What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blumat auto watering

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
The guy at the store must be tripping, he has had these on the shelf for three years and then sells them all in a couple of days. Sorry you missed out GS, the dust on mine tasted more like ebola than anthrax.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I wonder if they'll restock now that there's been a weekend rush on this product. Knowing these jamokes, nothing would surprise me................maybe they'll bring in a full container out of Austria.

Glad Maj. C and gdbud were able to take advantage of the savings. It was a nice surprise when I stumbled on them last week.

CC

gdbud

I asked if they were going to get more but the guy said probably not for these had been on the self since 2007. I told the guy that there is a lot of talk about the Blumats on the internet.
If they get them back in I would think they would sell if he would advertise them on their web site.
See what just the word of mouth did for him.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Yeah..... and I need a couple sets and would probably buy a few every year for my patio and deck container plants...... he really should. Maybe I'll call him

Reservoir?

Reservoir?

I have the patio kit, and I'm dying to put it in use. I've got a space carved out for a reservoir, and THIS ONE would fit -perfectly-, and I'd like to get it.

My question is about attaching the Bluemat hose...would I still need to drill into this reservoir, or is there some kind of port on it that I could either attach directly to, or put an adapter on, then connect to. I can't find a better picture or much more detail about it on any other sites.

Here's a couple more links:

4hydro.com
plantlightinghydroponics.com

What do the rest of you guys use for reservoirs? Specifically if you are a micro-grower, I'm looking in the ~10 gal range, or smaller.

Thanks for helping me pimp out my closet!

Last edited:
You don't worry about it leaking? That's the only reason I was looking at....I don't know, I guess I'd call it a "professional" reservoir. It has to be elevated, so possibility of a leak will keep me up at night.

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
No, I don't worry about it leaking. I trust the Rubbermaid brand.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
You don't worry about it leaking? That's the only reason I was looking at....I don't know, I guess I'd call it a "professional" reservoir. It has to be elevated, so possibility of a leak will keep me up at night.

You can use anything as a reservoir... as long as you make sure to make all your connections watertight. I use a 5 gallon buckets, people use Rubbermaids of all shapes and sizes... use a tupperware if you want... If you're going to have any kind of reservoir, you need to make sure that there is zero possibility of a leak.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
A FOAF looked into buying a pallet of these 12-pack units and including shipping from the East Coast (point of entry) to the West Coast, selling these units @ $50.00 would provide a fair and workable profit margin.

Very fair actually.

CC

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I have the patio kit, and I'm dying to put it in use. I've got a space carved out for a reservoir, and THIS ONE would fit -perfectly-, and I'd like to get it.

My question is about attaching the Bluemat hose...would I still need to drill into this reservoir, or is there some kind of port on it that I could either attach directly to, or put an adapter on, then connect to. I can't find a better picture or much more detail about it on any other sites.

Here's a couple more links:

4hydro.com
plantlightinghydroponics.com

What do the rest of you guys use for reservoirs? Specifically if you are a micro-grower, I'm looking in the ~10 gal range, or smaller.

Thanks for helping me pimp out my closet!

Nice! That would work very nicely. I use a plastic tub approx. 10gal.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
A FOAF looked into buying a pallet of these 12-pack units and including shipping from the East Coast (point of entry) to the West Coast, selling these units @ $50.00 would provide a fair and workable profit margin.

Very fair actually.

CC

Let's do it and market to the ladies with the patio plants..... I can get a couple sold to others asap :D

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I am not finding a "reservoir adapter" anywhere and to quote from the directions
"In the meantime, establish the hose connection to the pressure reducer or elevated tank."

So I was wondering how people have or are planning to connect the hose to a res.

Thanks

///EDIT/// Never mind, I did not see that there is a nice adapter provided

Hey guys, first off thanks so much for this thread. I am going out of town for a week and needed something to water my plants and I think this is it. I am a little confused on what I need though, so I want to run it by the pros first.

I will be using a Rubbermaid bin with an airstone in it as a reservoir, that part im sure of. Now I have about 12 plants that will need watering, all in 2 gallon pots. Will the Blumat Deck and Planter Box Kit (http://www.thesustainablevillage.com/servlet/display/product/detail/41904) have everything I need? Should I get some extra tubing for safe measures? It only comes in 150ft and I know I wont need that much but I guess its better to have extra than not enough. Are there any other accessories I need to get?

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Hey guys, first off thanks so much for this thread. I am going out of town for a week and needed something to water my plants and I think this is it. I am a little confused on what I need though, so I want to run it by the pros first.

I will be using a Rubbermaid bin with an airstone in it as a reservoir, that part im sure of. Now I have about 12 plants that will need watering, all in 2 gallon pots. Will the Blumat Deck and Planter Box Kit (http://www.thesustainablevillage.com/servlet/display/product/detail/41904) have everything I need? Should I get some extra tubing for safe measures? It only comes in 150ft and I know I wont need that much but I guess its better to have extra than not enough. Are there any other accessories I need to get?

Hi.
I would not bother with an airstone.Deck and planter box is good.
What you should order is more of the 3mm dripper hose (the little brown hose). I try to give each plant at least 4ft of dripper hose, makes it MUCH EASIER to work with.
Rubbermaids can distort and deform after a while, I use a hard plastic type res.

Good luck!

SD

slowandeasy

Veteran

I disagree with Sunnydog on a couple things. I would recommend an airstone, to keep your water from getting stagnat. It will keep your nutes mixed any oxygenated. If you left your nutes in a tub for a week by themselves, they will smell for sure.

If you have 12 plants and want extra parts, like hose and an extra Reservior attachment or whatever...you might as well just buy 2 Patio and Deck kits. Then you will have extra Blumats incase you ever need them and 2 of everything. Thats what I did and got them from here. Nice people.

http://www.greenacreshydro.com/

So far so good, they just take a little adjusting...but plants are doing well. Good luck

Whew, so glad I got this done. Going to save me a LOT of work. Micro-growing is cramped, and watering is my least favorite activity.

Reservoir (10 gallon Sterilite tub for now, have a Botanicare res that I will get down the road)

Installing the plumbing. I brought it in with the passive air intake.

Pre-op

Cones pre-soaked for 1hr+

Finished!

MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THIS BEFORE INSTALLING!

THE FINAL CONE IN THE SERIES, YOU MUST REMOVE THE "T
" PIECE, AND REPLACE IT WITH THE END PIECE, LIKE SO:

picture.php

If you do what I did instead, which is install the end-piece at the end of the chain by itself, you'll have water squirting all over like crazy!

I'm just glad the lamp didn't get splashed. Had I been smart, I would have turned it off first.

:laughing:

Will let you know how I like 'em once they've had a week or so. Flipping to 12/12 today. Thanks for bringing these to my attention!!!!!!!!