What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hydro hot peppers

mofreak

i've never grown anything but weed indoors with hydro methods,but i wouldnt mind growing some really nice long red chilies like Lomboks or cayennes.i was curious how does the light cycle work.i know its probably nothing like weed.do you cut the light back and force flower?im totally ignorant inthis area.hope this isnt a totally stupid question

B

Bob Green

I am interested as well. It seems like they would need some powerful lights.

Apache Kush

idk but there are Pepper/Hot pepper forums online, if you did a search you find out...

I have Jalepenos outdoors and they just constantly throw flowers, no seasons but hot as balls and less hot here in AZ lol thing is constantly flowering

B Flo

I use an 18/6 the whole life cycle, switching to bloom nutes when they show first blooms. I've grown jalapeños, chilies, Thai hots, many different bell peppers, New Mexico big Jim's, etc. All loved the hydro and inside environment. Aphids really like peppers FYI.

shithawk420

Veteran
Sorry if this is off topic but can hot peppers even be grown indoors?im sure they can but will they be hot? Stress cuases peppers to be hot.so more stress the hotter the pepper.it seems they would be mild indoors.I don't know

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I have brought in my ghost peppers, and continued the grow inside our greenhouse room for the winter... I can tell ya the peppers I take off the plant when they are inside, are def not nearly as hot as when they are growing outside ... But... inside the days are shorter, the sun is not as intense as when they r outside in the summer..

never grew em under lights

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They are milder indoors though a superhot is a supershot even with a 10% loss in pungency.

Pungency as related to water stress isn't clear cut. Mild varieties gain a larger percentile increase than hot varieties, and some cultivars are not effected at all. I've seen no data on superhots (the academic world has yet to discover supers, studies published only a year or two ago still quote habanero or bhut jolokia as "the worlds hottest").

Check out thehotpepper.com. There are a number of hydroponic growers, though in general the forum is a few years behind the knowledge curve. Some users are a gold mine of information.

Light intensity and humidity are huge. I've set pods under T8, but you basically need to SCROG.

Light cycle as you will, they have no photoperiod.

Aphids do love peppers. Peppermint oil is working well so far, but still testing out concentration (phytotoxicity). Twice now it's worked in a single application, but I still get minor leaf burn.

Dion

they dont care about light schedule they fruit when they r ready

depending on your system try and deprive them of water towards the end to get spicier fruits

always beat them up indoors- they need it

Resin23

My local worms way grew small super hot peppers under hid lights in water, I don't know the specifics and they closed the location, but they had them to sample. I put three of them under the cheese of leftover stuffed crust pizza because someone kept eating it when I was asleep. My neighbor was throwing up the entire next day lol

orechron

You should grow them under gavitas. I hit 1.5 lbs/light with the pre2008 scotch bonnets, 3/light with the platinum jalapeños.

I bet a chitosan treatment would increase potency indoors.

windycitysmoker

⚖TrippleBeamDreams⚖
Veteran
So from a pepper grow in soil is the pepper bigger grown in hydro or hotter? I only grow DWC as of now. Me and soil just don't work... Lmao I just think I don't know what I'm doing in soil like mixing and stuff. I don't understand why they say hydro is for experienced growers it's the easiest thing.

blastfrompast

Veteran
One thing to note....and I found this wierd....

When i grew red peppers indoors they went from green to purple/black.... Oh and a 6 inch pot will only support 2 peppers per plant I discovered (at least to the best of my skills)...

I tried SOG....with 16 plants one winter just regular red peppers .... That being said my temps were LOW the entire grow....lower 60's.....lights on 22/2...

H

Hashash

they dont care about light schedule they fruit when they r ready

depending on your system try and deprive them of water towards the end to get spicier fruits

always beat them up indoors- they need it

i also had pretty much the same feeling
but still it would be nice to find out if there might be a way
to somehow maintain vegetative growth till the plant is big

i grow a few under fluorescence with plenty of blue light
they get very thick stems grow very bushy

those which i put on my window which has maybe 3 - 4 hours
of direct sun light they elongated a bit more.

but either way if indoor or window sill they all went flowering.

gardener60

I have some pepper seedlings growing under some T12 lights and they are about 4 or 5 inches tall and have already started to flower I will send some pictures tomorrow. I think they are my Chimayo Chiles. Also my tomato seedlings are about 12 inches tall under the same lights. They all will be transplanted in the ground on May 15 for my time zone.

LostTribe

Premium user
They are milder indoors though a superhot is a supershot even with a 10% loss in pungency.

Pungency as related to water stress isn't clear cut. Mild varieties gain a larger percentile increase than hot varieties, and some cultivars are not effected at all. I've seen no data on superhots (the academic world has yet to discover supers, studies published only a year or two ago still quote habanero or bhut jolokia as "the worlds hottest").

Check out thehotpepper.com. There are a number of hydroponic growers, though in general the forum is a few years behind the knowledge curve. Some users are a gold mine of information.

Light intensity and humidity are huge. I've set pods under T8, but you basically need to SCROG.

Light cycle as you will, they have no photoperiod.

Aphids do love peppers. Peppermint oil is working well so far, but still testing out concentration (phytotoxicity). Twice now it's worked in a single application, but I still get minor leaf burn.

How was the peppermint oil made and applied? Did you use concentrated peppermint from the grocer?

Pretty sure I have aphids all over my green pepper! DooooooH!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
0.125-0.25% peppermint essential oil
0.5% insecticidal soap or other emulsifier

From the grocer, yes, just ensure it is pure and free of carrier oils or other additives.

Test it out at dusk and give the treated leaf/branch/plant a full days sun. I've yet to figure out if the burn is from poor emulsification or the mix itself, but it's quite minor. Essential oils can vary in terpene make up and strength.

Make sure there aren't any ants nests nearby.

Latest posts

Latest posts