What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Double Kindness bho recovery unit

I am a big fan of pudding that looks and weighs like that; strong work!!!

If you don't mind divulging part of your process, do you let the material soak in butane for any amount of time, or do you simply flood and drain with no soak? My other question is in regards to how many butane flood cycles you used to produce such amazing yield, of quality looking oil?

Duckmang

I never soak as my unit has a pass through design. I pass liquid butane through the top and collect vapor from the bottom. It's pretty much a continuous process though I tweak the valves during depending on the current conditions. I try to cycle it such that its the equivalent of 3-4 cans worth of butane passed through 3-4 times.

The system had been upgraded with a new pump, same brand and type (dry not one that needs a lubricant). Run time has decreased from 3 hours to 1 hour and 20 minutes, yay for twin pistons.

I will begin a new thread on the new set up (minor other modifications, but not much) as soon as I figure out how to get my private info off my new smart devices as to not embed that into the images.

Now I need to go molest 2 more plants for seeds, then maybe I will have enough plant matter to do the 2nd run on the new system. With picts and more detail.

Then off to soak some seeds to make home made hemp milk, then hemp-fu (tofu made from hemp seeds)- which I will also start threads on in the appropriate forum... and I have been busy with many new recipes and other stuff to share. Just b/c I didn't come to the forums doesn't mean I haven't been busy improving upon everything, so much to share.

Much love-
DK

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
While DK is sharing the pictures of the process, I actually built the unit. I don't have a running total of what it took to build it. Most of the pieces were made by hand. Some of which was very tedious. The most expensive part would be the recovery pump which I scored for free thanks to a good friend. The unit is VERY stout and weighs an estimated 70LBS.

I think that some people are missing the point on of the price of butane. With a vent to atmosphere extractor, you put your few cans through it and your wad is spent. This setup holds about 3.5 cans in its tank. When I run that through once it's about even with a vent to atmosphere setup. However as I cycle the system I can put that 3.5 cans through the material as many times as I choose. Say I cycle it 3 times then that is the equivalant of blowing 10.5 cans into the atmosphere. What's the point? You may ask... well here we put high grade material, often whole plants minus the fan leaves and stems, into the extractor and are quite determined to get as much return of oil as possible. That is where the vapor recovery system really shines.

Another point worth mentioning is the fact that the recovery system pulls a vacuum on the extractor as it reclaims the butane vapor. That vacuum allows the butane to boil out of the oil easier and requires less of a purge on the finished oil. The vacuum also allows the butane to boil into vapor at a lower temperature and considering how cold the unit gets during the process, that is a plus. I noted that GW is incorporating a heater into his setup, I simply use a heat gun to knock the frost off and assist the last bit of liquid to boil off.

The cycle time starts at about an hour for one cycle. With 2 or 3 cycles it can go over two hours. A lot of the time spent is pulling the vacuum on extractor after the cycle. Cycle times can be shortened considerably if you dont spend as much time pulling the vacuum. The flip side is that there will be a lot more purging necessary and more loss of butane in the oil.

Like I alluded to before, we don't run fan leaves and stems. Our focus is on making the best oils around and the best oils aren't made from the trash. An average QP will fill our extraction tube approximately 80-85% and can yield from 10G to almost 30G depending on the quality of material being extracted.

To answer someone's previous question, butane boils at 31 degrees F at atmospheric pressure.

Very sweet setup way to go, I love you guys, GW to, I love the science behind it. I used to weld sanitary piping for the dairy and Drug industry, it is very tedious as mentioned.

Bravo!!

Don't forget to check your Vac pump oil from time to time.

Peace

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Thanks for the Pro Tip!!!!
Along with the sculpting tools you recommended in GW's thread detailing how to build an Active Recovery Butane Extraction System, you have given me a few more tools in my scraping arsenal...

Just a quick FYI

If you use carbon steel to scrape stainless steel, you will actually impregnate your nice stainless steel surface with the carbon steel, big no no, Don't believe me, scratch your surface with your exacto knife and then wash it in a saline solution and you will get rust in your oil.

Do not scrape stainless with a dissimilar metal.

Peace

We use razor blades that have been cleaned of manufacturing residue for scraping the bho. Sativa dragon-as I said many many times, my system doesn't use lubricants.... =no need to re crystallize (aka winterize/dewax/make shatter). No mystery oil/residues. Less time and resources, also by cycling the butane through the plant matter and recondensing 5 times, gets all the tricomes and in particular the hard to remove amver tricomes off the plant matter... look under a macroscope when doing only 1 pass, then you will understand some of the methods to my madness.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
Did you just claim no need to dewax because you're not using canned tane? You realize it's plant waxes right?

militia420

Where's the new thread for this if there is one? Also are there any other threads you used to help you make this? I can't afford buying kits as I'm broke but I think I could slowly put something together. I have a few pounds worth of plant that I just can't deal with trimming from arthritis and this would store nicely in a freezer.

Any one at all that has some related links on building these sorts of things or the obvious higher quality one in this thread please respond. I desperately need to deal with some hang dried plants.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Where's the new thread for this if there is one? Also are there any other threads you used to help you make this? I can't afford buying kits as I'm broke but I think I could slowly put something together. I have a few pounds worth of plant that I just can't deal with trimming from arthritis and this would store nicely in a freezer.

Any one at all that has some related links on building these sorts of things or the obvious higher quality one in this thread please respond. I desperately need to deal with some hang dried plants.

You might try a DIY Mk III Terpenator??
https://web.archive.org/web/20160303074803/https://skunkpharmresearch.com/mk-iii-terpenator/

militia420

Dude you're my hero! I have too much on my plate to be worried about designing from scratch. I'll just have to save the cash for this. I'm in Hawaii and my last grow was the biggest ever, not intentionally, but things went great. I have like 8lbs but it was way too much for me to trim and all on my own. I'm gonna put one of these together for future grows so I can have several plants each yielding over a pound and not have a melt down when harvest time comes and I realize I can't trim it all. Besides, I love BHO. First time I ever coated some buds to fly to cancun with (mexican weed was shit down there), I actually tripped balls. My suitcase had been picked up by some lush sorority girl so I had the clothes on my back and the sack of drugs I smuggled in around my junk. A 6 pack of beer in the lobby of the hotel cost like $15. Ridiculous. So I bought a single one, drained it, and made a small beer pipe to sit my BHO infused weed on. I've never freeze framed before or after as hard as I did that night. And to think I've got the directions for how to scale up making that stuff.

Seriously, I know this is a late thank you but I am fing excited to have these plans!!! Thank so much man!

Latest posts

Latest posts