What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Colombian

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks everyone for the fantastic reply’s, I would like to say that the photos I’m posting here are old. This is stuff I grew out years ago down here. Almost all my seed stock was lost when I moved back to the US in 07. Since I moved back to Colombia (my wife wants to live here so I go along with her) in 2011 I have not been able to flower anything due to living in the city. Well and friction from the wife and other factors have kept me from being able to flower anything (I do have plants growing here and there in the house). Anyway I’ve been searching for a farm situation to grow but still nothing solid. So I’ve been buying and one guy I buy from I’ve known him for 11 years and he is very reliable. In the past (03-05) he would get real deal SMG and punto rojo (along with some killer unknown strains too). However things have changed now and he only deals in Crippy saying no one buys the original strains any more even if the bud is potent. Seed don’t sell he says and there really a lot of Crippy about. I have received other samples here and there but mostly I buy from the old guy and another young guy I met in 11. The young guy gets only Crippy as well but his seems to be greener but no better in potency. About names, here in Colombia just like anywhere else in the world weed names are sketchy at best. I really try to find out where it was grown before trusting a name here. Corinto Monster, Cauche, Punto Rojo and Santa Marta Gold are like sales names and really have little meaning as a strain. It’s like Crippy, there’s hundreds of types of Crippy but it’s all the same quality. Now some is better than others but all Crippy is seedless North American type hybrid bud.
Now really it is very difficult for me to find anything other than Crippy. Two years ago I did get a few batches of what was said to be “Cauche” or Colombian black. Some of it was very strong but with a sleepy narcotic effect. Looked really bad and fully seeded but with an almost pleasant smell and taste. I did keep seeds of that black but only from the most potent batches. Most batches of that were very low potency and hardly worth making oil with. I have no idea how the plants would grow from the Cauche but I bet it would be 100% better than the sample the seed came from. When I first returned to Bogota in 2011 I asked my mother in law to help me score since I had nothing and no contacts. And she got me a pound or more of what I call “red bud”, really dark reddish brown fully seeded Colombian goodness. Really special effect from that and of course I kept the seed from it. It was very cheap too and so easy to get. But then this lunatic I’m married to decided she didn’t want her mother involved in “Norco trafficking” and forbad her from ever getting me more or telling me where to get it. Its things like that that makes me love her more..
Anyway this last year I was able to get some really fine what I call gold but it was sold as Crippy. It was not Crippy, the smell the taste and even the look said it was different. Out of 20gr I got six nice seed from it that I will grow ASAP. The effect this “gold” gave me was exactly what I look for in the Cannabis. Richly euphoric but not sleepy, motivating in a mentally rewarding fashion. Long lasting (2/2.5hrs) and a refreshing satisfying finish. The perfect all around weed, just like I had back in 77.
I’m going to find my seed pics and post them for you but as I recall the SMG seeds I had were small and brown to black with no tiger stripping at all.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I’m going to find my seed pics and post them for you but as I recall the SMG seeds I had were small and brown to black with no tiger stripping at all.

Cool. Thanks Red Rider. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. The Colombian Gold x Cinderella 99 are tiny. I have only found seeds this small one other time in my life. The Punto Rojo seeds are huge, and a light tan color. I'll take some pictures also.

Great thread.

ThaiBliss

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seeds

Seeds

Cool. Thanks Red Rider. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. The Colombian Gold x Cinderella 99 are tiny. I have only found seeds this small one other time in my life. The Punto Rojo seeds are huge, and a light tan color. I'll take some pictures also.

Here’s a few seeds I got a couple years ago but have yet to grow. The rojo seed looks much different than the Gold/brown weed. I really don’t think there’s any Indicia in them but who knows. What I do know is the bud the seeds came from and its top shelf-Colombian grown something. The gold in the bowl tastes and acts just like the weed from my youth and that’s what I’m after. Legion has it that Afghani Indicia was introduced to Santa Marta in the 70s. I couldn’t tell, the plants I grew from Santa Marta looked nothing like the imported Indicia I grew.
attachment.php

"Lumbo" Seed 3013

attachment.php

Punto Rojo Seed 2013

attachment.php

Golden Lumbo

Last edited:

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This was a really nice plant that almost got thrown away. (Coastal Green)

Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Here is what I have:

picture.php

The Colombian x C99 is on the lower left, and the Punto Rojo is upper right. I should have taken them with a penny for size comparison. Those CG x C99 are tiny.

Just because seeds are big does not make them Indica. The biggest seeds I have seen were from Thai Stick and look very much like the Punto Rojo I have. I have also acquired some Laos seeds that look very similar to the Thai and PR.

Thanks,

ThaiBliss

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow ColombianXC99, that just sounds right. But yes those Rojo seeds look like some I think I've seen here. I have more pics to post but you will be very happy with both those plants.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
hola red :)

I've found out that growing in a big city like Bogota can be a lot stealthier than growing out in the fincas. out in the fincas, all it takes is one nosy neighbor to go into your land and you are history, you either will get ripped or snitched, and if you are very very lucky, your neighbor will be cool, but the odds for that are low.

in the city, provided you live in a house with a big enough backyard, there's no way anyone can just walk right in... back in the day when I was still in the Andes, my best spot was my backyard, completely private, only downside of it was that I was only getting about 6-7 hours of direct sunlight on the plants.

all other spots out in the mountains I had eventually were compromised due to nosy neighbors, all ending in getting ripped or reported. except for one which was so far away and such difficult access, that I only had the time and energy to keep it going for a couple of years only.

sure, a backyard is not the biggest place in a house in the city, but depending on the neighborhood (to what stratus in Bogota do you have access to basically), you can grow all year long and provide for all your personal needs and for enjoying the beautiful act of growing this wonderful herb.

about your wife's attitude towards this most beneficial of herbs, I cannot really comment, I know Colombian women (or Venezuelan for that matter), and if people think the Amazonian women are a myth, they have not met these ladies lol... very controlling to say the least, I sometimes wonder if I should one day just be like: "hey, I'm going to the bodega to buy a beer" and bam! never come back :D nah, just joking...

peace!

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update

Update

While traveling though the Colombian department of Boyacá I stopped in the beautiful hamlet of Nobsa. Boyacá is not a commercial cannabis growing region to my knowledge, the department is however a very strong agricultural producer. Moderately high altitudes and year round spring like weather produce some of the world’s finest beef, dairy, poultry, grains potatoes and fruits. It only makes sense that cannabis would also flourish in the rich volcanic soil of Boyacá.

attachment.php

Back Yard

. Here is a few photos of top shelf commissure grade Colombian near seedless Sativa cultivated there.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The small buds are an assortment of bright colors with an overall hue of gold. Upon closer inspection I see every color from golden brown to red rust and blond yellow. Small fuzzy clumps of pure Colombian heaven.
attachment.php

The UN burnt fragrance is strong but not overwhelming, fresh musty, earthy hash with that very unique Colombian distinction that denounces very potent cannabis. It smells good to me and I find myself just going for a “sniff” now and then.
attachment.php

I take one huge bong hit, the smoke expands but not bad allowing me to hold it for a second or two. On exhale the taste is pronounced and heavy reminding me of years gone by. For me one hit is enough and I can feel the effect almost immediately. Instantly my mood brightens as I feel a warm glow flow from the center of my body. This warm sensation spreads though out my body relaxing every muscle and tendon to the bone. I am excited with a similar anticipation to that of coming on to acid or MDMA, like knowing that I’m about to get real high. I don’t feel very social but I do want to work on something constructive and I do. This wonderful effect last about an hour then I get the munchies and eat feeling a little sleepy after but not bad. Overall a unique experience that finishes clean and satisfying, very different than the best crippy.
This strain had no name and was given to me by the grower who says he has been growing it for over 3 decades. The grower an older Colombian gentleman doesn’t smoke the bud but uses rubbing alcohol to make a tincture that is rubbed on aching joints. However he did comment that it is excellent for smoking. I didn’t have time to see the plants but he did give me a handful of year old bud that he had in a clay pot behind his house (I guess it was his house). I couldn’t really find out much about the strains lineage but the grower knew nothing about “crippy” and said he’d been inbreeding them since he started growing.

Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Nice find Red Rider. Love your threads about Colombian strains because they were such a huge part of my youthful experiences.

ThaiBliss

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Beautiful thread, pictures and plants :) Brings a happy tear to my eye

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Finest

The Finest

First of all thank you very much for sharing in my Colombian experience. I would again like to express that I’m no master grower or expert on strains, I am simply finding the herb I like.
Like millions of other Americans in the 60s, 70s and 80s I bought and smoked literally pounds of Colombian cannabis. It was the Colombian that really got me high and showed me the true power of this remarkable plant. However like all cannabis coinsures I like many different strains of fine cannabis, not just Colombian.
attachment.php

Mango Biche anyone?

The Colombian I’m looking for is what I had in the late 70s, not the average mersh or even red or gold. It was the summer of 78 and I had moved out of my mom’s house the live with a buddy of mine. He was a maintenance man at an apartment complex on the other side of Dallas. One month we decided not to pay the rent and instead buy a half pound of very special Colombian. We had gotten a very small sample from this new guy that had just moved from California and it (a very small pin joint) was out of this world. My buddy and I couldn’t finish the joint and neither one of us could drive home for a few hours. The price was right and we had lots of friends that would buy it up quick so we bought it and hurried home to cut it up. I can’t remember exactly how the weed looked but I remember it was almost seedless and had an almost blue tint to it. The bud was some of the best I’ve had in the last 40 years. I remember meeting these two sexy young ladies at the lake and turning them on to a few hits and them spending the weekend with us in gratitude (another story). But as luck would have it as soon as we had the half pound cut into small lids, no one was interested in buying. We were in a bad place cause we spent every penny on the weed and didn’t even have a scrap of food. There’s nothing worse than having the best smoke in the world and nothing to munch on. It turns out that our new connection just got in a shipment of the newest weed “sinsemilla” and as such (since we knew the same people) no one wanted to buy the Colombian. In all honesty the Colombian was much more potent with a deeper high but the “sinsemilla” was new and very pretty with a sweet taste and everyone wanted to try it. I ended up moving back home (with a big fat lid) cause we just couldn’t keep the apartment but that fabulous Colombian has always stuck in my mind.

attachment.php

Since I’ve been living in Colombia I’ve found many great samples but none quite the same as the 78 version, this example from Nobsa is the closest yet. This is the plant I want to work with in my future projects here in Colombia, I have some other (what I believe to be “pure” Colombian) strains to work with as well. With legalization becoming a reality so is my dream and soon you too will be teleported back to the day.

attachment.php

Peace from Colombia!

Last edited:

Apodo

Greetings @red rider, is always a pleasure to read your words, and the plants that you encounter in the friendly Colombia soil.
Is shame that the pure colombian cannabis is being displaced in favour of the crippy. Hopefully, as growers, we can do our tiny share, be it passing on seeds or doing a reproduction if we are able. It will be a sad day when jewels like Punto Rojo or the Cauche are lost or unavailable.
I know that the focus is in colombian cultivars, but curiosity is stirring.
What about the White Skunk from White Label?. There is not much info around the strain, and you got first hand experience with it, can you share some details?. Ease of grow, pest resistance, and of course, what kind of effects did you experiment on consumption?.
The pictures are a joy to behold, I wish I had some of that regs for a chill out session :) .

Jhhnn

Veteran
Here is what I have:

View Image

The Colombian x C99 is on the lower left, and the Punto Rojo is upper right. I should have taken them with a penny for size comparison. Those CG x C99 are tiny.

Just because seeds are big does not make them Indica. The biggest seeds I have seen were from Thai Stick and look very much like the Punto Rojo I have. I have also acquired some Laos seeds that look very similar to the Thai and PR.

Thanks,

ThaiBliss

Your punto rojo seeds are very reminiscent of old time colombian seeds, both in the surface reticulation & the general shape, more round than their egg like mexican cousins.

merc500

new years eve 1975/76 my friend and i drove down to key west in a brand new 75' red corvette.we sure didn't want to be carrying weed in that car thru south carolina, georgia. as we got to sloppy joe's in key west i asked the guy selling popcorn where we could get some weed ? "it shouldn't be hard bales of it are washing up on the beaches" we copped an oz for cheap of this soaking wet Columbian. my friend says "that's no good". i dried some out over a light bulb fired it up and said "yes it is !" i sure do miss that Columbian seen it all large 71' 77' then that cali stuff with the orange hairs took over

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Appreciate the Colombian stuff here, takes me back in time to 70's just a little. Those buds from the older grower look magical.

Looking to get Cannabiogen Mangobiche real soon here.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Green grass N high tides

Green grass N high tides

Greetings, the White Lable White Skunk I grew in 2006, as I remember (I do have notes somewhere) was very good and I recommend it. However like all the indoor cannabis (imported seed) the white skunk really needs to veg under lights to get much yield. And as I recall it had a strong but somewhat bland effect with a really good smell and taste. In the future if I grow any imported seed I will veg the plants before putting them out in the 12/12 year round sun.
About names, here in Colombia just like anywhere else, people trying to sell weed will put any name on it to move it. So the only way I can be mostly sure it is what it’s said to be is if I obtain it in that region (i.e. Santa Marta). Here in Bogota I am offered “types” of cannabis sometimes like “Gold or Punto Rojo, Corinto and Cauche. Exactly where these strains are grown I’m not sure and the guy selling it is clueless as well. So its hard to say if I’ve seen any SMG but I can say in 13 I did indeed obtain some authentic Cauche directly from Manizales. Black stringy buds with a knock out narcotic effect, not what I’m after but an excellent indica replacement for night time meds.
The fact is Colombia is still very rural with almost no infrastructure (roads) so most places are remote and difficult to access. And although there is a long history of cannabis cultivation here its use is socially unacceptable and seen almost as a perversion. As a result cannabis seeds and strains don’t get mixed by the local population (I’m sure the cartels do though) and there are many unknown inbred strains here. If you’re a gringo like me and you came here looking for cannabis in Bogota you will never see 90% of the weed grown here. Even with the help of my long time Colombian friends here I can’t get what I consider the best Colombian. Oh yeah sure I get maybe the best “Crippy” in Bogota (tourist never see this bud) and it is Steller but it’s not the gourmet Colombian of my youth. To find that I have to go out in the countryside and meet folks. Due to the taboo on cannabis here and my broken Spanish that’s not as easy as it seems. I was lucky again a couple weeks ago when I met the grower in Nobsa (really a fluke as he was a friend of my wife’s family). I wasn’t planning on finding anything on that trip, hell I even packed some Crippy. I am very happy with this find, the free weed is a real treat and even though the buds are seedless I did get some fresh seed from the grower. However I really can’t grow anything out in my current location. But I’m saving for the future and I have plotted a few locations for a farm but my wife is still not down with the idea of leaving the city. This woman is so difficult and hypocritical, typical of the upper class Colombian. One day she called me a marijuana smoker in Spanish, I took it as a compliment but here it’s like the ultimate insult. She wants nothing to do with cannabis as she thinks it’s an addictive narcotic yet I smoke daily and she has it growing all over the house as does her mother (mom’s cool though and in the past smoked with me). If I had half a wit I would get on the next flight home but she’s so hot and cold, one minute throwing me out of the house in a violent outburst over nothing, the next she’s ripping my clothes off calling me god. I just never know what to expect from her and as a result I’m always a little uneasy and unable to structure realistic cannabis growing plans. My Colombian wife is super sexy with a perfect body that she takes the best care of (even after two kids) but life with her is not easy, even her family can’t believe I’ve survived this long. Anyway I have the most positive outlook on the future and plan to press on with my quest. Thanks for all your wonderful questions and comments, I look forward to hearing more stories from the 70s.
Oh on a finial note I would to say in all my time here in Colombia I have never seen or heard of cannabis called “Mango biche”. When I asked one of my suppliers about it he never heard of it either and referred me to a stand selling unripe green sliced Mangos. However he did find it funny that someone would name weed after green mangos.