What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

flushing coco for a smooth taste

So this is my first time using coco and I want to make sure I get it 100% flushed. What's the best way ? How long to flush? Should I use something for flushing?

zangb0zang

I use 50/50 ro/tap water throught the grow, and tap water (same ph) to flush plants 7-15 days.
I put my tapwater in a bucket for 24-48h before using it. then i ph it.

hope this 1st post will help :)

RonSmooth

Veteran
Flushing is to get rid of excess levels of salts in the medium. From what i understand about plant biology, it doesn't directly effect the taste.

Excess salts arent good for the plant so flushing is good for this reason. I would run plain water through the medium until your runoff is an acceptable EC, then resume feeding as the plant needs.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
So this is my first time using coco and I want to make sure I get it 100% flushed. What's the best way ? How long to flush? Should I use something for flushing?

People use different methods but I flush using a shower head and a mesh bowl into a large pretreated (ph 5.8) bowl of water to soak.

Depending on what the coco is for exactly ie seedling, veg or flower you can 'precharge' the mixture. For example I was thinking of using a root enhancer at an EC level of 0.3 in my soaking bowl next time out.

Flushing is to get rid of excess levels of salts in the medium. From what i understand about plant biology, it doesn't directly effect the taste.

Excess salts arent good for the plant so flushing is good for this reason. I would run plain water through the medium until your runoff is an acceptable EC, then resume feeding as the plant needs.
Ive been lead to believe the nutrient and salt build up effects taste and the way the flowers burn and taste after curing
People use different methods but I flush using a shower head and a mesh bowl into a large pretreated (ph 5.8) bowl of water to soak.

Depending on what the coco is for exactly ie seedling, veg or flower you can 'precharge' the mixture. For example I was thinking of using a root enhancer at an EC level of 0.3 in my soaking bowl next time out.

A root Enhancer at the end of flower what would that be for? Im thinking the past two weeks ill cut my nuets in half or maybe even just down to a third then the other week straight flush maybe add a little flushing agent in the beginning of the week then straight water the last 3-4 days.I don't want my flowers to spark or crackle while being burnt. would that be enough to avoid that?

dreadlock

i was under the impression with coco the cation levels which aid in nutrient uptake, health etc balance out over time, a sudden flush would be stressful to a plant. Gradually lowering the the feed before seems to be the reasonable approach. Bear in mind if you are not feeding heavy, allowing decent run-off their shouldn't be much salt build up anyway...

tried both ways until i realized flushing wasn't important if i did things correctly, feeding plain water for the last 7 days has worked fine..

lazylathe

Flush for 10 to 15 days with RO water that has been ph'd.

You will know it worked when you light up and it burns nice and clean with grey ash.
If you did not flush or for not long enough it will burn black and be harsh.

I do not know if flushing makes a difference if you just vaporize?
Would be interesting to find out though.

Flush for 10 to 15 days with RO water that has been ph'd.

You will know it worked when you light up and it burns nice and clean with grey ash.
If you did not flush or for not long enough it will burn black and be harsh.

I do not know if flushing makes a difference if you just vaporize?
Would be interesting to find out though.

Also if not flushed correctly the buds crackle when being burnt

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Also if not flushed correctly the buds crackle when being burnt

If not flushed the bud tastes of shit chemicals when smoked. Like a lot of bud in amsterdam that you might buy in a coffeeshop for example.
Yield is money to some folks regardless of the taste when it is a tourist market especially.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Make sure the e.c. comes out at an acceptable range for a couple days. It is amazing how much coco holds nutes.

vein5

Since I started using drip clean everyone asks if I grow organic. Funny bc I don't and only flush a day or two before harvest. But I also keep my ppm very low

FlaDankster

Veteran
Just out of curiosity............why are some of you guys phing your flush at the end????

I get it if you are still feeding with small amounts of nutes but if all you are doing is flushing with plain water at the end why waste your ph up/down or what ever you use to control ph balance.

Harry Lime

Veteran
1 week - 10 days (strain dependant) plain, un phed water at grows end. Fucks up the ph in the medium so girls cant use nutes there and use up whats left in the plant instead.

Burns clean, grey ash, no manky metalic taste, my patients love it.

P

Puscifer

Always a 14 straight un-ph'd tap water feed prior to harvest.
These are coming down in 5 days...

picture.php

joe guy

Anybody use nuets untill the"almost the very end then flush with a flushing agent??

This is what I do, except I go lil further and after the flora kleen or black label flush I run one more gal of straight un ph'ed RO to get some of the sugars out that are in the flushing agents... Just somthing I've allways done and I only go for two to maybe 4 days no crackle here and tend to be a bit heavy on the nutes since I only use one gallon every 3 days so the nutes still last awhile..