What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

6" Vortex louder than 465 CFM Dayton

G

I can't use my Vortex because it's too loud.

I've been using a 465 CFM Dayton for about 7 years.

I thought the Vortex would be quieter, but it's not even close!

I'm just wondering, is something wrong?

Your probably not used to the sound of that much air moving. I've never run a Dayton 465 but I used to run dayton 265's so I'm familiar with the product and I currently run a couple 6" vortex's. There is no way that a properly functioning 6" vortex is mechanically louder than a dayton 465. They simply move more air and pull harder under load thean any squirel cage style fan. Get a speed controller...I'll bet that when the vortex is moving the same amount of air as the dayton was that it will be quieter.

G

I'm kind of worried it might be mechanical. Mostly because of all the posts mentioning the Vortex as quieter than the Dayton.

It dosen't sound off balance or anything. Just, more powerful...alot
It certainly could be that I'm just not "used to it"...

Maybe a Speed Controller will help. Thanks for the tip!

ehonda187

nothing wrong bro. I have a 6 inch vortex as well and it is definately loud. Its a loud steady drone even when pulling through my carbon scrubber.. Just build a DIY silencer. Basically a big tupper ware style bin with some kind of batting material to insulate the noise and 2 holes.

G

BTW, I have a DIY SIS style carbon filter I'm hoping to use.

I'm hoping this will act as a "duct muffler" when attached?

I plan on sucking from a DIY air-cooled hood & blowing through the filter...

Thanks for the help!

:canabis:

ehonda187

I always thought that speed controllers sacrifice performance. Your basically downgrading your setup by slowing the air movement to quiet it down. Its nice to have a controllable fan for sure. I have a dayton controller I had purchased but have yet to try it out. I also have a "silencer" I built for next to nothing and it sits on top of the cab making the Vortex mostly quiet while pumpin all 465 cfm's :joint:

Old Soul

Veteran
Isn't a 6" vortex running at 449cfm's? if so, I don't see how it should run any louder than a dayton 465 since it is already moving a little less air. Try a speed controller, put on a muffler, or push through the carbon scrubber which will muffle the sound greatly. I have a dayton 465 in a cabinet and push through the carbon scrubber and it greatly muffles the noise.

G

ehonda187 said:
I always thought that speed controllers sacrifice performance. Your basically downgrading your setup by slowing the air movement to quiet it down.

me too.
I'll try the "fan in a box" thingy and hook up my filter. Hopefully I won't need a speed controller.

I was just worried that I might have a bad fan.
But it runs smooth, just powerful...
and loud...

Old Soul said:
Isn't a 6" vortex running at 449cfm's? if so, I don't see how it should run any louder than a dayton 465 since it is already moving a little less air.
Those are going to be no load numbers...hook both up to the same ducting and the Vortex wins everytime.

G

initially my vortex was extremely loud, and since i didnt have a filter to make it blow into i added like 15 feet of ducting and it quited it down by about 50%. my computer is louder then it now