What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Burned by soil mix

914safbmx

Hey guys. So i just transplanted into my new soil mix and my plants are looking very unhappy. Its been about a week now and they are still very droopy. Whats interesting is they are still very green and producing new growth (slower than before of course). The mix i put together was supposed to be “no cook time” but after seeing the state of the plants i measured root zone temps and they are about 105 degrees! Do you think they can recover? I mean i know its possible because some strains have recovered already but specifically my goji OG looks like its on the brink of death. I wasnt too worried at first but 8-9 days seems like way too long. Please advise?

troutman

Seed Whore
Did you water until the water came out the bottom holes?

You may have to flush the pots real good with just water and no nutrients.

914safbmx

They are outdoors in 100 gals. Right after transplant we got very heavy rainfall for about 48 hours straight. Total involuntary flush lol. Im just confused because i figured after 9 days if they hadnt bounced back they were for sure goners , but they seem to be slowly growing still and have good color. Are they gonna make a comeback or did i cook em to death?

914safbmx

I’ve been trying to find an answer on how hot is too hot. Easy to find what optimal root zone temp range is but at what point does damage actually occur? I’ve had AC failures indoor that led to extremely high ambient temps and also hot days growing outdoors where the soil must have reached the high 90s or even hundreds. But i’ve never seen damage like this before

troutman

Seed Whore
Also, it's possible you didn't properly harden the plants.

Taking indoor plants and placing in direct sunlight is very stressful.

914safbmx

Also, it's possible you didn't properly harden the plants.

Taking indoor plants and placing in direct sunlight is very stressful.

They went from indoor, to hoophouse, to full sun/hot soil. Also we had a few cold rainy days going straight into the worst heat wave ive seen in my area. They getting a rough welcome to the outdoors. Really hoping they bounce back soon. The fact that they have some new growth makes me think that they will, despite this super extended stress period

h.h.

Veteran
Pots can get hot. Add water to a hot pot, you get hot water. Shade your pots.

If it was nutrients, your plants would show burn. They wouldn't look healthy. Sounds llke to me, wilting from the heat.

914safbmx

Pots can get hot. Add water to a hot pot, you get hot water. Shade your pots.

If it was nutrients, your plants would show burn. They wouldn't look healthy. Sounds llke to me, wilting from the heat.

well i stopped transplanting on my second day when i noticed the wilt. half my crop is still in 5 gals and they seem super happy, even in the heat. i guess cause they havent been disturbed at all they can handle alot more

914safbmx

What is in the mix?

peat, pumice/rice hulls, local compost (mostly cow manure and lobster compost up here in maine. seemed very well composted low odor etc)

then added stuff like gypsum, oyster shell flour, basalt, neem cake, kelp meal, worm castings. nothing too hot like chicken shit or blood meal because i knew i was gonna rush them in without letting it cook. thought it would be totally chill but once everything was mixed it really roasted. maybe i shouldnt have wetted the mix down with a tea? accelerated it too much?

troutman

Seed Whore
Maybe you should have mixed your soil and let it age for a while.

Next time use less nutrients and wait longer. :tiphat:

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
That is still quite a few ingredients and seems strong for a no cook mix.. In some ways the concept of a no cook mix seems silly in a way as it is a bit of a gross assumption or major generalisation as no two bases/composts/manures are the same for one thing.

Common sense would kinda say the more amendments you use in soil the more you would want to give it a good amount of time to let it come alive biologically and then settle down with the right long term non pathogenic microbiome and also allowing more buffering reactions take place so the pH of the mix is less volatile.

Bet ya it's the local compost that is too hot in the wrong N.. Nitrates/nitrites/urea/ammonia etc.. and stress/lockouts possibly from pH swings..

Maybe dig one out and repot it in a different and legit safe soil mix and see how she responds, that will tell you what is doing it.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree that it is likely the compost you used that could likely not have been finished, however I am not experienced with using neem cake and I don't know if it is 'hot'. I know it is used in some mixes which recommend 'composting' your mix.

I've never had a problem with your other ingredients. I did have a similar problem once by accidentally mixing in a high ratio of rock dust. The plants did recover but were set back.

A simple test for compost is to plant a tomato seed in it. If it sprouts and grows a few days to a week without burning, usually the compost is good (finished).

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I agree that it is likely the compost you used that could likely not have been finished, however I am not experienced with using neem cake and I don't know if it is 'hot'. I know it is used in some mixes which recommend 'composting' your mix.

I've never had a problem with your other ingredients. I did have a similar problem once by accidentally mixing in a high ratio of rock dust. The plants did recover but were set back.

A simple test for compost is to plant a tomato seed in it. If it sprouts and grows a few days to a week without burning, usually the compost is good (finished).
Luv your litmus test :tiphat:

914safbmx

That is still quite a few ingredients and seems strong for a no cook mix.. In some ways the concept of a no cook mix seems silly in a way as it is a bit of a gross assumption or major generalisation as no two bases/composts/manures are the same for one thing.

Common sense would kinda say the more amendments you use in soil the more you would want to give it a good amount of time to let it come alive biologically and then settle down with the right long term non pathogenic microbiome and also allowing more buffering reactions take place so the pH of the mix is less volatile.

Bet ya it's the local compost that is too hot in the wrong N.. Nitrates/nitrites/urea/ammonia etc.. and stress/lockouts possibly from pH swings..

Maybe dig one out and repot it in a different and legit safe soil mix and see how she responds, that will tell you what is doing it.

well they are finally starting to come around. got a break from the heat wave which helped alot. seems like my mix stabilized. checking temps on the pots that dont have plants in em yet and the temps are stable at around 80 degrees. not bad right? gonna transplant a few more tomorrow and see if just a 5-6 days cook time did the trick.

i'm not sure it was the local compost thats at fault here. many growers in the area use it, and the farm boasts of there long term curing process and carefully screened quality ingredients. they say its mostly "oceanic residuals" like lobster, crab, fish. i have also personally used it on a small scale with my indoor and its been awesome. never cooked the mix with the indoor and the plants always took to it easily. guess it gets alot hotter with larger amounts in larger pots huh? i should have known better.

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
I've run into similar before.

I'm quite confident your plants will now explode and look absolutely stunning from here on out.

Good luck!