What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leaf Surface Temps

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
a sensor should be under the hps at plant tip level. if you don't have a sensor that can take 80f then its probably not fit for purpose. whats the sense in having a temp probe reading the temp where it isn't relative to what the plants are growing under?
Duh! I mean not under the direct path of the light. Have another! Which under an 800 sqft is quite possible. If a probe is directly under a light, it could be misreading... Physics!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
a sensor should be under the hps at plant tip level. if you don't have a sensor that can take 80f then its probably not fit for purpose. whats the sense in having a temp probe reading the temp where it isn't relative to what the plants are growing under?

if you had a thermal camera that would be an interesting experiment.
i think it might be multifunctional, probably stops the seeds drying out prematurely too.

yeah agreed but temp is temp no matter what the source is.. just curious, have you tried different temps and humidity with the same clones and had them tested? I would've thought yield and quality would come hand in hand?

id personally work with the differential and try to tweak it so that its coming on and off a few degrees either side of my desired temp.
i guess it could be that the ac is slightly undersized or something. i think most split acs are not really designed for grow rooms so you kind of have to work with them.
... little late to the party no? The OP has a pretty good ieda what is going on. He is simply rattling our chain. Get a new controller. A 20 deg swing is not kosher. I don't care how you slice it!

I don't believe it's much of a concern as to what I thought it might be. My knowledge on leaf surface temps was zero. After posting this and doing research else where, I feel comfortable with them. Large temp swings are worse in regards to air temp. It's winter here so it's easier to cool down my room. The a/c cycles more now than running constantly in the summer. My leaf temps will probably stay more consistent in the summer.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
... little late to the party no? The OP has a pretty good ieda what is going on. He is simply rattling our chain. Get a new controller. A 20 deg swing is not kosher. I don't care how you slice it!

haha well sorry boss, ill remember to consult with you before posting on a thread ever again..
tent growers swinging their dicks again. i need to get a new controller when you use a shitty inkbird lol. ill chuck my $600 controller away then..

yeah agreed but temp is temp no matter what the source is.. just curious, have you tried different temps and humidity with the same clones and had them tested? I would've thought yield and quality would come hand in hand?

id personally work with the differential and try to tweak it so that its coming on and off a few degrees either side of my desired temp.
i guess it could be that the ac is slightly undersized or something. i think most split acs are not really designed for grow rooms so you kind of have to work with them.
Thanks for the reply, I've been tweaking today and I think I'm going to keep it where it's at. I don't think the a/c is undersized because it would running non stop. In the summer in never shuts off when the lights are on. The infrared thermometer is a great tool and I should of been using it a lot longer.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Thanks for the reply, I've been tweaking today and I think I'm going to keep it where it's at. I don't think the a/c is undersized because it would running non stop. In the summer in never shuts off when the lights are on. The infrared thermometer is a great tool and I should of been using it a lot longer.

no worries man you're welcome, your right if it was undersized it would keep running. with mine the setting temp on the ac doesn't reflect the room temp so i did the same and just kept changing it until it did. i was looking at the Mitsubishi split where the indoor unit scans the room with a laser.. that looks like a much better unit.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
With HID lighting, the issue is infra absorption being different on the sensor and leaf. A laser is most efficient, no?
agreed, it depends what sensor you have. its never gonna be as precise if you are using a grow room controller sensor (depending on brand) but if you use a controller to keeps temps in check you have to rely on the readings from that while your not there. I use a sentinel chhc4i, so I guess the best option would be to use a laser to get an accurate reading and then adjust the controller accordingly since the sensor for the controller most likely isn't quite as accurate.

no worries man you're welcome, your right if it was undersized it would keep running. with mine the setting temp on the ac doesn't reflect the room temp so i did the same and just kept changing it until it did. i was looking at the Mitsubishi split where the indoor unit scans the room with a laser.. that looks like a much better unit.
The mitsubishi splits are awesome!!! Mini splits are getting better and better. I built a new room with a central a/c and that's what I've been using. The most efficient central a/c is made by Lennox and I think it's a 26 seer rating. After building the room out I had a buddy tell me about the splits. I didn't even know Mitsubishi made splits but he hooked a 5 ton one up in one of his family members barn. He told me the thing was only drawing like 7 amps. The seer rating is something ridiculous like 31 I believe. Pricey though but if it's that efficient, holy smokes, definitely worth it.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
yeah the technology is getting better and better. mine (Hitachi) runs 24/7 and is very cheap to run. barely noticeable against lights, heaters etc. I'm gonna switch to a new Mitsubishi this summer.. they pay for themselves if you run sealed with co2. id never go back to intakes and out takes controlling temps etc.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
haha well sorry boss, ill remember to consult with you before posting on a thread ever again..
tent growers swinging their dicks again. i need to get a new controller when you use a shitty inkbird lol. ill chuck my $600 controller away then..
Say what you want of us. Current tent temps 75 deg 60 RH. Leaf temps 76 under light, 75 deg on the fringe. I have never heard of a 20 deg swing. It is not normal IMHO because I have never seen it, nor hear of it, until this. That being said, OP wasn't aware something was funky until he got his lazer thermometer. I had my lazer before I started growing. I used it to troubleshoot AC system on truck.

My tent is dialed in for normal running. I haven't used my lazer in months because I KNOW what my space is doing. Today was flush day. The de-hewey kept coming on and off (1st couple of hours) until I increased the exhaust. Solved that problem. Everything is back to normal. In the next day or so I'll have to remember to slow it down again.

St. Phatty

Say what you want of us. Current tent temps 75 deg 60 RH. Leaf temps 76 under light, 75 deg on the fringe. I have never heard of a 20 deg swing. It is not normal IMHO because I have never seen it, nor hear of it, until this. That being said, OP wasn't aware something was funky until he got his lazer thermometer. I had my lazer before I started growing.

You guys have an instrument that reads temps just by looking (sort of ) ?

Would love to see a pic.

and to know how hot Cannabis leaves get, in the summer, in the sun, when air temps in the shade are at 100 F.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training

Attachments

• etekcity-1022-laser-thermo.JPG
    etekcity-1022-laser-thermo.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 24

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Say what you want of us. Current tent temps 75 deg 60 RH. Leaf temps 76 under light, 75 deg on the fringe. I have never heard of a 20 deg swing. It is not normal IMHO because I have never seen it, nor hear of it, until this. That being said, OP wasn't aware something was funky until he got his lazer thermometer. I had my lazer before I started growing. I used it to troubleshoot AC system on truck.

My tent is dialed in for normal running. I haven't used my lazer in months because I KNOW what my space is doing. Today was flush day. The de-hewey kept coming on and off (1st couple of hours) until I increased the exhaust. Solved that problem. Everything is back to normal. In the next day or so I'll have to remember to slow it down again.
yeah I agree the temp swing is crazy. but it appears to be the plants themselves, and not the ambient room temp (because his probe for ac is at plant level), which is why I find this thread interesting.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
yeah I agree the temp swing is crazy. but it appears to be the plants themselves, and not the ambient room temp (because his probe for ac is at plant level), which is why I find this thread interesting.
I agree with you :) You can only lead a horse to water...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Haha right, the one I got was like $25 at Home Depot. Glad I went with that one because it works great and I almost pulled the trigger on the Milwaukee one.
Awesome :) I remember them being over $50 the first time I looked at them. I guess it was a while ago. LOL

As for my own leaf temps, the data won't help. I'm actually working on shutting off my HPS and moving to LED's in boxes for a while. I don't have environmental control to deal with the humidity here, so I'm moving to 'decent' quality for a while. Meh... you do what you have to.

Definitely interested in doing this when I'm back up and running the way I like. :)