grew up here...:D )....that's pretty much what was done to get all of these wonderful strains we have here...and it seems that we're still doing it...so watch out in a couple of years when some of my friends finally find there ONE.....:)....so to speak....the environment here is special...but just as harsh as many of yours...wild pigs...mongeese....rippers on an island(s)....green harvest....it's probably harder growing here than many of your areas and still get away with a decent harvest....the added plus we have, is that many people's attitudes here are more pro pakalolo, which helps people to get away with minor smoking and such...main thing....just don't piss off the cops, as most of them come from here...they usually let you go if they know you, or you not a dick to them....i went to high school with a few of them....;)....lucky for me....IF you can get your plants in the right position, with the right amount of sunlight, rain, wind, stars, moon.....i think it will be extremely difficult to match the quality of the weed you will get from the same strain if done in a different environment/area/state/country/etc.....and then imagine that there are many little micro-environments.....from some of the dryest areas on earth, to one of the wettest, in just an hour's drive....Snow to Sun on the sandy beach....those are the differences that made the pakalolo here the best in the world.....those micro-enviroments.....the names of the famous strains give you an idea though....think Puna Budder, Kona Gold....two totally different environments on the same island just 2 hours apart....Puna is WET....Puna needed a plant that would grow well in that environmentd, thus the Punna Budder...kona is Dry/Arid, but can get wet sometimes...mostly dry though.....Kona Gold popped out of that environment......now that i think about it...maybe that's what happened when DJ Short tried to use the Hawaiian for breeding...something along those lines maybe....just an assumption on my part....ok, on the DJ.....i would like to hear about his use of Hawaii plants in his breeding program...i have read the same description everyone here has read...but where did he get his strains from?....i guess i just don't agree with his interpretation of the subject...and so, i'll just keep using the Frost to breed with....:)....although as king said...most Hawaiian may be slightly hermaphroditic....until the strain is actually stabilized by a breeder...then it'll be like any other mass produced single male/female clone strain that carries the same genetics all the time as the mother/father....selection is key at that point....we don't necessarily stabilize here...it doesn't work liek that, unless you were educated in genetics/agriculture and love to do that sort of thing....mostly, we grow here to smoke....and most people grow from seed, not clone, so we needed to find some way to keep our strains around.....needless to say, there are only a few places in the country (of which i speak from experience) where one has the abundant access to pakalolo resources in one's own area......and this is on ALL of the islands....there's ALWAYS weed around....even through these past lingering rains that punded everything for 5-6 weeks straight....destroying many's outdo crops...i can still find....in fact....after 911 when weed was in high demand on O'ahu....my friends on Hawaii Island said they were getting the best deals ever because people couldn't get their stuff shipped off island....just some of the stories i've picked up about pakalolo....zamalito good info bro, but i sent out many seeds to many individuals here online, form a plant called the Moloka'i Frost...which was given to me by a friend from there...whose family has spent the past few generations growing there....and i actually haven't had any complaints yet, even with the small hermie problem....there's all kinds of uncles out there who have the same strains in seed form that they've been growing for years and years....this was just one of them....aloha

G

Dont know much about Maui Wowie but at the moment Im growing out a BlueAfgan X Cherry Bomb II some maiu wowie in there somwhere:joint: . And man does it smell like a bowl of rotten cherries.

Last edited:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice info folks :yes:

this little HMW is ready for test fast-flowering :joint:

see what she has to say for herself... huh? :chin:

she is a skunk cross, not pure breed... :joint:
peace dL

Last edited:

zamalito

Veteran
Wow doc you're up to 666 posts! Definitely looks like the maui is pretty dominant. What's the stretch like on those.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah Zam, they seem to have sativa structure,,, and yes, the internodes do stretch some when force-flowered underglass :biglaugh:

under hps they'll get closer nodes,,, but still expect large plants (big garden)

peace dL :joint:

Last edited:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pre-flowering seemed to take forever with this strain...

here she is at 50days 12/12 (approx.)

pon ya learn ya grow...

G

Did you start those under 12/12 doc? looks about right if you did. I used to grow under 12/12 for awhile and it seems the first 30 days the plants veg anyhoo and then start showing sex and flowering after that so at 50 days they are really only about 3 weeks of flowering. i bet they really start taking off now. the first successful grow i had in 1980 was supposably maui. i was getting it off a friend of mine whose bro in law was mailing it to him. i was paying $220 an oz which was alot back then. i think i vegged for three months then flowered for three or four but the shit was the bomb, it was as good as the herb i was buying which was devastating. unfortunately the seeds that i got following the first batch were not quite as good. i wish i still had some of those original seeds.

HiKing808

its funny i just came from borders and was reading "The Cannabible" im not saying this is the be all end all final word, but from what ive read on others forms the authors works are very reliable, and his version of Maui Woowie is as follows:

their is no one particular strain called Maui Woowie, rather it refers to any really good weed that was grown OUT DOORS on the island of Maui. he goes on to contend that any strain which is grown in the islands for an extended amout of generations will eventually become fairly different from the original, taking on various traits given the particular enviroment (i.e. rich soil, rain, sun, etc)

i could be wrong if anyone has a copy of the book please feel free to correct me, oh by the way i also live in hawaii, and know certain people, and from what i understand the majority of the weed sold here in hawaii isn't even grown here!!! its flown in, that why we pay pretty high prices for the green (min 5000 per lb, this is a steal)

kindof a bummer seeing as how the author of the cannabible states that his favorite weed is almost anything that is grown here in the islands. i don't know just my 2cents

HiKing808

oh by the way for future reference to all posters, im not trying to sound like an ass, but when posting something long like post #46 its a good idea to break up the long paragraphs in to smaller 4-7 linners its a little easier to follow, thanks

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rudedude said:
Did you start those under 12/12 doc? looks about right if you did... i bet they really start taking off now. .

we hopes so...lol :biglaugh:

Yes. this HMW was placed into 12/12 under (blue) sunlight at 3 nodes... just to test gentics. the smell is nice.

Last edited:
G

MrGreengenes, did not keep clones, the story goes he found a nice cherry plant in mauie wowie seed back in the day. usin the MW line he took males and started workin the cherry bomb line out of the original MW.

he worked the line for many years, to what he described as a open pollinated line. MrG also takes credit for the cherry bomb name originatin with his line. definitly get some veg time with these plants. they have been reported to hermie, but Reef found some that dont. so its a search. but the line has been described as thai heavy?

i grew three males and 6 females, one female stood out, as a huge yielder and very cherry. i flowered from sprout 12/12 and believe that caused every female to hermie like a bitch. most of the females were scraggly airy shit, but the nice one and one two others were really good even loaded with seed.

didnt keep any cuts but made a butt load of seed, and a few crosses...

romulan sativa X cherry bomb
OHaze X cherry bomb
cherry bomb X OHaze

CBF

R

richardwilliams

mgreengenes cherry bomb

mgreengenes cherry bomb

I would like to point out that not all cherry bombs bomb out as hermie, the best growing method ive found is to veg/early flower outside and finish under lights in late fall. Well worth it as even scraggly buds you will eventually find yourself finding it amongst your favourite connosior smokles, very old school, second fave to my congo. cheers, richard.