What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado Crew: relocating in ‘21: current state of laws and EVERYTHING?!!!!

White Beard

Understood, man - would never leave something like that unattended, or be unprepared to put it thoroughly OUT. Fire safety is fundamental!

mexweed

Veteran
there are usually fire bans for part of sometimes most of the summer

it's sketchy when you're walking around in july and the ground is crunchier than fall leaves

X

xavier7995

Those fire bans suck. It makes camping in remote areas less fun...and it still gets really cold at night even mid summer if you are up high enough. Cold and can't roast hot dogs, no way jose.

I need to figure out exactly what qualifies for fire enclosures if not in a developed campground with metal fire rings, I was thinking a portable fire pit with lid. Seems we are always at a level 1 ban and those seem like reasonable restrictions, level 2 is a bit much but eh, beats the state burning down.

Edit: but yeah...fire safety is something I never really thought about, at least in the sense of how it has to be dealt with out here. Boy howdy people that visit get super salty when told not to throw cig butts around.

G

Good luck with outside crop at 8-9k. I live at 6300 and have never been able to get decent finish from any strain before killing temps and heavy snowfall. We had half ft. or more first week of September this year and single digit temps. Lots of good things here for inside growing though. Cool temps in Summer means little AC needed. Low humidity makes the risk of mold less of a problem. I usually have lots of difficulty keeping humidity high enough inside to avoid problems when the RH outside is at 10-20%. Just means you need humidifiers running often, especially in veg.

I would work on the inside setup first before putting work into plants outside that probably wont live past September, and if they do they probably wont be very good.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
White Beard I just wanted to wish you luck in what i know will be a very enjoyable adventure. I don’t live anywhere near there but like you i enjoy contemplating pieces of any worthy project. I have read through these responses and there is great information offered and it seems like a good area for sure. There are certainly many options and probably more considerations. There are many details of the property that will determine what will be best.

My thoughts would be to keep the outdoor plants in pots something like 20-50 gal sitting on sturdy pallets that you could move or drag into the barn when the cold weather arrives. Shoot for midsize plants maybe 5’ tall. Put them out in mid to late june. Have a corner in the barn to hang vertical bare hps/cmh bulbs pretty much as many as you could afford to run. 3-4 600 watters would finish off 12 5’ bushes. The more the better and the only heat i would pay for in that barn would be lights. Finish off the outdoor plants and run 12 plants in the barn all winter long in two small rooms with the best 2 lights you can acquire on opposite schedules finishing a room every month, one running day and one at night. Just simple wood framed foam board boxes. Like every thought, that is all it is until somebody makes it happen. It will be cool to see what you pull off.

I must say i am jealous of your new start and truly wish you the best sir. Take care.:plant grow:

DenverJim

I do what I want. Out in the sticks there are large grows. They caught some Mexican nationals growing along I-70 with a fence partially hiding it. In Denver weed is more popular than the politicians so they leave you alone.

White Beard

I do what I want. Out in the sticks there are large grows. They caught some Mexican nationals growing along I-70 with a fence partially hiding it. In Denver weed is more popular than the politicians so they leave you alone.
60 acres, @ 9000ft, I expect little interference from anyone: will mostly be seeking to keep my bro comfortable with my activities, and otherwise draw little attention.

Good luck with outside crop at 8-9k. I live at 6300 and have never been able to get decent finish from any strain before killing temps and heavy snowfall. We had half ft. or more first week of September this year and single digit temps. Lots of good things here for inside growing though. Cool temps in Summer means little AC needed. Low humidity makes the risk of mold less of a problem. I usually have lots of difficulty keeping humidity high enough inside to avoid problems when the RH outside is at 10-20%. Just means you need humidifiers running often, especially in veg.

I would work on the inside setup first before putting work into plants outside that probably wont live past September, and if they do they probably wont be very good.
Thanks much for the altitude tips...updated info, place is closer to 900ft - umm, 9000ft - asl than 8000. May need to give the outdoor plot an 80-90 day head start indoors, at least the first year...which will actually be the 2nd summer.

As you advise, I’ll be starting up indoors - see if I can’t get in a couple LED harvests between May and...May. MUCH research to be done that can only be done onsite before I ever start outdoor planting!

I won’t forget about the humidifiers!

White Beard I just wanted to wish you luck in what i know will be a very enjoyable adventure. I don’t live anywhere near there but like you i enjoy contemplating pieces of any worthy project. I have read through these responses and there is great information offered and it seems like a good area for sure. There are certainly many options and probably more considerations. There are many details of the property that will determine what will be best.

My thoughts would be to keep the outdoor plants in pots something like 20-50 gal sitting on sturdy pallets that you could move or drag into the barn when the cold weather arrives. Shoot for midsize plants maybe 5’ tall. Put them out in mid to late june. Have a corner in the barn to hang vertical bare hps/cmh bulbs pretty much as many as you could afford to run. 3-4 600 watters would finish off 12 5’ bushes. The more the better and the only heat i would pay for in that barn would be lights. Finish off the outdoor plants and run 12 plants in the barn all winter long in two small rooms with the best 2 lights you can acquire on opposite schedules finishing a room every month, one running day and one at night. Just simple wood framed foam board boxes. Like every thought, that is all it is until somebody makes it happen. It will be cool to see what you pull off.

I must say i am jealous of your new start and truly wish you the best sir. Take care.:plant grow:
I appreciate your kindness and commentary, now and always: it will indeed be an abrupt shift - I have no idea how well *I* will handle the 4000ft of extra elevation and the extremely low humidity, much less how the plants I so long to grow will handle it. I really hope the high-mountain strains I’m looking at will be able to survive the winters and establish themselves...I’m interested in those strains for themselves, not just for their possible survival under the conditions...but aboriginal strains aren’t the only ones I’m interested in: I hope to find an indoor breeding pair in the Cookie Wreck and Arcata Ghost seeds, and I’m deeply excited to find out what’s lurking in my stashes from ‘70s through the ‘90s.

Many have been generous in their offer of seeds, as you have been, and I hope to prove myself as a grower on the strength of what I have, before I undertake caring for genetics nurtured by others. Even without getting into my oldest seeds, or the few I purchased in anticipation, I ought to be able to get the job done - and with luck, be able to join the ones who have taken this step long before me.

I am old enough that this will be my last chapter, and while my siblings are all the family I have left, I love them dearly & look forward with deep satisfaction to sharing the final stretch with them. Growing cannabis is the dream of my life - one I’ve put off until the very last chance. Sounds like a good combination - my plants, my siblings, my freedom, good music, and some peace at long last.

There are a lot of details in your suggestions: good details; I’ll be studying them...you’ve already sparked good thoughts about how to keep simplifying.

I’m planning to share as much of the process here on IC as I can figure out how to do: I’ve learned so much here, it would only be right to give it back. It would put me among excellent company: my respect to you!

Last edited:

DenverJim

Nobody cares about what you grow period

Nobody cares about what you grow period

Everybody in my neighborhood knows I’ve been growing out back since 2011. In those days the traffic choppers would hover over and I’d wave at them. In 2014 I was informed by my my kids, who still live in the neighborhood, that they could see the plants because of the smell. It was late Oct. I had 3 Nevil’s superskunk plants 2 haze dominate massive plants.I naturally refused. I got ripped the next year after a crew of 15 guys came from the power company came to inspect a telephone pole. I let no one in my yard when I have plants in the ground. Got ripped again in ‘17. The chock cherry trees form a nice barrier and they bite.
Denver has been Califoricated which is sad.