What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

laws for growing on raw land?

m4n

Family friend has some land in santa cruz county hills. 5 acres, dirt road, power access at the main road thats all the info I got. Can I pull up a camper and set up a green house next spring or does the property have to meet a certain criteria?

shredGnar

It depends on how the land is zoned and if it has covenants or not.

In my county in CO, to do what you are saying, you would need to be zoned agricultural and have no covenants saying you have to build a house etc, can't farm, etc. Etc.

Here it is very difficult to find land like that with less than 40 acres.

Anyhow best of luck, Google your county's zoning laws and you should find what you need.

MountZionCollec

I would Read Santa Cruz cultivation ordinance. I believe they are in the process of writing a new ordinance which will answer your questions. I believe your only allowed 100 square feet though there presently.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I believe in santa cruz county you should be good to go.

anyway they are pretty lenient, i doubt you would be hassled regardless

good luck

MountZionCollec

http://m.ksbw.com/news/medical-marijuana-laws-changing-in-santa-cruz-this-may/32425492

If their saying enforcement will be compliance driven it mainly depends on who your neighbors are, and how secluded the grow is because any potential person seeing or smelling your grow can report you, they will investigate and if u have more then 100 square feet they might arrest you.

Again tho I believe their is a committee they just started to change the local ordinance again. I'd be shocked if the new law does not require a permament living structure, that seems to be where the laws will go though I haven't read any of the recent Santa Cruz ordinances, I did a few years ago when I read all the Cali county ordinances looking where to buy land.

when it comes to going to jail I don't trust icmag responses, though up to you.

MountZionCollec

I wouldn't trust my opinion on it either lol hope u didn't take that as not to listen to schrews, he's actually grown there, I was just referring in general that when it comes to the law u gotta actually read the law, so many county laws are changing so quick u gotta be careful.

In the article they say they've create a code enforcement thing like butte to do the enforcing, so maybe they aren't arresting people just fining them? Don't know.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I have a friend who has about 90 acres in the santa cruz mountains, no house or power just a trailer. he grows a few hundred plants every year and never been bothered, for what its worth

Everything is going to change with these new Med bills that just passed. Counties and local muni's can ban outright or come up with additional taxing schemes on top of what the state charges. If you get a license.

Then change even more when full on rec use comes around. Gonna be a totally different ball game the next few years.

I wouldn't invest to much in a project right now until we get more info on the timing of these bills, etc.

amanda88

Family friend has some land in santa cruz county hills. 5 acres, dirt road, power access at the main road thats all the info I got. Can I pull up a camper and set up a green house next spring or does the property have to meet a certain criteria?

You may have to supply your own water ....lol (jk)

myrtyl

I did a lot of research on this before summer and with 5 acres you would be able to grow 2000 sq ft( if you had less it would be 1000 st ft... and over 10 acres would be 3000) but since then they tried to squash it to 100 sq ft for everyone... even those not in residential. There was a referendum on that and supposedly repealed it but then i heard a rumor that it wasn't completely repealed....

Moral of the story in Santa Cruz you're better off complying to all the regs but not making yourself known.... also DO NOT make concentrates where you grow... this is completely against regs and will give them reason to cut your crop completely.. This happened to a friend 2 weeks ago and prior to the enforcement knowing about the small jar of tincture he was making for fun they were not going to fine or destroy anything.

MountZionCollec is absolutely right... read the laws and know them better than the police who show up at your door. If you do they will not be able to surprise you with anything.

Also you need to check with the city you are technically in... best situation would be BC or SC maybe even BD.

Here are the ordinances I read up on when I was about to start up...
Chapter 7.126

Chapter 7.124

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great advice, myrtyl. Check ordinances, esp. since CA is in severe drought situation.