What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A plee for your health

reddy1

ICMag Donor
good thread all should take Mr Celsius caution seriously. i won't step into my Op without protection on.

i got some dorky HD Vision glasses($5) they are like UV400, real nice against the blue lights, not too much darker than without them on, just less blue. recommended especially for indoor gardens.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Schott Glass Technologies makes the ACE DIDYMIUM glasses for glass blowing and torch work.

Little fact, they are the big supplier in the world for lab glass and borosilicate heavy glass tubes and joints for bongs are made by them along with keck clips etc. They make the 18.8 glass on glass ground joint with an open end back door and be heated and joined to the tubes.

Product Description
Schott Glass Technologies has developed a new contrast enhancement glass for spectacle lenses. The new material, called ACE, short for "Amethyst Contrast Enhancer," utilizes rare earth oxides in the glass composition to achieve the unique color enhancing.

Been looking at these for a while, they make several styles. They are not sunglasses however.

Welders glasses come in numbers #1 #2, number goes up, darker the lens.

I'm not sure if these professional products are better than a pair of medium to good quality uv blocking sunglasses.

Probably a good place to look for light and UV protection might be anything made for skiers. Immense reflected and direct light on the mtn.

smiley

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thread has been stickied..I have some headaches lately that Ive never experienced before. Im one to not get headaches but the few Ive had in the last few weeks have been doooooozies...holding my head, feeling like its going to explode!

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Thread has been stickied..I have some headaches lately that Ive never experienced before. Im one to not get headaches but the few Ive had in the last few weeks have been doooooozies...holding my head, feeling like its going to explode!

Thank you soo much Mrs.Babba

I'm glad I can help out all those that have helped me.

Talonted

WELDERS USE A HELMET, FLASHBURN IS NO JOKE :joint:

ArcticBlast
Im an alum TIG welder mainly but as a fabricator i get flashed all the time. If you walk by a fitting bay those guys are rubbing their eyes all day long cause they dont use helmets. I have a Miller Elite digital Auto-darkening lid but its way to hot to wear in my Round room and im always running my head into things. Our local Argon supplyer "Praxair" sells 20 dollar pairs of variable UV protective safety glasses for fitting with a Mig.

AB~ you got that right^^ Flashburn on your eyes is enough to make you cry.^^
Welders flash is like a bad sunburn on the surface of your eyes and sorta feels like someone threw sand in your face. It's not funny and guys usually get sent home without pay for the rest of the day. I posses my Occupational first aid level 2 and 3 so im the first responder on my site aswell as a full time tig welder and its more common than an untied shoe. As long as the bullet doesnt have their name on it, they arent really aware of the full potential of the dangers of UV exposure. With growing and TIG welding full time its hard to not expose my eyes but im always sure to bend over backwards, twist my arm and put my coolness on hold while i throw on some knarly optics.

Talonted

I ask you all a simple question, Do all welders smoke or are all smokers only welders. I beleive that ansi 17 safety glasses are rated enough to protect from any uv burn. My last job used pulsed mig weld brightest shit you ever saw, if you do burn your eyes cool whole milk dropped into your eyes and then thin sliced potatoes right on your eye ball will have you better in no time.

-Pulse is a setting on advanced TIG/MIG machines

-I weld and i smoke weed and cigarettes, ive smoked smokes while TIG welding but never go to work high.... not even once

-Plasma or TIG lets out more of a dangerous arc of light than a Mig set to pulse.

-Milk does work for temporary relief of the burning feeling but thats it

-I remember my Grade 9 Science teacher had us looking at potatoes under microscopes and he told us not to get them or our hands near our eyes because the potato's insides look like mushroom spores, sharp and jagged looking.

Remedies for this type of pain are fine but they do not correct the damage you have done so take preventative measures before exposing your self to harmfull UV

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I had to get the eye doctor to fit me in tomorrow morning.

Twice I have been out with the wife in the last 2 days in pretty bright sun and no sunglasses. Like walking from the car to the mall. I couldn't see AT ALL. My eyes started squinting like when you're up skiing?? Then started watering.... tearing pouring almost and I had to take my wifes hand and have her lead me inside where i got my vision back.

i have no existing eye problems and perfect vision as of my test last year. interesting to see what they find.

I've been wearing uv protected sunglasses but I guess that isn't cutting it.

tons tons tons of funs

smiley

eyyo

So what would be the best to wear if you not want eyedamage?
Does some good sunglasses with uvprotection help at all? Like rayban glasses, or are the welderglasses the only way to go?

thanks

Talonted

you can get any strength in any design, doesnt have to be welding protection, Im just familiar with buying/using them. Raybans im sure would be cool if you were trying to impress your plants but i dont think it will keep enough UV away. I would recommend a pair that has side sheilds aswell because you're never looking straight at the lights, always 90degrees from the light or about 90, in a vert room.

Use the Raybans for now untill you crop out, then you're plants can buy you, your first pair of growroom optics

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Well there was absolutely nothing wrong that he could find. No inflamation, no redness, front to back great. Vision still perfect.

He said it could be the lights but it's less intensive in my case because I always wear sunglasses but he said on a lot of sunglasses the uv proof sticker is just that...... a sticker.

guess that's good, still pretty light sensitive right now.

smiley

P

pine boy

I had been having trouble with my eyes when Mr C made this post.I rigged a small shield for plant gazing.Its a small piece of plywood mounted on a stick that I can flip up and out of the way when neccesary.My eyes dont hurt anymore but I dont see very well in the shadows anymore either.

Y'all take care

wisco61

I had to get the eye doctor to fit me in tomorrow morning.

Twice I have been out with the wife in the last 2 days in pretty bright sun and no sunglasses. Like walking from the car to the mall. I couldn't see AT ALL. My eyes started squinting like when you're up skiing?? Then started watering.... tearing pouring almost and I had to take my wifes hand and have her lead me inside where i got my vision back.

i have no existing eye problems and perfect vision as of my test last year. interesting to see what they find.

I've been wearing uv protected sunglasses but I guess that isn't cutting it.

tons tons tons of funs

smiley

I had this same thing happen to me last summer. I was actually driving and I had to pull over and wait about 10 minutes for it to clear up. It hasn't happened since though, so I dunno wtf it was.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I had this same thing happen to me last summer. I was actually driving and I had to pull over and wait about 10 minutes for it to clear up. It hasn't happened since though, so I dunno wtf it was.

yeah me too! wtf is that?? just gets too damn bright and the eyes must close!

happens to me every few months randomly

I know most people have to go in there rooms with lights on but ive found it easier(and less sweaty) to do work at night with a green light.

When i do have to work in the Vertical with the lights on ive found UV protected Ski Goggles are probably the best bet as they seal to your face so you have all around protection.

if any mod catches this & the OP does not mind, I hiiiiiighly suggest this be stickied in the general grow it section, as well. any other forum that would be appropriate, too. this is a reeeeeeally impt issue than not many think about until it is too late. Very few people are going Coliseum compared to the normal indoor/organic/hydro set-ups. so, i think it would be great if they got/saw this sticky, as well. great job again Mr. Celsius