What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rembetis's DIY Dry sifting contraption

Rembetis

Ok guys,

Here it is. I have been kicking this idea around in my head for awhile now. I didnt want to spend the cash on a tumbler and I had some ideas I wanted to try out.

So this is what I came up with. I call it a paddle wheel sifter. It is a tumbler in a way but rather than tumble the material it picks it up and gently drops it. So I think of as more of the "lift and drop method". Also, my design uses a 1 RPM motor which I believe is gentler. And I am not sure a 1 RPM motor would work well with the typical tumbler design.

The photos pretty much tell you all you need to know but if you have questions feel free to ask. The Cabinet is from a big box store. I tried to keep it simple and fairly affordable.

I added baffles to guide the resin into the glass dish

Last edited:

Rembetis

180 mesh on the wheel.

A velcro flap for loading/unloading. One side of the wheel has a 3/8 bolt thru aluminum angle as an axle. The angle rests on a block of wood on each side of the door frame. On the back side is a 5/16 square rod which is what most rotisserie motors use. The wheel side was threaded and secured with a 3/8 nut and lock washer.

Rembetis

the 5/16 drive shaft slides thru a hole in the back. Mount the motor with a 1/4 inch wing nut and it is all set to go.

I buttoned up the front with a piece of masonite. I dont know if it is necessary but I like it

romanoweed

good Idea with Paddles

does it extract the Resin well? Or are the crushed Buds still smokable after it? I heard thats the Problem in those Tumblers. Maybe add some Stones to crush the Buds

Rembetis

I have photos in the Sinai thread but will add them here for you guys that havent been to that thread.
1st run. hour and a half

2nd run. 3 hours

Rembetis

to answer your question about the buds. I dont know if there is much left to smoke. I kept what is left of the buds to vape or try a water hash run and see if there is anything left. I threw a few buds in but broke up most of it when I put it in the wheel. A Few smaller buds were still intact at the end.
I did a 3rd run but there was a lot of red stigmas mixed in so I stopped after an hour. This was my first time trying the machine so I will fine tune as I get experience with it. I already have some modifications planned.

Last edited:

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Good idea Rembetis,plus it is attractive to look at.

I'm wondering if a mod might be employed to allow for the easy removal of the tumbler so that it could be emptied and cleaned after use?Did you find it inconvenient to access for that purpose?

I happen to have a spare light mover motor that could be used to power the tumbler.It wouldn't spin the tumbler that fast either.

I had even considered a square tumbler,and that is only because I'm not Red Green.Unlike Red,I would not employ the use of duct tape in a project such as this.LOL

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
brilliant idea man and it all looks very well thought out and put together!
interesting idea slim', how hard is it to remove the center ?
are there any things you would like to change in its design, rembetis?
maybe holes in the paddles could help the material tumble? how about a dual layer wheel where you have a second screen to make another grade of sift?
just throwing out some ideas but this thing looks sweet!

Rembetis

I had thought of a cutout on one side with a cover for loading and unloading. The velcro flap works fine so far.

I do have a mod in mind for screen size. My original thought was to build a second wheel or make the screen removable but after running it I have scrapped that idea. I think going smaller than 180 microns might be a mistake but I have considered 150. we'll see on that.
There is room between the glass dish and the bottom of the baffles. I was thinking of making a series of small screens with different meshes that would fit in that space. The main issue is the stigmas coming thru on longer runs. I mainly want to stop them. You could use a taller box and stack screens over the glass dish or go with a smaller diameter wheel. Mine is 15 inches across. I use different meshes for bubble but for dry sift I am pretty happy with what I am seeing so far.

Thats it for now. Otherwise I am happy with the design

Last edited:

Rembetis

Slim, the wheel slides in and out easy enough. The drive shaft fits thru the hole in the back. The the front L support rests on a block on each side of the door frame.

To clean out I open the flap and dump into a large bowl. I do use my air compressor to blow out any fine stuff. It got warm today so I was afraid the screen might clog if I didnt but it was clean enough.

LouDog420

Always like DIY tumblers. Build quality looks fantastic! Very professional looking

Your sift pics look like a bit heavy on the stigmas (pistils), but maybe that's just the pic/lighting. If that's the case, the 180 micron screen might be the cause. I prefer 120 - 130ish micron in my tumbler and seems to keep out more of the larger contaminants while still getting a nice yield. 1 rpm seems very low, but glad it is working for you.

Good vibes

Rembetis

Lou Dog,

I went with 180 based on the tumblers being sold came with much bigger screen sizes. If remember correctly they come with a 200 or 250. I'd have to look it up.

I was having my doubts about the 180 with the Sinai run but I have to tell you. I just finished the first run with TRSC Tora Bora. Huge difference! Not a hair in sight. And the resin quality is out of this world. As we all know each strain is different so I will have to think on it some before I do anything. Right now its all good.

Check in tomorrow for the Tora Bora pics and let me know what you think. It's late here and I need to get off this computer but first thing in the morning I will post pics. I think you guys will really like what you see.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Always like DIY tumblers. Build quality looks fantastic! Very professional looking

Your sift pics look like a bit heavy on the stigmas (pistils), but maybe that's just the pic/lighting. If that's the case, the 180 micron screen might be the cause. I prefer 120 - 130ish micron in my tumbler and seems to keep out more of the larger contaminants while still getting a nice yield. 1 rpm seems very low, but glad it is working for you.

Good vibes

Lou Dog,

I went with 180 based on the tumblers being sold came with much bigger screen sizes. If remember correctly they come with a 200 or 250. I'd have to look it up.

I was having my doubts about the 180 with the Sinai run but I have to tell you. I just finished the first run with TRSC Tora Bora. Huge difference! Not a hair in sight. And the resin quality is out of this world. As we all know each strain is different so I will have to think on it some before I do anything. Right now its all good.

Check in tomorrow for the Tora Bora pics and let me know what you think. It's late here and I need to get off this computer but first thing in the morning I will post pics. I think you guys will really like what you see.
I thought the same as Loudog. That being said, I didn't know that strains might have a different requirement. MY tumbler came with a 150 screen.

Rembetis

Each strain can have different size heads from what I understand. Also can vary between inside and outdoor grown. I run mostly landrace types for hash and found it to be true with bubble. I'd have to dig for the threads but if I remember correctly Sam and others have mentioned the different sized heads.

I'd also like to clarify how this thing works. You could argue that it is a tumbler but it doesnt work the same. Think of it more like a Ferris wheel. The paddles pick up the material and carry it to the top where it drops off and the cycle repeats.

When I came up with this idea I had originally anticipated that the material would drop off much sooner but watching it in action it actually goes almost all the way to the top. That is one reason I went with a slower motor. If any of you guys build one it will be interesting to compare how this thing works at different speeds.

Last edited:

Rembetis

I have some 124 micron and 150 micron screen and have figured out a quick and easy fix to capture the stigmas. If i can find my velcro I will be in business.

Besides the Tora Bora I have Ace Lebanese lined up as well as Lapis Mountain Indica, KOS Deep Phaze and more of the Sinai.

Last edited:

Rembetis

As promised photos of the TRSC Tora Bora run 1. This was a combined run of trim and buds.

First photo is fresh out of the sifter.

Photo 2 & 3, resin from photo 1 scraped up into a pile. I did find a few Stigmas with the magnifier but it is nowhere near as contaminated or fluffy as the Sinai was. There was huge differences in temps so I wonder if that had anything to do with the amount of stigmas present or lack of?

Last edited:

EsterEssence

Veteran
I love clandestine manufacturing, great job. My tumbler uses a 110lpi screen, and for #1 I only tumble for 3 minutes for the top quality white powder...