What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains?

G

It has degraded just far enough and just in the right way (through fermentation) that you, a human being with your particular genetic/chemical makeup, can most enjoy/feel its effects.

That does not mean that it is at "peak performance" of its active compounds. It has degraded in that regard.

But it is at "peak performance" of what you, as a human, can recognize/feel.

If you are a medical patient that requires the active compounds in the cannabis for your ailments, you would not want to cure your buds but consume them as soon as possible at the lowest point of degradation of the active compounds (unless of course the active compounds you need for your ailment are the ones that form during the "degrading" process).

But if you are recreational and want to get high, it is not only the "nasty terpenes evaporating, leaving the good ones". It is the active compounds degrading (and I believe forming new/different ones) to the point where they get you "the highest".

Not really scientific, but an explanation nonetheless?

Agreed ,just wonder if the " nasty evaporated terpenes " are also active compounds ...

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
All the Sat that I grow improve after a long cure, at least 4-5 months ... However I can confirm that the skunk-afghani is much more good and powerful after several months in a jar ....

PDX Dopesmoker

And what is your reason to believe that curing of buds doesn't *actually* involve fermentation (aerobic or not) or a similar process where substances are broken down by bacteria or yeast?
I'm asking because I've been under the impression that it is commonly accepted that curing of buds involves breakdown by microorganisms. That's why curing doesn't happen if you dry your buds too much, and is accelerated when the buds are more moist. And it is the fastest in methods like cobbing (or tricks like packing moist buds for 2 days) where the high water content and anaerobic conditions accelerate the processes.

You reject the curing as a myth, but you talk only about smells and terpenes. Do you think that these are the only changes that happen during the time of "curing"? No changes in cannabinoids (and other possibly active substances)? I'm thinking about simple processes like oxidation and decarboxilation and how these might happen at different rate for each cannabinoid and so the cannabinoids (and their acids and oxides) ratios change with time, possibly progressing to a "better" ratio in some strains, but not in others?

If this is a myth (and I don't argue that some producers use "curing" as advantage to sell old shit), I'd really like to know the reason why some sativas when grown in my outdoor environment have a very heavy effect after harvest, but have a nice clear effect after a year, when the same clones grown indoors have the great nice clear effect right after harvest... Am I waiting a whole year for some additional monoterpenes to evaporate and go where in the jar? And what do I have to do to avoid the need to wait a whole year, other than finding another cultivar?
Just curious, because I've been pondering a lot lately on why strains in the jars "cure" differently, some getting stronger, some weaker, some best at 3 months, others at more than a year. Several years ago, I myself wouldn't believe there is cannabis that needs a year and more of curing to bring its best, but I had such a clone (of Ace's Panama) that was best at 2 years of staying in the jars.

Yeah I rejected any idea of replying to the post you replied to because I thought it was too ignorant to go near. Don't wanna be dragged down to that level, could be infectious.

Ready4

Veteran
The irony that the only possible correctly cured weed in a dispensary is usually bud that is not that popular lol And if was dried too fast or too wet originally, curing for longer time will not help as it is ruined.

That being said .... I smoked some of my Casey Jones that has been sitting around a few extra weeks, comparing it to some I smoked not long after drying. Wow. Zero question that a few weeks really had its positive effect. Now that I have thought about that, I will twist one up for later : > )

Current Study

Current Study

Great thread. Man they just legalized medical here where I live. Just had a harvest about a month ago. I am in agreement the longer you can abstain from smoking it all up and focus on giving it that long cure the payoff is 10 fold. I am doing mason jars with humidity packs. I staggered the chops and the drying times before jarring them. I feel the longer you let them dry (but not over doing it) the better. Give them ample time to sweat out all the sugars, starches and excessive nutrients. It not only improves the flavor and smoothness the potency is elevated as well. Imo... As weeks pass, these traits are present for sure.

I just flipped on some old school White Widow F1 cut. I can't wait to see how that shakes out. If you have grown it or smoked it please comment on your experience. I basically grew up in the 80's Hair Metal days and some strains that were floating around then that I remember were Northern Lights, G13 Skunk #1. I always took deep sniffs in the baggie and oh man that kick ass pine skunky terpene profile. Classic! I haven't tried any of the newer stuff out that's creating a lot of buzz like the GSC, Blue Dream to name a couple. Supposedly, they hang with the killer strains from back in the day. Really, all I want to do is find that one baby that just keeps on giving. The perfect smoke and just create a mother and probably do it with a few strains and Indica, Hybrid and Sativa. Anyway the search is on. I think I am going to have a keeper on the White Widow here is a shot of one of them. I have two. I took clones so I have a choice on which pheno wins out. Anyways, that's my contribution!

LaterZ

insomniac_AU

I just flipped on some old school White Widow F1 cut. I can't wait to see how that shakes out. If you have grown it or smoked it please comment on your experience. I basically grew up in the 80's Hair Metal days and some strains that were floating around then that I remember were Northern Lights, G13 Skunk #1. I always took deep sniffs in the baggie and oh man that kick ass pine skunky terpene profile. Classic! I haven't tried any of the newer stuff out that's creating a lot of buzz like the GSC, Blue Dream to name a couple. Supposedly, they hang with the killer strains from back in the day. Really, all I want to do is find that one baby that just keeps on giving. The perfect smoke and just create a mother and probably do it with a few strains and Indica, Hybrid and Sativa. Anyway the search is on. I think I am going to have a keeper on the White Widow here is a shot of one of them. I have two. I took clones so I have a choice on which pheno wins out. Anyways, that's my contribution!

LaterZ

View Image
Gday ToV :tiphat:
WW used to be one of my staples. I had a cut going for years which was lost during one of my house moves. I loved it, it had a moreish taste that just made we want to smoke it. I like the sort of terpene profiles you do by the sounds of it and I now grow Jean Guy from the House of the Great Gardener. I just keep going back to it. It has an amazing taste and keeps working over time. Good luck with your grow. :plant grow:

I now grow Jean Guy from the House of the Great Gardener. I just keep going back to it. It has an amazing taste and keeps working over time.

Yo Insomniac,

I was checking that strain Jean Guy out from HOTGG. Pretty pricey. Staying with the WW line I see. I wonder what the Sativa cross is.. What's the yield and harvest times like? Frosty buds? Also, how has your experience been dealing with HOTGG? Reliable? Quality? Etc....

I've been getting my beanz from growshopalien a seed bank out of Holland. Always have done me right. Excellent variety of vendors! I have been thinking about trying another bank that's why I ask..

Peace

insomniac_AU

Yo Insomniac,

I was checking that strain Jean Guy out from HOTGG. Pretty pricey. Staying with the WW line I see. I wonder what the Sativa cross is.. What's the yield and harvest times like? Frosty buds? Also, how has your experience been dealing with HOTGG? Reliable? Quality? Etc....

I've been getting my beanz from growshopalien a seed bank out of Holland. Always have done me right. Excellent variety of vendors! I have been thinking about trying another bank that's why I ask..

Peace
Hey ToV
I can't remember how much I paid TBH. I think I bought them from Herbies so have never dealt with them directly. Yeah I like a bit of WW in there. Not sure what the Sativa component is but it is definitely more Sativa than WW. 9-11 week flower, yield is pretty good. It's about 25% THC so it has power as well as taste. Worth the money IMO. Maybe just buy 3 seeds and try it?

Latest posts

Latest posts