What's new

Terpinator bottom pour mod?

OceanGrownPharm

Long time lurker here and I have tried searching threads to no avail so I apologize if this has been covered. I know open blasting and pouring is sort of taboo. I will say all my extractions are done outside & as safely as possible.

Has anyone modified a terpinator style closed loop (or perhaps such a system already exists?) to have a valve on the bottom of the collection pot?

I have been running my MKIII for about 6 months and decided a few weeks ago to do some tweeks. It's now more of a hybrid system open blast/closed loop. I recover nearly all the solvent but instead of opening up and pouring, I am able to open the ball valve and blast the last little solvent onto ptfe.

Has this already been done/covered/discussed? If so, I apologize in advance.

If there's any interest/if I'm not drummed out of here, I can go into more detail with the setup.

BrainChild

Never seen a terp like that. Wouldn't mind to see some pix...;-)

Saw bizzy doing this awhile back on his system, that pisser valve tech! interesting but I noticed he seemed to favor the pour and didn't really say much as to why.

Would you say there is more or less oil loss vs pouring from the spool? How deep do you recover?

Last edited:

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Ive dreamed bout that... a top on the botton with a valve to pour oil as needed.... no not there yet that im aware of....

OceanGrownPharm

The way I have modified it is pretty simple really although I did cobble together some parts I already had mixed with parts I aquired from a friend.

In place of the 6" blank on the bottom of the collection pot, I have a 6" to 2" reducer. Around this reducer I have coiled some copper tubing that I run hot water through in order to speed up recovery.

From there I have a 2" to 1.5" reducer (so I could utilize the next aquired piece) that goes to a sightglass. The bottom of the sightglass is a 1.5" to 1/4" NPT. I have a 1/4" ball valve at the bottom.

I will do a pass, recover until I see just enough solvent in the sightglass and close the recovery valve & shut off recovery pump. Once the solvent settles and a small about of positive pressure is built into the recovery chamber, I blast from the valve.

I then

OceanGrownPharm

Oops, didn't mean to send that yet:

Then I vac the recovery chamber down to full vacuum.

I then do the process again or do multiple passes, depending upon what I'm going for.

This setup enables me to blast a really nice first wash then without disassembling everything, do more washes/soaks.

iyour thinking about a mod for mkiii why dont you consider the 6x6 base from best valu vac it will fit with same clamp and give you a sight glass and more gas volume

Latest posts

Latest posts