What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning in plain water under fluoros

G

Good luck SB, hope it works for you.

======================

OK, it's time to sex the plants using water cloning. This time we dont need roots, just a way to mark which cuttings belong to what plant. Here's how I sex seedlings before flowering or even preflowers.

Cuts don't have to be big at all, just an inch or so, depending on the thickness of the foam they'll be sitting in

It's no very thick, so an inch will do nicely :)

Now take a pot with straight sides for several inches off the ground and make a template of your styrofoam clone tray.

G

Make sure it fits insidew the pot with no touching the sides anywhere. If it does, it could impede the foam dropping with the water level. If that happens, stems could be exposed, killing the cuttings.

Poke holes in it big enough for the stem. I have 12 plants this time, so 12 holes

Number each hole and fill it from the plant with the corresponding number

G

It even seems the smaller you keep them the better the foam is supported in the water. Make sure each clone pokes out al the way out

All twelve and all twelve in the room with the HPS. I expect them to show sex in two weeks or a bit less. I will not have to maintain them at all for that period.

G

These clones are five days old, so it will be at least another week before I can see some signs of sex.

G

Yeah Mike, a 400 HPS is way too much light for unrooted clones. All you truly have to do is give em enough light to force the cuttings to recognize a 12/12 photoperiod and the natural plant resonse will take over. Even in a piece cut off a mother (father) plant.

issack

Veteran
this has helped me so much man..much Mahalo!!! ( means thank you in Hawaiian)....

G

Right on issack! Glad to hear it :)

Some interesting developments in the clone area have me intrigued and excited. Eleven of the twelve cuts I put under the HPS on 12/12 have shown roots in seven days! That is remarkable consistency for this method and 7 days is about as good as it gets for rooting speed, not that I think that's important.

So far no signs of sex on the cuttings, but I have (irnically enough) been able to sex a couple of the plants from pre-flowers.

More experiments to follow

G

Hey Cap i havent seen this thread.. I dont believe so anyway.
But its a great thread im going to go back and read it in its entirety.. peace..

Sack's First Outdoor Grow
Our grow has updated 1 flowering plant LQQK!!

sack :friends: :canabis: :joint:

A-Loc

mofuckin farmer smurf
great thread, my pops swears by this and i never believed him. didn't think it would work without any cloning gel or rooting hormone. but i am now a believer, i actually took a cutting today and put it in water before i read this. well awesome thread!

A-Loc

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
high cap great thread very informative would it stress the cutting to much
to go 12/12 and when the cutting showed roots in 7-10 days later go
to 18/6 and veg like normal ,just do 12/12 for faster rooting :yoinks:

tragic1

Great thread Cap.I have a few questions for ya.

I use hydro and am wondering how I would transplant in to my system once they show roots?

Once they show roots can I then put them into regular veg? I mean regular lighting.

I also saw someone mention honey.Do you think that would help the process?

Thanks Bro, looking for to your responce.

Blowmonkey

This works wonderful! Tried it out one one cutting, just placed it in a glass of water and it rooted in about ten days. Never drooped or got burned or anything, didn't expect that because the stem is tiny (3 mm's thick or something)..

I've made 9 more cuttings and placed it in a similar set-up to yours, but I wanna see how much difference it makes with a little bit of extra oxygen in the water, so I placed a fish tank bubbler in it.

Thanks a lot for the inspiration man, making clones never seemed so easy. :woohoo:

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
Any info cap on taking clones late in to flower and attempting to re-veg, is there a point it's too late? :chin:
Found neoprene(wet suit) like beer cozies work good as a removable mask over a mason jar or something. the ones for Foster's cans are great.

G

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Cap,
I tried your method and it works great!!!. I just put a Bogglegum clone in soil after 11 days of sitting in a dark glass with a styrofoam top about 3 ft. from a 80 watt flouro. THANKS!!!!!

ReggaeFan

great thread i will be doing this for sure! although what light cycle do the cuttings need 12/12 or 24/0 and would leaving them on the outskirts of my 400 hps be ok or they need to be under fluoros if so could anyone tell me what type of fluoro or give me a link where i can get them in uk as i have no experience with fluoros also what heght to position it away as so to not be to intense for them, if anyone could pm wuld be great, cheers lads!

Last edited:

Dramajic

For my clones I use daylight floro tubes (picked up at Home Depot) on for 18 hours. I find that under hps the clones don't do as well as when under floros. Seedlings the same way. I also keep my clone mothers under floros. The mothers get somewhat leggy but the clones from them still root. I use either a good potting soil or the peat pots that expand when soaked in water to root clones. Also, Green Light Rooting Hormone. For veggie/flower I use 2 600 watt hps. I get good results with 44 watts hps/sq. ft.

My 2 cents worth. Good Luck, Mate.

Latest posts

Latest posts