What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maui Wowie

G

Wow this thread is still going, Cool.

greenzdude: I to date havn't smoked anything like it, what a treat. Take that as you will, there alot of the great strains that I havn't tried and probally never will. I am sure some one here could help you with back crossing back to the Sativa side of it. I wouldn't be the one though.

greenzdude

sad story eh

sad story eh

yer m8 im spewing i had 60 seeds of the cross and just planted them all outside and let them go thru to harvest wich was great but now i miss it , the howie clone i kept for about a year indoors putting cuttings outdoors during summer ...it was the only plant that kept growing thru , cause our daylight hours are so short 30 deg lat most other strains go strtaight to head when put out from under a light ,my m8 grows these beautful mango sativas , and has got 1 that just showed male flowers mabey i should cross and give seeds to a experienced breeder ..... who will promise not too infect it with dutch stock, if you want a real sativa , its gonna take 14 weeks plus i rekon,its a shame cuase we are still breeding out thes amazing strains today trying too make them more commercially freindly , and just stuffing those beautiful sativa genetics up, iv only been turned off dutch genetics this season , there great for indoors but thats it , i actually find myself this year finding it hard too find good aussie bush strains , ......thats never happened before , oh well cyas

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guest said:
Are there any breeders out there that offer this strain even if it is only partially from the original.

'Original Hawaiian Maui Wowie Skunk' [High Quality Seeds]

Always wanted to do some cheech-n-chong weed... so this lady (always think positive) will be our houseplant for 2006 :dance:
just hope she doesn't get too big for her shoes...lol :wink:

peace doc(dizzle)leaf

"if we settle for nothing now, we'll settle for nothing later..."

Last edited:
G

Yep....I also have some Hawaiian Maui Wowie seeds ready for growing'....hey doc :wink:

Hopefully it'll be a quality high. I dont expect immense trichome production....but I do expect a nice heady buzz.

beancounter

Veteran
Here's a HQS Original MW Skunk that was taken @ 58 days 12-12..

6103MW_4_before_chop_Feb_24_58_days_.jpg

6103MW_4_cola_2.jpg

6103MW_4_budz_1.jpg

6103MW_after_dry_2-med.jpg

6103MW_after_dry_6.jpg

The plant was mostly indica (80% according to HQS), but it has the ability to keep up to sativa in height.. Nice resinous buds, nice frosting. The plant smells very fruity in flower, with jus a hint of skunk.. When you trim a MW your house will be filled with a strong fruity aroma.. After a dry it's pretty spicey with some fruit, but gets better with curing, returning to the more fruitier smell. The high was good, but not overwelming. A good balance, not couchlock, a nice all day weed without the intense edgyness of a sativa.

One of my most vigorous strains.. I had 3 guys and 2 girls outa 5 seeds germed. All plants were pretty stable IMHO, and the 2 females were quite obviously the same phenos.. I kept 2 males seperate thru flower, and both showed great trichome production for a male. Pretty good yeild, could get better with more pratice.

It's not highend headstash, but certainly better than average commercial. Worth every penny. HQS put some work into it, as it's much more stable than other seeds in this price range.

I kept the better girl as a mum for now, but she's likely to be replaced. I wouldn't start these seeds inside again, but I'll definately use them for outdoors.. These could give you some monster plants that finish along with you regular indicas. It's got nice density, and bag appeal.

It's definately nothing like the 'original', but well worth the money/time.

Last edited:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Easy beancounter :yes: :dance: :joint:
looking good man,,, just read the same thing today, 80% indica, guess this is why she finishes so early,,,,
if ours look anything like your ladies we'll be more than merrier :D
good job, nice flowers :joint:
peace dL

Wrecked

after smoking maui wowie before i loved it.. I think i may have to check out hqs version as i was sceptical before but yours turned out nice... Nice job beancounter... PeAcE

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Spice (Mr Nice) is Hawaiian indica x Hawaiian sativa, a nice spicy smoke with an old-skool vibe :joint: this strain also makes good for crossing... such as SpicyCheese

beancounter

Veteran
thanks Doc and wrecked.. It did turn into a very beautiful plant, and I don't think many people would ever be disapointed..

Doc, I'm sure your ladies will turn out just as nice. It realy is a pretty stable plant, and very easy to grow. She took more than average nutes, no one should have any problems getting the most outa her.

And Doc, that HI x HS looks very nice, I can see the potential.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
beancounter said:
thanks Doc and wrecked..
And Doc, that HI x HS looks very nice, I can see the potential.

Hi beancounter :wave:
luv the 1st and 3rd photo. a very nice spread... nice tight frosty flowers :yes:
peace dL

*my photo above Spice X BigBuddha Cheese.

EpheDrone25

Original Maui Strain from the 80's

Original Maui Strain from the 80's

Howdy !!! Im growing two Pure Hawaii strains:
1.Old Maui from the 80's :yoinks:
2.Molokai Frost Pure

and crosses:

3.Molokai FrostXShrom
4.Molokai FrostXSpindle
5.Molokai FrostXSourDiesel clone

cant wait for them to show sex already!!! :chin:

peace Eph25

zamalito

Veteran
Herb wasn't brought to hawaii until the late 50s. As far as finding a true pure hawaiian indica or acapulco gold try drgreenthumb.com he does a lot of hard work getting the correct types. I thought greengenes was from kentucky? I heard his cherry bomb strain was from hawaii but was called the kentucky cherry bomb. Either way acclimatization to a new region can change the pheno/chemotype quite a bit. There are hawaiian sativas and indicas. Unfortunately many of the giant hawaiian sativas like hawaiian elephant are no more. But the real acapulco gold is available from dr.greenthumb. However to get the really good phenos to display its best grown outdoors.

zamalito

Veteran
Greenthumb doesn't list the heritage strain hawaiian indica in his stock anymore but I'm sure he still has it. Send him an email drgreenthumb@drgreenthumb.com

Treatingyourself.com actually carried pure Mr. greengenes cherrybomb bred by Mr.Greengenes himself for like $40 but they closed about 3 weeks ago before I could get a sample

Last edited:

zamalito

Veteran
Another thing is that according to Dj short hawaiian strains never grow to be as good anywhere else as they do in hawaii. He did some extensive work with hawaiian seeds and didn't find them to be of much use for his breeding lines. If you were actually in hawaii and were growing/breeding indoors and outdoors you might be able to gradually milk more and more of the traits that only show up when grown in a hawaiian outdoor environment finally getting those phenos to show up consistently in an indoor setup. It would be much hard work however.

KingRalph

i find it hard to believe herb was brought to the hawaiian islands only in the 50's and not by tribes or birds before that, but i can't be sure...

as far as the rumors regarding hawaiian strains not being the same when grown elsewhere or them not being useful for breeding... well be careful of your interpretations of such tricky info...

granted they won't be exactly the same, when are genetics ever... but yes, replacing volcanic soil is very tough to do, but a nice organic mix will definitely bring the traits and aromas hidden in the herb to the surface, also the lighting is important, the strains will greatly benefit from mixed spectrum light throughout their life...

as far as for breeding... many of the sativa strains from the islands have a smidge of hermaphroditism in their genes, like many other landrace sativas, and that is an issue, but to say worthless for breeding, wow, the traits of the stellar high, incredibly unique aromas and such are unparalleled and fantastic to combine with other strains... so... don't doubt the pakalolo and you won't be disappointed :)

used for breeding turned to this...

much of the cherry and other aromas carried through fantastically. i wish it was maui wowie, but it was great nonetheless :)

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
zamalito said:
Another thing is that according to Dj short hawaiian strains never grow to be as good anywhere else as they do in hawaii. He did some extensive work with hawaiian seeds and didn't find them to be of much use for his breeding lines... It would be much hard work however.

These are phenotypical difference which hold relevance over genotype!

KingRalf, I agree :yes: we is pig-sick of the ppls claiming the possible, impossible... (mostly B/S that serves personal interest)...

The hydromorphology of a soil influences genotype (over successive genearation) in cannabis. Yet since cannabis is NOT a native species to the hawaiian isles, it seems hard to image that cannabis in this region (in such a short time frame) is now so geographically specific to the islands that it cannot be grown elsewhere :chin:

note* the issue of geographical inhabitance and the geneaology of hawaiian strains is however very interesting stuff :yes:

shanti baba managed to cross x2 hawaiian lines (Spice), no problems :chin:

Don't know if the dutch versions above is, Canabis indica 'hawaiian' or Cannabis sativa 'hawaiian' [positronics derived] but they are growable and breedable, for sure, t'is ganja

peace dLeaf

"there are many ways to skin a rabbit..."

Last edited:

zamalito

Veteran
Hey man, I love the federation hawaiian sativa and have been trying to get my hands on the greengenes cherry bomb for 5 years. I may have interpreted djs informations wrong and would be very interested to hear what you think he may have meant. But Dj short did say that he found hawaiian strains not of much use for HIS breeding projects. Its very possible he wasn't working with the best genetics from these islands. However I do agree with him about not being able to fully recreate the quality that this environment can produce. I personally feel that the phenotypic expression enjoyed by hawaiian growers can be applied to all strains not just those traditionally grown in hawaii. If you bought some dutch seed an grew it perfectly in hawaii it would probably be better than if you grew it anywhere else. I don't believe how long cannabis has been growing there affects this. The cool thing about this is by having an environment that allows you to display a few phenos that nowhere else can you can apply it to a breeding project for any strain. I also should've clarified when I talked about how acclimatization can change phenotype I was referring to the greengenes cherrbomb being grown and bred via open pollination (greengenes says he open pollinates) in kentucky for so long one might consider it more of a kentucky strain than a hawaiian

Last edited:

zamalito

Veteran
Also its possible that dj worked with the hawaiian strains in the early 80s and the last 20 years have given them more time to fix those phenos into place. About the spread of cannabis the hawaiian islands are very isolated (considered the most isolated on earth) and it would be very dificult for birds to spread cannabis seed such a great distance. RC Clarke dates the spread of cannabis to hawaii to the 50s. This is something I know nothing about and was quite suprised to read this also. I'm just repeating his number I have no idea why he says this. I'm very suprised hemp seed was not brought at least 200 years before this as the british capt. Cook established trade with hawaiians in the late 1700s. I did read somewhere that hippie/counterculture types moved to south maui in very large numbers to get back to nature and camp on the beaches in the late 50s and 60s and brought drug type cannabis genes with them. Through the sheer number of these people I would not be suprised at all that many of the hawaiian strains are descended from what they brought and genes brought later. Because of large scale cannabis growing, hard drug use, rampant outbreaks of disease, and improper waste disposal authorities shut down these camps. This still does not answer the question of why cannabis was not brought here until relatively recently. Also I apologize if i gave anyone the impression that hawaiian genes are second rate. I also want to state I have very little experience with hawaiian grown bud and its limited to only one visit to hawaii where I smoked some probably mass produced hana grown white widow that was still far better than any white widow I've ever smoked. This does however fit with what dj short said.

King ralph I'm very glad to hear you use daylight halides. I've never used one simply because 80,000 lumens in a 1000 watt light doesn't fit with any indoor setup I've had as I never had a circuit that would provide for enough of these to meet my needs. But its a good thing to hear of growers sacrificing that much of their yield for quality and keep up the good work!!!

Last edited: